Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10.5" barreled upper

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

10.5" barreled upper

i am in the process of building an ar with a 10.5" barrel. i read somewhere that i may not be able to use a front sight gas block with a bayonet lug on it. is that true? also, i would need to use a pistol stock, correct? i haven't ordered any lower parts yet so i want to make sure before i buy anything and can't use it. i live in ohio if that matters. any info would help greatly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you dont have the SBR paperwork you will need to have your lower configured as a pistol. This also means no verticle grips on the upper.

Edit: I misread your OP. Several companies make 10.5 inch barrels with a standard FSB.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...status=&title=
    Last edited by C-grunt; 04-30-12 at 18:15.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i see on the site you posted that it also has a full stock and not a pistol stock. don't i need to get a lower with a pistol stock or not? i was under the impression i needed a pistol stock. what a pain this seems to be.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Are you building a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) or are you building a "Pistol" type AR?

You're not making it very clear as to what you"re wanting to build.

I have a 10.5" SBR and it has an "F" marked FSB with bayonet lug and there's no problems with it.

I'm not all too sure about OH laws regarding SBRs, I would suggest looking up your state and local laws prior to building.

Another great reference area on M4C is the NFA section. There is a whole lotta information there regarding NFA builds/items.

Quote Originally Posted by jeto View Post
    i am in the process of building an ar with a 10.5" barrel. i read somewhere that i may not be able to use a front sight gas block with a bayonet lug on it. is that true? also, i would need to use a pistol stock, correct? i haven't ordered any lower parts yet so i want to make sure before i buy anything and can't use it. i live in ohio if that matters. any info would help greatly.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    next question. if i were to buy a 5.5" flash hider, could i use the rifle lower with rifle stock? it would bring the barrel length to a total of 16"s.

http://www.ftfindustries.com/mm5/mer...gory_Code=ARMA

isn't that the same thing as my 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" flash hider, making it a total of 16"s?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i am wanting to build a short barreled rifle

Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Are you building a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) or are you building a "Pistol" type AR?

You're not making it very clear as to what you"re wanting to build.

I have a 10.5" SBR and it has an "F" marked FSB with bayonet lug and there's no problems with it.

I'm not all too sure about OH laws regarding SBRs, I would suggest looking up your state and local laws prior to building.

Another great reference area on M4C is the NFA section. There is a whole lotta information there regarding NFA builds/items.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Go here:

http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Lots of great information for you to start with.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeto View Post
    next question. if i were to buy a 5.5" flash hider, could i use the rifle lower with rifle stock? it would bring the barrel length to a total of 16"s.
    You'd have to permanently attach the flash hider, but yes, that would be legal to use with a rifle lower. If you're going to go that route, you may as well just get a 16" barrel...I don't see the point in a 10.5" barrel with a permed 5.5" FH...

ETA: If you want to go the SBR route, do plenty of research on here. There is a ton of information. It seemed like a pain in the ass to me at first too but it's actually pretty simple.
    Last edited by MrSmitty; 04-30-12 at 18:49.

Feedback Score
    If you want to build a Short Barrelled Rifle(SBR), you'll need to file paper work as mentioned above. Or...you could put the upper on a pistol lower, which in itself has it's own restrictions(less ideal choice IMHO)
    I suggest you browse the NFA section and more importantly check your state's NFA laws.

For your next question: if i were to buy a 5.5" flash hider, could i use the rifle lower with rifle stock? it would bring the barrel length to a total of 16"s.

http://www.ftfindustries.com/mm5/mer...gory_Code=ARMA

isn't that the same thing as my 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" flash hider, making it a total of 16"s?

-- yes but it would no longer be an SBR. It would just be another 16" carbine, minus the benefits of a real 16" barrel.
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 04-30-12 at 18:53.

Feedback Score
    Quis notitia obtulit in hoc post non conatus, uti vel experirer quia habet nullam in nunc evidentiam.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast