Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On The AR Pistol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thoughts On The AR Pistol

I know there is a dedicated forum for the AR pistols but I am asking my question in this forum to get opinions from those that may not be fans of the platform.

These things fly off the shelves from the stores I frequent. Are they for real/legitimate? Do they serve a real purpose or are they a novelty? Anything they do better or worse than an SBR?

I want to hear the good and the bad.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I know there is a dedicated forum for the AR pistols but I am asking my question in this forum to get opinions from those that may not be fans of the platform.

These things fly off the shelves from the stores I frequent. Are they for real/legitimate? Do they serve a real purpose or are they a novelty? Anything they do better or worse than an SBR?

I want to hear the good and the bad.
    I am not a fan of the AR pistol, I see no reason to have one, own one or shoot one. I have SBR's. I see the pistols as a novelty because with an SBR you get a stock and therefore can sight the weapon easier, quicker, and more accurately at any distance. Additionally you can absorb the recoil better with a stock in your shoulder than only with a pistol grip in your hand.

The only thing they do better than an SBR is they are smaller, but given the reduced capabilities of a AR pistol... I'd rather stick with an SBR.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    AR pistols are the closest one can get to an SBR in a state like mine that doesn't allow SBR.

For the most part, I see them as a range toy or a stop gap to iron out reliability for a SBR project before the stamp arrives. Make a pistol, get it all setup, then when the F1 comes back, put the stock on and go on with life.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I see them to be more of a novelty, unless the owner lives in a state where SBR's are not allowed. Though the technology is coming around, they're a bit unwieldy compared to rifles, the buffer tube without a stock is pretty awkward.

If I lived in a state where I couldn't own SBR's, I would prefer to deal with maneuvering a 14.5' or 16' rifle.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Im from PA, where we can own pretty much own anything. There is a possibility of me moving to MI, which doesnt allow SBRs. In that case, an AR pistol would be as close as i could get.
    Additionally, i can build an AR pistol in PA, and then apply for a tax stamp and have a functioning rifle (pistol) while i wait, and then throw a stock on when legal.
    Not a novelty, a requirement for some because of senseless laws.

Feedback Score
    As mentioned, it's a novelty until my stamp arrives...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    There is a possibility of me moving to MI, which doesnt allow SBRs. In that case, an AR pistol would be as close as i could get.
    Just because it's the only thing you have legally have, doesn't mean it's not a novelty.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    I enjoy ar pistol. I'm in Cali and we obviously can own sbr at all. So what I have is an ar pistol with 11" barrel. Enough barrel length to achieve proper fragmentation of the round and it hits the minimum length out here to attach a forward grip.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My opinion is they are totally worthless. But then again I see very little real use for an SBR. They make sense for people having to get in and out of vehicles but for normal folks a 16 inch gun is fine. I have cleared many tight appartment or trailer house with a full size 16 inch AR. Nothing against them if thats what floats your boat but I believe more people have them for the CDI (chicks dig it) than for real world need.
    The one use I see for an SBR is so you can attach a suppressor and still have a reasonable length weapon.
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 05-04-12 at 00:13.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    It does not teach you to shoot a long gun. It does not teach you to shoot a pistol.
    It's an excuse to have a short barreled AR-15 platform where SBR's are not allowed. Or for guys who think the ATF paper work and $200 check is too much of a hassle.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast