Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Thoughts On The AR Pistol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I finally built one of my lowers as a pistol with the Sig Brace. Not sure I'll ever submit to the registry for the privilege of putting a hard stock on it. I have a personal rule about not posting my firearms pics on the internet, but I have to say it's pretty damn sweet. I'd also make sure, just for giggles, to never show a pic with you holding to your shoulder.
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    If you have an old beat up full size van, a leather duster, and you hunt vampires you absolutely need an AR pistol tucked away with the crossbow and wooden stakes. Nothing says Close with the Enemy and Destroy Him quite like a sawed off long gun. It's a lifestyle.

Feedback Score
    I love 'em!

I own AR & AK pistols and AR & AK rifles, as well as some 'conventional' handguns. Each of them have their strengths and weaknesses, none of them fully replace the other.

Note, I am not an 'operator', so my usage so far is purely recreational, and I enjoy shooting both the rifles and pistols of each type. I practice equally with all of them so I am just as comfortable using my AR pistol as I am the rifle. I would feel 100% solid using any of them for self-defense if needed. However the circumstances of the situation would effect which one I grabbed first. I live on a large area of land, mostly cleared around the house with couple hundred yards visibility in most directions before it turns into forest. If I had threats gathering at a distance I would prefer the AR with optics. However my house itself has some narrow hallways and small rooms, so I would prefer either the AK or AR pistols for dealing with in-house threats. I would prefer those over the 'convention' handguns for a few reasons. First of all, forget trying to debate 9mm versus .45 ACP -- both the AR & AK pistols have far superior power and far more magazine capacity. Plus they both look a lot more intimidating than the other handguns -- and that is before the fireballs appear. So I don't feel the need to have only one weapon for all circumstances. Use each where I would feel most comfortable. If the zombies are breaking down my doors my AK pistol with 40rd mag would be my first grab!

Regarding 'cheek weld', that doesn't seem to bother me. When I was a small child shooting BB guns sometimes I would cheek weld, sometimes I wouldn't, so I feel comfortable shooting without it. Yes, I would prefer the cheek weld for 50 yard plus distances, but for the closer ranges I am plenty accurate with the pistol versions. Gets back to practice -- I shoot them all pretty equally and hitting the bullseye without cheek weld is not a problem.

I don't understand all the hate the pistol versions get. This is America! We have the right to own many types of firearms (well most of us anyway), and I think it is great to have so many options, regardless if you are choosing a firearm for defense or just a novelty/range toy. Toys are fun too! If you don't like a certain variety of firearm, nobody is forcing you to buy it. Why limit yourself? One of the fascinating things about firearms is the wide variety available. Both historically, tactically, mechanically, etc. I would eventually like to have a collection with just about every firearm known to mankind - I enjoy all of them for what they are. Plus always good to keep options open, never know what situation may come up that a specific weapon than normally would be dismissed may end up being ideal.

Don't hate on something just because it isn't your muse...

Peace.

Feedback Score
    I have a 7.5" AK pistol and a 7.5" AR pistol. The AR "was" chambered in 5.56 but I found it to be very wimpy with such a short barrel so I just changed out my upper with a 7.5" Noveske Diplomat in 6.8SPC. Now it has some punch. Love both the AR and AK pistols. They don't replace any of my long guns but are a great addition to my collection.

ETA: Looking long and hard at an 8.25" FAL pistol in 308 NATO.

MadDog

Feedback Score
    I dont know what all the noise is about. I can do almost anything with this firearm that I do with my 16" version all the way out to 200yards. I can nail a 12 inch gong @ 300 yards consistently also.

Last edited by quaesitor logica; 01-17-14 at 14:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post
    I am not a fan of the AR pistol, I see no reason to have one, own one or shoot one. I have SBR's. I see the pistols as a novelty because with an SBR you get a stock and therefore can sight the weapon easier, quicker, and more accurately at any distance. Additionally you can absorb the recoil better with a stock in your shoulder than only with a pistol grip in your hand.

The only thing they do better than an SBR is they are smaller, but given the reduced capabilities of a AR pistol... I'd rather stick with an SBR.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Welcome to the age of the Sig/Tac SB15 pistol stabilizing brace!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112