Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Professional or Wilson CQB

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregshin View Post
    you going with a light rail?

if not then maybe consider a les baer TRS
    The TRS is no more - but their UTC is virtually the same thing. I still think the CC is the best model LB makes, but then again I've wound up with two used TRSs I found at great prices.

If you're willing to drop an aftermarket barrel into a base springfield or a base colt, there is an argument for getting a ~$1000 base model and building it into exactly what you want, but if sounds like the OP is looking for complete bespoke models in the range of the Baer Custom Carry, Brown Executive Elite, Wilson CQB, or SA Pro FBI derivative.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    In my opinion the fit and finish on the Wilson wins over the Spingfield.

As far as reliability in adverse conditions. I like to break in my 1911s first (1000+ rounds). Then when running, keep them wet (well lubed) as opposed to squeaky clean. Never had a problem with any of my Wilson's choking.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The TS fit was not performed very well on either, thus engagement on sear with safety "on" was not enough to immobilize IMHO. Both had chamber cut too high, whereas, the ejector was not getting good contact on shell for ejection. Barrel frame ramp too shallow on both and VIS not relieved enough. And one had issue with barrel hood not being cut level causing another prob with lower lug.

No big deal, all of above was easily fixed, and both are in happy homes leading productive lives currently.
    Last edited by lordofbarbeque; 05-02-12 at 06:28.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I owned a Pro and sold it a while back, just wasn't what I expected. I know there is MIM debate, but around $2600 or so for a new Pro, I don't feel it should have any MIM parts, regardless of how it performs, but that's just my opinion.

Between the two, it should boil down to preference, both should be able to take hard-use. I do still own a CQB and feel it's an excellent pistol and hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofbarbeque View Post
    Barrel frame ramp too shallow on both and VIS not relieved enough.
    I had the same problem with two of my SA Custom Shop pistols, one being a Pro, so it's good to know it wasn't just me.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Having just looked at two PRO's, I was not impressed.

Go with WC.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofbarbeque View Post
    The TS fit was not performed very well on either, thus engagement on sear with safety "on" was not enough to immobilize IMHO. Both had chamber cut too high, whereas, the ejector was not getting good contact on shell for ejection. Barrel frame ramp too shallow on both and VIS not relieved enough. And one had issue with barrel hood not being cut level causing another prob with lower lug.

No big deal, all of above was easily fixed, and both are in happy homes leading productive lives currently.
    Thanks for the info. What is "VIS"? I have both the Professional and the CQB and neither have been fired much. I need to downsize a bit and since both have been fired less than 50 rounds (bought both new), I don't have any experience with what to expect in terms of long-time reliability. I need to decide which to sell. Both of them are about 8 years old.

It's been a tough decision. Thanks for all the feedback.
    Last edited by Race; 05-02-12 at 09:59.

Feedback Score
    The VIS is the Verticle Impact Surface. That is where the lower barrel lugs contact the receiver when the barrel links down. Its forward of the feed ramp and rearward of the cross pin hole. The bottom of the VIS should be relieved by milling which takes stress off the lower lugs where the contact the slide stop when the pistol is in battery. The VIS almost looks like a bow tie.
    Last edited by Henchman; 05-02-12 at 11:52.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My two Pros were outstanding. My two Wilsons not so much. One had hammer follow and double fires, the other was misfiring. Both had crooked slide to frame fit. Both were sent back for service, and came back with things they broke, or "forgot". I'm positive they can do better, but at this point I would not drop the insane amount of cash they want for a new one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In all honesty I probably should not have mentioned these little things that occurred with those pistols, because it always turns into pissing match.

It boils down to this, would I buy another SA, yes, in a heartbeat. That is because their customer service has been excellent ( to me ) and they make a great product for the money. The GI, Milspec, and used Loadeds are the best bang for your buck. Buy one, shoot the shit out of it and then figure out what is important and what is not. ( ie, why do a rightie need a ambi ) I hate them, so for me I don't want a ambi on my pistol. A leftie is a diff. story, and so on.

The SA custom shop has done some excellent work on one of my pistols. But sometimes ( me included ) we feel the need to have the best of the best of the best. Nothing wrong there, just don't go blowing smoke thinking that it hammers the cockroach any better than inexpensive hammer with a reliabilty job. JMHO.

Not arguing for or against Wilson, I haven't been inside one, so I don't know.

In the end, why spend all that money unless you know exactly what you want. And that is why you should buy a lower priced model, shoot it in class, training or whatever and figure out what is important to YOU. Buying the high end production pistol from ANY of the big manufacturers does not guarantee you won't have issues.
    Last edited by lordofbarbeque; 05-02-12 at 16:32.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've owned both. They are both well made. Pick the one that has features you like. Ambi safety vs single. 20 LPI vs 30 LPI checkering. Novak vs Wilson sights. Ect ect.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast