Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Professional or Wilson CQB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Having just looked at two PRO's, I was not impressed.

Go with WC.

C4
    The one Pro had been back to Springfield Custom for peening of the slide stop notch after about 1500rds or so. It also has poor beavertail fit for a higher end gun. The other has a rear sight that extends past the end of slide. The feed ramps on both are short. Both have run well so far and been very accurate, but knowing what I know now I would buy a Wilson. Professionals are not worth the prices people are getting for them, but do have good resale. I think it was better when I believed the hype.
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    I have these 2 PRO's:

Springfield TRP PRO Duo.jpg

The non-railed version was purchased in 2005 and was sent back to the Springfield Custom Shop for a new extractor in the first 100 rounds. After that, it ran like a champ and now has about 4000 rounds thru her. The railed gun only has about 1000 rounds but there has not been any problems.

As four your question about austere conditions, the DEA agents that I met on my last trip to A-stan were using PRO's. I imagine that the FBI regional SWAT and HRT give them a good workout. In addition, about 150 PRO's were acquired by the Marines in 2005 for use by some MEU(SOC) units. I'm not not aware of WC pistols being used by any large agencies or being tested to the extent of the PRO. Having said that, I'm sure that the CQB will go bang when you pull the trigger under most conditions.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have owned two Wilsons and one was problematic.
    Wilson tap danced around the issue and after twice back to the factory and the issue not being resolved, my gunsmith got it to run (with ball ammo anyhow) and I sold it. They went so far as to try and blame me for limp wristing this steel gun (although I never even had that issue with any of the six aluminum / smaller 1911s that I have owned). Then they told me that they didn't find anything wrong after test firing it (second trip back) but the rep didn't get his story straight as the gunsmith sent all of the parts that were replaced back in the case with the gun and you could see the freshly blued parts
    on the gun.
    My Pro did have one issue and Springfield's customer service was the best that I have ever experienced. With the Pro's testing track record, how Springfield treated me and how my Pro is my favorite of nearly a dozen 1911s that I own including a Chuck Rogers Colt,
    I think that the Pro is an incredible value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hogs gone wild,
    Are you saying that you prefer the SA pro over a custom built Chuck Rogers Colt 1911 pistol?

I have seen examples of both, and while not knocking the SA custom shop, you would be hard pressed to convince me that a Pro is in Rogers' league. He may not be the nicest pig in the litter, but he has few peers in his craft.

Feedback Score
    I'd take a Baer UTC and a Dillon 550 over either of them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Having just looked at two PRO's, I was not impressed.

Go with WC.

C4

What about them didn't impress you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
    I'd take a Baer UTC and a Dillon 550 over either of them.
    Baer's not all he's cracked up to be. I'd go with the Wilson in a heartbeat over a Baer. I'd go with just about any higher end gun, either a Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, WC, SPringfield TRP, etc. over a Baer, though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofbarbeque View Post
    Hogs gone wild,
    Are you saying that you prefer the SA pro over a custom built Chuck Rogers Colt 1911 pistol?

I have seen examples of both, and while not knocking the SA custom shop, you would be hard pressed to convince me that a Pro is in Rogers' league. He may not be the nicest pig in the litter, but he has few peers in his craft.
    The Pro earned it's reputation in some serious testing. Not many can claim that.

My Rogers Colt is prettier than the pro, carries better from the rounding, melting, golf-balling, etc., and would fetch a much higher resale than the Pro (although Pros hold their value well). They both are equally accurate. I would trust either one more than any 1911 that I have owned before and would choose them both over most anything else on the market. Chuck's work is a bit of art, although, my example isn't the fanciest one he has made. It was set up to function, for sure.

Something about the Pro, I just like shooting it more than my Rogers' Colt. Just a bit. They are both good guns and all business but if I had to pay what I could probably fetch for my Colt (I got a smoking deal, used, as new) I would buy the Pro and pocket the difference (enough for another Pro) and never look back. My Pro looks like the epitome of what a 1911 should look like (in my mind) and it was a very good value. Chuck's Colt was an incredible find and I often think of it as a good investment. Both are very trustworthy and both are fun to shoot. Can't do better than that.

Thought I would add (for perspective) that I sent my Pro back to the Custom Shop to remove the extended magwell and install a flush mainspring housing, plus, they brought the trigger down to a dreamy four pound crisp pull.
    Last edited by Hogsgunwild; 05-03-12 at 16:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaKilo View Post
    Baer's not all he's cracked up to be. I'd go with the Wilson in a heartbeat over a Baer. I'd go with just about any higher end gun, either a Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, WC, SPringfield TRP, etc. over a Baer, though.
    My gunsmith field stripped and looked at my Baer SRP and my Springfield Pro, side by side one day. He found about six things that he pointed out to me that were flaws or just poorly fitted items in the Baer. When he looked over my Springfield Pro, he was impressed with the quality and found nothing wrong with it. Both guns have run well although I did have an extractor issue with the Baer. I fixed that myself in time to put 900 rounds through it in a class with zero failures to feed or function. The issues that my gunsmith pointed out were things that he explained were sloppy and could bite me if left unchecked over time. The SRP was very accurate but everything about it seemed cruder than my Pro. The Pro has a much crisper / better trigger than the Baer. The Baer cost nearly what the Pro cost but I don't feel it was in the same class as the Pro, at all.
    The Baer did not hold it's value at all and one gentleman got a hell of a deal on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaKilo View Post
    I'd go with the Wilson in a heartbeat over a Baer.

No shit, they're also $800 more.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast