Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunsite's Indiana Pistol 150 and YFA's Tactical Hangun Stage I

Feedback Score

Gunsite's Indiana Pistol 150 and YFA's Tactical Hangun Stage I

Hey all. My budget may only allow for only one pistol course this year and I'm between Gunsite's Indiana Pistol 150 and Louis Awerbuck's Tactical Handgun Stage I.

If you have attended any of them, I would appreciate your opinions on the course(s). I'm not asking which one is better; I'm just interested on what they have to offer and make a decisions based on my needs.

Gunsite's course requires 800 whereas YFA's 500. Are both courses at about the same skill level?

Thanks.

Ps. I realize "handgun" is misspelled in the title. You try typing one-handed while holding a baby who is intent on falling head first on the floor.
    "However horrible the incident of war may be, the soldier who is called upon to offer his life for his country, is the noblest development of mankind." - General of the Army Douglas MacArthur, Manila, 24 August 1936

Feedback Score
    You are talking about the classes in Lebanon, IN correct? If so, get in touch with the host, also The Sheriff there. Explain your situation. Ken is a phenominally decent gentleman, he'll give you the best answer.

If you don't have POC info for him, let me know - I have it.
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Feedback Score
    I second Erick's sentiments, and i will add the following. They have been hosting classes at that location long enough to have it down to an art, the classes run very smoothly and all the logistics are taken care of. Getting to and from the range from the local lodging is very easy and the cost of it is very reasonable i think it was right around 70 bucks a night including breakfast.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe that Ken teaches the class with Jay Tuttle. I have both attend classes at Boone county and have taken a class with both Ken and Jay. They are filled with knowledge, and you can't find more decent guys. You can find their Bio's on the Gunsite website.

Erik

My standard disclaimer...I have nothing to gain by passing this along.

Feedback Score
    E ... I think you would be well-served by either. If there is any way you could do both, I would. Both classes will stress fundamentals. The Gunsite 150 will be the same material pretty much any time you do it. In my experience, no two classes with Louis have been "identical," although all have covered the fundamentals thoroughly.

Louis is the Yoda of defensive shooting. I've been through his handgun I,II, problem solver, several HITT classes, and carbine maybe five times. If you're having any kind of problems with your shooting, he's the guy who will see what you're doing wrong and get you "fixed."

He will make you think and when you think you've got something figured out, he'll throw in another twist. He helped me trick myself into believing that I saw a numeral 8 painted on a target when what I really saw was a numeral 3. Evey shot he has you fire will have some kind of educational merit or training objective, which is why the rounds counts may not be as high as some others (not referring to Gunsite 150, but other instructors).

Another key element is the use of non-typical targets. You will very quickly progress from flat paper to flat paper at angles, to 3-D paper where you have to really think about shot placement depending on your position relative to the target. You'll also get to use two really useful moving target systems that help Louis teach you lessons that are worth the price of the class. You really have to put it all together in terms of your marksmanship to solve the problem.

Although I've not completed Gunsite 150, I have had the distinct pleasure of being in Ken's 2-day intro to the defensive pistol class and the Gunsite 123 carbine class. In addition, Ken has been the assistant in almost every other class I've done at Boone Co. As far as the Gunsite 150 goes, you will be getting the Gunsite curriculum. That's not a bad thing, but it is what it is. Given that, in my opinion the instructor is the most important element, and Sheriff Campbell is a first rate instructor.

I'm going to say something here that will probably get some disagreement from others, but aside from Louis (whom I consider in his own special category), Ken is the best instructor that teaches at Boone Co. I know some of the big names have their followers, but Ken's combination of demeanor, presentation skills, knowledge of the subject matter, ability and desire to answer questions, diagnostic skills, motivational ability, etc. etc. etc. make a really strong package.

You probably know that quite a few of our Indiana comrades ask me for advice about which classes to do, and I always put Louis and Ken at the top. Typically people ask me whether to do Gunsite 123 with Ken or another very popular carbine class and I recommend Ken's class without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by abnk View Post
    Hey all. My budget may only allow for only one pistol course this year and I'm between Gunsite's Indiana Pistol 150 and Louis Awerbuck's Tactical Handgun Stage I.

If you have attended any of them, I would appreciate your opinions on the course(s). I'm not asking which one is better; I'm just interested on what they have to offer and make a decisions based on my needs.

Gunsite's course requires 800 whereas YFA's 500. Are both courses at about the same skill level?

Thanks.

Ps. I realize "handgun" is misspelled in the title. You try typing one-handed while holding a baby who is intent on falling head first on the floor.

Feedback Score
    Gents, you've done nothing to help except for convincing me to save up and take both.

I have taken a few classes at BCSD and know Ken, but I didn't want to bother him with soliciting personal advice.

Thanks again.
    "However horrible the incident of war may be, the soldier who is called upon to offer his life for his country, is the noblest development of mankind." - General of the Army Douglas MacArthur, Manila, 24 August 1936

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    abnk - You can't go wrong with anyone Sheriff Ken brings in. Everyone in my family starts with Ken's Defensive Handgun Class. Exception: I took Louis' carbine class in 2002 and Louis let my tagging-along 14-year-old son shoot as he had an open slot and we had a spare carbine and gear. It has been Louis for handgun and Pat Rogers (can I still say that name here?) for carbine. As we move into shotgun, it will be with Louis for all the reasons rhino cited. Boone County is but 110 miles up I-65. Best thing about living in Indiana except, maybe, 18-year-old CCW.

Maybe when Ken retires he'll teach more.

Another key element is the use of non-typical targets. You will very quickly progress from flat paper to flat paper at angles, to 3-D paper where you have to really think about shot placement depending on your position relative to the target. You'll also get to use two really useful moving target systems that help Louis teach you lessons that are worth the price of the class. You really have to put it all together in terms of your marksmanship to solve the problem.
    Agreed-"worth the price of admission."
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    I've had YFA's Pistol 1 (and others) and while I have not taken the Gunsite 150, I mailed off my application for it yesterday. I have had Sheriff Ken for the 123 Carbine class and his "Intro To" class in addition to him assisting on anything else held there as Rhino mentioned.

Given your choice, it would almost be a tossup for me.

Neither Ken nor Louis send a single bullet downrange just to fill up the berm.
    Louis is the master at analyzing things (you will be amazed at how much he can see at one time) but Ken is right next to him- like the Louis that fewer people know about.
    You will come away a better shooter regardless of which you take.

The fact the 150 class is Gunsite "controlled" would make me lean to YFA's Pistol 1. (Although I have another suggestiion coming up.) In the 123 class I took, I got the impression that there were things Ken would have added, or maybe taught differently if it were completely up to him. During a break, I asked him how much Gunsite held him to the curriculum, and while I don't recall the exact answer...they hold him to it pretty tight. We got a survey at the end that seemed like it was at least partially meant to find out if the course was taught as Gunsite wanted.

Which brings me to this...
    My first class there was Ken's "Intro to Defensive Pistol", which is meant to cover anyone from new shooters (we had 'em) to experienced (we had them too). It's two days long and cost $150 then. This is my impression only, but I got the feeling that what I got was the first day or two of a Gunsite pistol class...but with Ken's personal thoughts added in. That made it pretty good, in my opinion. Being less regimented, it gave him the freedom to teach to the students' level and adjust according to us. Conrast that to a Gunsite class's "we just did this, so now we must do this".
    Nothing against Gunsite classes (I just signed up for another) because while they have "their way", they didn't start doing this yesterday, and they got "their way" from teaching a few thousand people. They do know what works.

But my suggestion is this-
    Take the "Intro to Defensive Pistol" in April, and YFA Pistol 1 in August.
    The "Intro to" class gives you "Gunsite-esque" training.
    It's relatively cheap so you can get two classes in for less money.
    You have four months between classes to absorb what you learned and practice it before taking YFA's Pistol 1.
    You will get instruction from two different, but extremely skilled, instructors.

That's what I would do if in your shoes.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry in IN View Post
    But my suggestion is this-
    Take the "Intro to Defensive Pistol" in April, and YFA Pistol 1 in August.
    The "Intro to" class gives you "Gunsite-esque" training.
    It's relatively cheap so you can get two classes in for less money.
    You have four months between classes to absorb what you learned and practice it before taking YFA's Pistol 1.
    You will get instruction from two different, but extremely skilled, instructors.

That's what I would do if in your shoes.
    More bang (and more training!) for the buck! It may even encourage Sheriff Ken to increase the number of Defensive Pistol Classes. Before he was Sheriff, they did six/year, IIRC. He's a busy man!
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your advice. I have taken the Intro class twice.

I'll probably ask Ken as well what follows the Intro class more smoothly.

Feedback Score
    You know you want to do both!!!

I'd do the GS 150 first and YFA Handgun Stage I second. Coincidentally, I think that's the order they are offered on the calendar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast