Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can an 80% lower be a pistol lower?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Can an 80% lower be a pistol lower?

So I guess this is kind of a noob question, but if I get another 80% lower (current one on my 14.5 build), could I engrave "Pistol only" on it and turn it into a pistol lower for my next build? Or is this something an FFL would have to do? Thank you!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your creating the gun by finishing lower from 80%, no engraving is required. You can manufacture firearm for yourself, but cant sell or transfer weapon to anybody else if not mistaken. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30i_6awxEG4 I believe the same is for pistols.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 12-18-13 at 21:47.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the quick reply, so another question. Should I build the lower first, then buy the 10" barreled upper that I want? Just to stay on the NFA's safe side that is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore_dude View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, so another question. Should I build the lower first, then buy the 10" barreled upper that I want? Just to stay on the NFA's safe side that is.
    Not sure on that one. The safe side is usually pretty safe.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You can buy/own as many NFA uppers as you would like whether you have a pistol/sbr lower or not.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for that bit of info

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yfz View Post
    You can buy/own as many NFA uppers as you would like whether you have a pistol/sbr lower or not.
    The BATFE has been inconsistent on their responses to the question of short barreled uppers and rifle lowers. The following is from the BATFE. I have heard it quoted the other way as well. AFAIK it still hasn't been clarified 100%.

The definition of a firearm in section 5845 of the NFA includes a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length. An individual possessing more than one short (less than 16 inches) barreled upper receiver for a registered AR15 machinegun along with one or more semiautomatic AR15 rifles would have under their possession of control an unregistered short barreled rifle, a violation of the NFA.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    The BATFE has been inconsistent on their responses to the question of short barreled uppers and rifle lowers. The following is from the BATFE. I have heard it quoted the other way as well. AFAIK it still hasn't been clarified 100%.
    I guess I'll just go the safe route and build up the pistol lower first to be safe. The milling is the fun part anyway lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I guess I'll just go the safe route and build up the pistol lower first to be safe. The milling is the fun part anyway lol
    The milling is the best part! I Have yet to cut a lower (wish I had a mill), as a machinist its high on my to do list. What kind of mill are you using? Be sure and post pics and range report too.
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    The milling is the best part! I Have yet to cut a lower (wish I had a mill), as a machinist its high on my to do list. What kind of mill are you using? Be sure and post pics and range report too.
    It would be, if I had a proper mill, but I use a $120 drill press from Home Depot and used a 3/8 mill bit with an XY vise. After reading a lot of manuals, and going at it, it turned out very rough, and I had to do a lot of sanding and deburring. I ended up getting a CMC Trigger for it too, because I wasn't too sure if I milled the FCG pocket well enough. All that's left to shoot the 14.5 is to wait for the vltor buffer spring kit. The next 80 lower that I want to get is the new JMT polymer one. Heard of nothing but good reviews for it, and it's polymer so it'll be a lot easier to mill/drill, and plus it looks pretty slick. As of now, I don't really have anything for the pistol build but a bcg and the left over PSA LPK. But I was really inspired by one of Stickman's Noveske SBR builds, but since I don't want to hassle with the SBR route, stockless would be perfectly fine with me .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast