Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gunsite's Indiana Pistol 150 and YFA's Tactical Hangun Stage I

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    rhino

I'm going to say something here that will probably get some disagreement from others, but aside from Louis (whom I consider in his own special category), Ken is the best instructor that teaches at Boone Co. I know some of the big names have their followers, but Ken's combination of demeanor, presentation skills, knowledge of the subject matter, ability and desire to answer questions, diagnostic skills, motivational ability, etc. etc. etc. make a really strong package.

I totally agree... Ken is one of the hidden secrets of the Instructor world....

I would drive down there to take a class with out hesitation.

Feedback Score
    The advice that is being solicited here is solid. Having shot with both Rhino and Submariner (and family) you will not go wrong with yielding to their wisdom. I personally took the 150 and then a LA class and made leaps and bounds.

One thing you might want to consider, given your schedule will allow for it, is taking the problem solver course after the 150. When I took the problem solver this past summer it did wonders to "tighten" up my shooting. The 150 will build or build upon basic skills with the problem solvers honing your mechanics and techniques.

The other reason I suggestion this (not to throw you from your original question) but is that in the past years LA's Problem Solver Class has been limited to smaller class numbers due to the nature of the class. When I took the class this past summer their were 6 students in the course. The attention that we got was unprecedented especially given the caliber of the instruction.

LA's 3-D targets and moving targets is also worth the experience.

=====================

Digressing...you will never know what will happen with LA and Rhino at a class. I have never laughed so hard as I did this summer with those guys. Seeing Rhino with a baby carrier front and rear with the passing mention of Cunningham in one of them as a Rhino's tail gunner was worth the price of admission.

Feedback Score
    Hey Rhino-
    Since you're here and we're talking about this...
    What are you taking this year?

I'm taking the May API 150 from Ken, but am still debating what to take from Louis this year.
    I've about decided on Shotgun 1. Just what I need- Beat myself to death for three days. I don't mess around with shotguns much, but do keep one handy at times.
    And he is the shotgun man. Hate to waste that opportunity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    One thing you might want to consider, given your schedule will allow for it, is taking the problem solver course after the 150. When I took the problem solver this past summer it did wonders to "tighten" up my shooting. The 150 will build or build upon basic skills with the problem solvers honing your mechanics and techniques.
    That's really good advice too ... I forgot about the problem solver, even though I recommended it to someone a couple of weeks ago! I did it two summers ago and it helped me quite a bit too, especially with my weak hand only shooting.

It's also a really good class to take if you have any aspirations to someday be an instructor, even just informally to friends and family. Watching and listening Louis help other people is an eye-opening experience. In my class, only two of us (that's including me) were not current instructors for either a private organization, a police department, or military.

The other reason I suggestion this (not to throw you from your original question) but is that in the past years LA's Problem Solver Class has been limited to smaller class numbers due to the nature of the class. When I took the class this past summer their were 6 students in the course. The attention that we got was unprecedented especially given the caliber of the instruction.
    We only had a handful in mine as well. Other than one-on-one tutoring, I don't think you can get this kind of learning experience. It also has something the one-on-one lacks ... you get to watch and learn from the others being taught as well.

This is something that is a great benefit to having relays in any class in my opinion. Sure, I need relays because I need the rest, but I also spend the whole time I'm resting observing the other relay and how the instructors coach and correct them. Sometimes instructions I've been given were not full understood by me until I saw someone else making the same mistakes and receiving the same corrections.

Digressing...you will never know what will happen with LA and Rhino at a class. I have never laughed so hard as I did this summer with those guys. Seeing Rhino with a baby carrier front and rear with the passing mention of Cxxxxxxxxx in one of them as a Rhino's tail gunner was worth the price of admission.
    I should start charging a cover for the entertainment.

I will say that the joke mentioned above was just the latest installment of a joke that has spanned several August Boone County experiences. One year Louis was having trouble comprehending the concept of a "trunk monkey" when he saw one of the billboards on I-65. I was standing next to John C. and out of the blue Louis decided that my suspenders would be a great place to "mount" John C. as my tail gunner (aka trunk monkey). The best part was when he went through a little routine where I might be accosted and told to turn around, at which time he'd jump around and mimic John C. strapped to my back, opening fire with a Browning Hi-Power in each hand.

We'll have to add a little more this year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry in IN View Post
    Hey Rhino-
    Since you're here and we're talking about this...
    What are you taking this year?
    Hey, Barry ... good to see you!

You ask a question for which I do have an answer, believe it or not. Unknown to much of the world, I entered the world of gainful employment (don't say write the "j" word!) at the end of last August. My schedule is no longer as free and money is tighter than ever.

My preference is to do at least carbine/handgun, which is the one I've done every summer since ... I started (maybe 2002?). In any case, it will depend on which days I am available that month and of course $$$ for both tuition and ammunition. I probably won't shoot as many matches this year as I have in the past, so the latter may be less of a problem than I anticipate.

I also have some obligations with hosting a couple of classes in the fall, so that will also take some time as well as funds (no deals on tuition for me!).

Short answer: I don't know!

Feedback Score
    What
    The
    Hell?

Feedback Score
    Was that a "I don't understand what you're trying to say so ineffectively," what-the-hell, or a "Holy Schnikey! I can't believe HE finally got a job! Or that anyone would actually hire him!" kind of what-the-hell?

Feedback Score
    Mostly the last one.
    But mainly I can't picture an August at the BCSD range without Rhino being there about 27 days out of thirty.
    The times, they are a-changin'.

Feedback Score
    I know what you mean.

I'll probably lurk around the range as much as I can during August. I'm good at lurking.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry in IN View Post
    Mostly the last one.
    Actually, I meant the one after "Holy Schnickey". Sorry.
    The schnickey threw me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12