Thread: UN starvation rations?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

UN starvation rations?

I've seen references to a powdered forumla that the UN ships into areas suffering famine conditions. It supposedly provides enough of the essential nutrients to avoid starvation, is inexpensive, is easy to prepare, and easy to digest. It sounds like a good product for a catastrophic emergency foodbank.
    I've looked all over the web but never found a formula or a source for this stuff. Can anybody provide additional information?
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    From what I heard about survival ration powders is that you still need clean water to prepare, can not be used for more than a few days because it can induce diarrhea and it does not store well in high temperatures.

Its been discussed on other websites in the past and it has been said to be a loose cross between baby formula and a ensure meal shake. I know this info is not much on detail but that's what the general consensus was at the time.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I believe you are thinking of Plumpy-nut, which is a peanut based paste and requires no water to administer. This link has a basic ingredients list for Plumpy-nut.
    Last edited by Vic303; 05-08-13 at 12:02.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm