Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gabe Suarez?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Source View Post
    I know I am not at all objective RE this matter but at the moment I am personally interested in the most effective methodologies for killing folks that need killing. Regardless of source.
    If some jailbird comes up with the holy grail of Kick Ass Fu...... I will see what he has to say.
    Some very bad people are very good at messing people up.
    There are a number of instructors out there of impeccable character and a service record that is marked by faithful and valorous service to our nation either as a member of the military or as a police officer or both. These men have also seen combat and are sought out by people who face combat as a part of their daily life to prepare them for the moment when they have to employ lethal force to save their life.

Larry Vickers, Travis Haley, and a number of other trainers who post on this very site (and a fair number that don't) would be good examples of what I am talking about.

Nobody serving a prison sentence is going to come up with the "holy grail" of "kick ass fu".

If you want "effective" seek out some people who have used lethal force LEGALLY and who have managed to keep themselves out of prison.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    There are a number of instructors out there of impeccable character and a service record that is marked by faithful and valorous service to our nation either as a member of the military or as a police officer or both. These men have also seen combat and are sought out by people who face combat as a part of their daily life to prepare them for the moment when they have to employ lethal force to save their life.

Larry Vickers, Travis Haley, and a number of other trainers who post on this very site (and a fair number that don't) would be good examples of what I am talking about.

Nobody serving a prison sentence is going to come up with the "holy grail" of "kick ass fu".

If you want "effective" seek out some people who have used lethal force LEGALLY and who have managed to keep themselves out of prison.
    My Kick Ass Fu remark was just to illustrate a point that I want to learn what works and I PERSONALLY dont give a crap where it comes from.

I have read and benifitted greatly from Larry Vickers writings and equipment development (especially the slings! Good Job!) and I am sure that Travis Haley is money well spent as well.

Nobody holds the single key to ultimate truth and Gabe is teaching relevant and usefull material as well.

Beautifull thing about where we live is we get to decide how to spend our money and are free to voice our opinions.

FYI,
    Gabe has never been to prison,
    It was county jail for a misdemeanor.
    Here is a link where he discusses it quite openly:

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...ht=gabes+story
    Last edited by 1 Source; 01-07-08 at 20:10. Reason: Sling Attribution

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Folks lets stay on topic here. The man asked about his training and wanted some feedback on that. Don't make me get all Ninja on you all...
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Source View Post
    When has this actually happened?
    I am not taking a potshot here.
    If this is true I would genuinely like to know about it.

Most appreciative if you can provide supporting evidence.(I know it is a PITA but it is like doing your good deed for the day)
    Discovery is part of the normal process of pre-trial motions. I am not an attorney, just a cop. I can dig up some of my case law stuff regarding police officers involved in shootings and how liability attaches to the agency and trainer after an officer involved shooting, especially their training records, qualifications, maintenance history of the weapons they used and the curriculum vitae of the agency instructor(s).

Is this what you are looking for? BTW, I am not a member of the chicken little fan club in regards to ideas about liability. I do not believe liability should be our main concern in self-defense situations. Taking the morally-correct and ethical actions + winning the fight is foremost; I can always earn more money and get another job. I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror if I violated my oath or failed to act ethically in the performance of my duty.

I have had bad training before, not from Mr. Suarez or his company, that I will have to list if I am sued after a shooting. I will have to explain that training if I am ever in a shooting. I am now extremely careful who I choose to spend my training dollars with.
    Last edited by Patrick Aherne; 01-07-08 at 21:32. Reason: clarification

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Delete
    Last edited by sjc3081; 07-20-11 at 16:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Given the number of options in the market, the total costs (both money and time) of spending 2-5 days doing something, pretty much everything matters to me. Suarez has been a non-issue to me (other than his books are pretty good), but there are other instructors and organizations that I specifically won't patronize because I just don't like the way they conduct themselves. That's my right. I'm not missing much (if anything), because there are plenty of options. It might be different if it was a "sole source provider" situation, but it's not.
    After reading all of these posts, I pretty much have to agree with Rhino. I want to know that the instructor that I am studying with is "Sterling" as far as reputation, background, and credentials in case it ever ends up in court.

After all, don't most instructors make sure we are "Sterling" before they take us on with their application policies?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I call Gabe a friend. He's went out of his way to help me out more than once with both training and gear on short notice. I've always found his training and teaching style to be professional and presented in an easy to understand way. He always says he teaches a way, not necessarily the way. He believes in what he teaches, but doesn't force feed anything. If you don't agree with him, he will ask why and if you have a valid reason or better way he's not above incorporating it and giving credit. As 1 Source has said all he asks is that you spell his name correctly when you give him some internet/press time.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I took Gabe's basic AK class not to long ago. Time well spent. He treated us with courtesy and respect, and pretty much everyone walked away with a better understanding of the AK. Lots of trigger time and drills.

I'd take another class from him, no problems.

Here's an honest question though. Is there any case law on the subject of firearms training liability for non-military/LEO? Can someone cite a case where this has come into play?
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I believe the content of the training would be attacked more than the character of the instructor. Would excellent instruction/material and instructor with a misdemeanor record get you in trouble or would bad instruction/material and instructor with no record get you in trouble?

My point being any attorney can try anything but what would matter more is the instructors lesson plans/ training documentation/ experience/ training business practices/ how they manage cross examination. Would a criminal record matter?? not as much as the items listed above IMO

Feedback Score
    Speak of the devil, and well....Boo!

If you don't want to come to my training because I am not sterling, cool....I am certainly NOT sterling...I am more like "parkerized with a little rust, and I don't need you. And I certainly don't need any holier-than-thou internal affairs cops who feel dirty being in the same room with me (the feeling is mutual boys). In fact, if I have an ALL CIVILIAN class, I am quite happy.

Have I been to jail? Yep. And I am neither apologetic nor ashamed of it. You can read all of it on www.warriortalk.com forum. That it doesn't matter can be seen by how successful Suarez International is. All you have to do is look at my schedule for 2008. While many other folks are canceling classes, I am adding more. This year we will be teaching in Europe again. Last year we were in Europe and South America.

I have over 24 contract instructors on 5 continents, and more classes going on than probably anyone else in the business. And almost ALL CIVILIANS. I have a very successful gear company (One Source Tactical) as well as my own publishing company Infidel Media Group.

So I guess outside of the liability-fearing cops, and "gun mafia" groupies, being an outlaw is not bad for business. I could retire this year and go live in Costa Rica if I wanted to, and allow the Suarez Group to run itself and send me some beer money now and then. But not yet.

Felon? Nope...Misdemeanors only....I had a good lawyer. Proof? Anyone who comes to class can see my AZ CCW license if they wish. I keep it right next to one I have for Colombia.

On the myth of the "Instructor Rescue". I have a man on staff who has employed just about all of the current "popular" instructors at one time or another...as well as fired them for various crimes that would made what I went through seem like a traffic ticket. Trust me on this when I tell you that everyone has a nice big suitcase of dirty laundry in their closets.

And if you shoot the wrong guy, or do something stupid, do you think your knight in shining armor instructor will come to save you? Grow up and smell the coffee. If you think that you are a fool. You own everything you do bro, regardless of who taught it to you.

And as for what I teach? I will say that if you are a liability-fearing cop, you should not come to my class. In fact, seriously, do not come.

I teach my guys how to shoot their enemies to the ground, or stab them to the ground if all they have is a knife, or beat them into the ground. I teach them to operate in the Non-Permissive Environment where carrying any weapon is not cool, but they will do it anyway, both here and overseas. I also teach them to manage and control the investigation afterwards, and how the police will question them. Yep...I tell them all the tricks we used to use to get guys to admit to stuff.

I also teach them things like Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting, Terrorist/Active Shooter Interdiction, and Guerrilla Sniping. We have bad guys on staff to teach "bad guy stuff", and we have members of foreign militaries on staff as well...some that used to be our enemies. A good look at what we are teaching, writing, and producing via DVD would shock the hell out of liberal politicians, and police administrators.

And credentials? I am not on any government agency's payroll, America is free, and my students prize their privacy. I do not require a badge, or a letter from your senator, or anything like that. The only credentials you need is a credit card.

My goal is simple. Through my organization, I will teach the good guys (determined by me as to who they are) how to kill the bad guys with any and all possible implements, to facilitate good triumphing over evil. That is it. So simple that a caveman could do it.

Well....got to go gents. I am shooting another DVD today.

Gabe Suarez
    Suarez International USA, Inc.
    One Source Tactical
    Infidel Media Group
    info@suarezinternational.com
    Cell 928-308-1512

Spaniard by Heritage
    Cuban by Birth
    Christian by Grace
    American by Choice

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast