Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to my .308 Rem 700 SPS Tactical

Feedback Score

Upgrade to my .308 Rem 700 SPS Tactical

Installed a Timney trigger and an H&S stock.

Shot it today from the bench with sandbags at 100yds.

I think it likes the 168 match ammo better than the 149gr.

"You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Try some 175SMK. You'll have the accuracy, but be able to get to a grand without issue. 168's leave a bit to be desired.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Try some 175SMK. You'll have the accuracy, but be able to get to a grand without issue. 168's leave a bit to be desired.
    My current range only goes out to 100yds which the 168gr performs very well at.

If I can ever get to a range past 600 or 800 yards I may try some 175gr SMK.

Thanks.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I see your above post and understand you have no access to a range beyond 100 yards at present. However I cant stress enough shooting the rifle at 2-300 yards and seeing how it groups. Its a much better test of how it will preform at longer ranges. 100 yards realy dosent tell you much, some times it will work out well for you and others well lets just say you will be amazed.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I see your above post and understand you have no access to a range beyond 100 yards at present. However I cant stress enough shooting the rifle at 2-300 yards and seeing how it groups. Its a much better test of how it will preform at longer ranges. 100 yards realy dosent tell you much, some times it will work out well for you and others well lets just say you will be amazed.
    No argument there, it's just not easy to find a range close by at 200-300 yards.

100yds does tell me if I'm doing anything right or wrong. That is the first time the rifle grouped that well using the 168gr. Before the stock and trigger upgrade even the 168gr ammo didn't group that well.

BTW I am a very new precision rifle shooter and 100yards is a good test for my level (low) of experience.

Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Very well.

Print this. Then shoot one round per dot at 100yds... and post the results here. Be honest.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Very well.

Print this. Then shoot one round per dot at 100yds... and post the results here. Be honest.
    I have a similar target I got from Snipershide. Now that I have my rifle working well I will try that and post it.

Is shooting from a bench with sandbags alright or does it have to be prone?

I am teaching a handgun class for the next 4 consecutive weekends, 5 if it rains. It will be a month till I get to shoot it.

Honest is my middle name.
    Last edited by NavyDavy55; 05-02-12 at 19:04. Reason: spelling errors bug me

Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    I don't care how you shoot it or what target you use. The important thing to take away from it is to stop shooting for group size, and start shooting for POI to match your POA.

The snipershide dot drill only had 15 dots... I like to shoot 20. You'd be amazed at how much more difficult it is to keep your shit together for those last 5.

If you want an endurance test... staple up 5 of them. It's the ultimate test of NPA. If you aren't exhausted by the end of a hundred honest shots... you are doing it right.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CC4me View Post
    Installed a Timney trigger and an H&S stock.
    If you're coming from the Hogue stock and factory trigger, the improvement should be easy to spot.

Cool target - I will need to give that one a try.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    at the Rifles Only Bushnell Brawl last month...we had a dot drill stage that involved shooting 20 rounds, one each at 20 1" dots on a sheet of computer paper, from 100 yards laying in the texas dirt. Your ammo was located approx 12' away and you were only allowed to take one round at a time to the line, so you had to get up and walk about 24' between shots and you had a 10 min time limit. (iirc)

out of ~95 shooters:

8 hit all 20 dots
    6 hit 19 (i was in this group)
    9 hit 18
    5 hit 17
    6 hit 16
    11 hit 15
    6 hit 14
    (i stopped here just cause i got tired of counting. it keeps going on down. i think 5 hits was the low)

so that should give you a goal or at least a benchmark to compare your results to. obviously, this is a very competitive match that people flew in from all over the country to attend so the scores don't really reflect 'average shooters'.

honestly, as a stage i think this is really boring. (fortunately, there were some great stages there as well, including the helicopters and mousetraps) but dot drills are great for diagnostics and practice.

shooting the first 10 or so will tell you what your rifle/ammo are doing. the next 10 will tell you more about your mental state than the gun. after that, stuff like fatigue starts coming into play (i mean e.g. your pupils dilating in the tx sun on a bright white piece of paper, and the sweat in your eyes, and by that time the fire ants have found you, etc.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast