Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About to order

Feedback Score

About to order

After many many many months of research, I have decided to order a upper and lower from Spikes tactical later today. I am new to this platform as a whole, would anyone mind letting me know if this is a good decision? I will be getting the lower: (Spider (Fire/Safe) Lower w/ Enhanced Kit - Black CTR Stock & MOE Grip) and the upper will be: (ST- Enhanced Upper- 16" Mid-Length w/ Handguard and FSB). The total will be $1,198.29 for those two as well as 2 pmags (30rds), a magpul MBUS rear folding sight, as well as an afg2. Once again, after much research i am strongly leaning to this. I know Colt has a lot of hype, however i feel i would be buying a name. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick1909 View Post
    After many many many months of research, I have decided to order a upper and lower from Spikes tactical later today. I am new to this platform as a whole, would anyone mind letting me know if this is a good decision? I will be getting the lower: (Spider (Fire/Safe) Lower w/ Enhanced Kit - Black CTR Stock & MOE Grip) and the upper will be: (ST- Enhanced Upper- 16" Mid-Length w/ Handguard and FSB). The total will be $1,198.29 for those two as well as 2 pmags (30rds), a magpul MBUS rear folding sight, as well as an afg2. Once again, after much research i am strongly leaning to this. I know Colt has a lot of hype, however i feel i would be buying a name. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your choice is neither a poor one nor a great one (in the middle).

Since you brought up Colt, I will take a moment to explain the "buying a name" comment. Colt is one of the few companies that actually holds the real Technical Data Package (TDP). This means that every single part on their gun has a spec and a standard that it HAS to follow. If the company you are buying an AR from does not hold this document, then you need to ask yourself; "what standard are they following?" Some companies follow very high standards because that is what the owner is about. Other companies are looking for the cheapest way to build an AR they can (that is their standard, cash in pocket).

Since we all buy and sell guns, the "Name" or brand of AR you are trying to sell becomes VERY important. Many people (that are into AR's) have NEVER heard of ST. My Mother (who doesn't shoot), knows who Colt is. So which gun do you think you can could sell and trade better with? Which one will hold its value better?

In regards to the price you are looking at, you can find Colt 6920's for around $1050. Assuming that you bought a Colt, you could sell the Rogers stock for $40-$60, Colt Carry Handle for $80-$100 and then added the CTR and MBUS you would be at $999.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    As grant stated, oftentimes you are paying more for a lesser quality product when compared to a Colt. If you're new to the platform then you should be learning how to shoot your gun rather than worrying about your
    Carrier key being properly staked or the myriad of other concerns
    that buying a non-mil-spec rifle brings.
    I'd recommend you go with a Colt, Daniel defense, or a BCM as would just about everyone else on this forum and then concentrate on training.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Grant answered well. But I'm curious where have you been researching for months that led you to believe Spikes is the best option?

Feedback Score
    Thanks all for the quick response!

Grant, in terms of the specs themselves is the colt far superior to what I posted? I would try to compare them myself however like I said I do not know enough about the platform yet! Thanks!!

-nick

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Thanks all for the quick response!

Grant, in terms of the specs themselves is the colt far superior to what I posted? I would try to compare them myself however like I said I do not know enough about the platform yet! Thanks!!

-nick
    IMHO, yes.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Do yourself a favor- do it right the first time and go for a top tier rifle.

I learned the hard way after purchasing a non-mil spec rifle for $200 more than what I could've purchased a Colt for. Even then, I had to drop another $150 for a properly spec'd bolt and carrier and another $40 for an H2 buffer for my overly gassed rifle. That's $1400 total and I still prefer the performance of my $1050 Colt before I did any other mods to it.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    Ouroborous,

I agree completely and I am trying to do that. The ST setup I posted is completely mil spec. Just not sure of the difference besides what grant told me.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ouroborous,

I agree completely and I am trying to do that. The ST setup I posted is completely mil spec. Just not sure of the difference besides what grant told me.
    ====================================

Only a Colt (or FN) is "mil-spec". There is (a lot) more to "mil-spec" than being able to swap parts and claiming to be "mil-spec".

You haven't "researched for months" on this site, if the best you can come up with is spending $150 more for a ST than you can buy a Colt.

If you're going to buy a ST, better hurry because the firearms market is about to the point where ST likes start scalping buyers...hurry...

But maybe it's just me...

Last edited by ucrt; 04-30-12 at 19:04.

Feedback Score
    For one i never said i researched this site for months. No need for rude remarks...just a new guy so relax. I spoke to a military buddy of mine about colts, and he told me to not go that route because the military only uses them due to their cheap cost to manufacture. I have no clue if this holds any truth, just a thought id add in for you guys.

So the colt 6920 is what I should be looking at? Just making sure.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast