Thread: 3-gun question (shotgun)

Feedback Score

3-gun question (shotgun)

Most everything I have read recommends the use of a semi-auto with a barrel length of 20"-21" that accepts choke tubes or a has a improved cylinder.

I understand the semi-auto thing (Time issue).
    I understand the choke tube/improved cylinder thing (shot grouping).
    The barrel length gets me though. Shorter is better for target transition, reduces weight and makes it easier to carry slung. So why not use a shotgun like the bennelli m2 tactical, it accepts choke tubes, it's semi-auto, holds 8 rounds and has an 18.5" barrel? Is there something I'm overlooking?
    Antonio

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aanayab1 View Post
    Most everything I have read recommends the use of a semi-auto with a barrel length of 20"-21" that accepts choke tubes or a has a improved cylinder.

I understand the semi-auto thing (Time issue).
    I understand the choke tube/improved cylinder thing (shot grouping).
    The barrel length gets me though. Shorter is better for target transition, reduces weight and makes it easier to carry slung. So why not use a shotgun like the bennelli m2 tactical, it accepts choke tubes, it's semi-auto, holds 8 rounds and has an 18.5" barrel? Is there something I'm overlooking?
    The vast majority of the 3gunners I know use a 20"-24" barrel. I use a FN SLP Mk1 with a 24" vent rib barrel. Most Benellis with a 18.5" barrel will have a magazine tube longer than the barrel to get 8 rounds. I like the 24" because it get better velocities and thus the 7.5 sized shot knocks steel down better. I don't find it to big even with Briley extended choke tubes. I think 26" would be pushing it though.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Robb Jensen: Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure if I'll be using my mossberg 835 24" or purchasing a new semi-auto for starting up. The club I'll be at told me mine is fine for starting but will slow me down. I'm kinda torn on which models would be appropriate and not. Your comment will help narrow it down.

Antonio
    Antonio

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think the idea is more velocity, better sight radius without being too cumbersome. I have a 18.5 with a +5 tube and it is a bit funky looking.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I run a 21" M2 with a Nordic tube. It allows me to load 9 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. I start with 8 in the tube and when the timer goes off I load my 9th round. With a Shotgun you can never have too many rounds in the gun.
    May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.

Feedback Score
    I don't agree with the concept that shorter barrels "transition" faster. I've gone from a 21 in Benelli barrel to a 26 in VersaMax barrel and have noticed no decreases in my transition times. Note that Sporting clays shooters use 30 or even 32 inch barrels and their entire sport is about swinging the gun around.

What I have noticed is that the increased sight radius of the VersaMax does help when shooting more technical slug targets. I use an XS express rear sight and a fiber optic front sight.

As mentioned above, more velocity does not hurt either.

As with everything else, life is full of trade offs for there will stages where longer barrels are harder to manuever around props. They tend to be few and far between but you will eventually encounter a stage where a long barrel is going to hurt you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A lot of the shorter 18" barrels come with Ghost ring or Rifle sights. Most guys feel those are slower than a vent rib setup especially on flying targets.

Feedback Score
    Okay, after a lot of reading and debating over what to do I placed my order for an FN SLP MK 1 Competition shotgun. Unfortunately they are apparently on back order and can take a week to 3 months till it is in my hands.... I HATE WAITING.... but I feel confident in my decision and hope I do not regret the money spent on it. If any one has experience with this gun please share your experience.
    Antonio

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aanayab1 View Post
    Okay, after a lot of reading and debating over what to do I placed my order for an FN SLP MK 1 Competition shotgun. Unfortunately they are apparently on back order and can take a week to 3 months till it is in my hands.... I HATE WAITING.... but I feel confident in my decision and hope I do not regret the money spent on it. If any one has experience with this gun please share your experience.
    If you can get a regular SLP Mk 1 faster you might want to do that. I was talking to the team FN guys at the Texas Multigun and asked what the difference was with the "competition" model and the guy (who will remain unnamed) looked me in the eye and said "It's blue"... They did open up the loading port a bit, but nothing you can't do with a dremel on a regular SLP.

I personally run an SLP with a Nordic Components +3 magazine extension that extends a bit past the barrel and love it.

Feedback Score
    biglucky: Thank you so much for that bit of information. I will read up on the specs for both and make a trip to the gun shop first thing in the morning, again thank you. You very well may have just saved me some money I can use toward other needed gear.

Antonio
    Antonio