Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Guns and Only Two Guns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    I know 8541s that shot an insurgent multiple times with a .308 and he did not go down until a head shot. These guys would disagree with you. They are all from 3/1 STA.
    I have no military service but my friends that have have shown me pics and shared their experiences and I was surprized by what I heard and saw. People getting hit with .50s and keep fighting etcs. Nothing ever dies as fast as you want it to.
    pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Two guns for the rest of my life?

Ruger 10-22 and a low magnification optic. You can take a very wide variety of game with a .22, and also carry an ungodly amount of ammo pretty easily. If a house has guns it, it most likely has .22LR ammo in it as well.

Gen 3 Glock 19. Small enough to conceal, big enough to be practical in most situations. Large ammo capacity, and 9mm is a widely available round.

I always wonder about the aspect of "finding ammo" though. Is one supposed to go house to house asking for ammo, am I the lone survivor of the apocalypse, will the ammo fairy bring new rounds to my house if I put shells under my pillow?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT42 View Post
    Most snipers would disagree, as would a lot of John allen Muhammad victims, as would thousands of other people that have been killed with a single shots. I'd think a .50 cal would blow off your arm even if hit in the shoulder, then you're going to bleed out.

Assuming someone is shot in a non-vital area, it seems to me that bigger is better when it comes to rifles and one shot drops. Obviously it doesn't much matter for head shots.
    I'd like to personally disagree with you, respectfully of course

IME, 3/5, LCpl Cane, is very much still alive and kicking. Im sure he would be very happy to refute your claim.

The human body is an amazing machine capable of great things. Some people die from 1 .22lr to the chest. Some people take a 7.62x54R in the face and live to tell about it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SCAR16 w/TA11 ACOG and SF Scout.

Glock 19 w/Trijicons.
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither is Marine Corps policy.

www.MountainFabrication.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Two guns for the rest of my life?

Ruger 10-22 and a low magnification optic. You can take a very wide variety of game with a .22, and also carry an ungodly amount of ammo pretty easily. If a house has guns it, it most likely has .22LR ammo in it as well.

Gen 3 Glock 19. Small enough to conceal, big enough to be practical in most situations. Large ammo capacity, and 9mm is a widely available round.

I always wonder about the aspect of "finding ammo" though. Is one supposed to go house to house asking for ammo, am I the lone survivor of the apocalypse, will the ammo fairy bring new rounds to my house if I put shells under my pillow?
    A .22 is a good tool to have. Ammo is compact and you can carry lots. You can kill a lot of things with a .22 if you are smart in what you do. You can even use one if a self defense situation if you had to.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT42 View Post
    Most snipers would disagree, as would a lot of John allen Muhammad victims, as would thousands of other people that have been killed with a single shots. I'd think a .50 cal would blow off your arm even if hit in the shoulder, then you're going to bleed out.

Assuming someone is shot in a non-vital area, it seems to me that bigger is better when it comes to rifles and one shot drops. Obviously it doesn't much matter for head shots.
    Coming from a position of what is clearly a lack of knowledge, you do not have the right to speak for "most snipers." You need to go and find your lane.

Feedback Score
    My DD LW middy, with a H-1 and SF300 light, with a 4x scope in my ruck, and a M&P9 or 9c with 17 rd mags and X-grip. Of course any quality 5.56 platform and 9mm will do due to the world wide availability of the two cartridges.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    A .22 is a good tool to have. Ammo is compact and you can carry lots. You can kill a lot of things with a .22 if you are smart in what you do. You can even use one if a self defense situation if you had to.
    Pat
    this is a very good point. during the "bury guns in case of confiscation" frenzy, a friend told me he would let the government take his guns if they asked for them.

he said if he really needed a gun, he could always get one. and with one gun he could get more...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Having spent 20 yrs in intercity Law Enforcement, I've seen people shot with just about every caliber of gun a person can steal. Some people just require more "killing" than others.

Living in an urban area of the Mid West, a 6920 and a 9mm Glock 19 can handle all of my needs.

As I posted earlier, if this were a real situation, I would find a way to add a third gun. That third gun would be a 22lr. A 22/45 pistol if I were thinking about moving around type of survival. Or the new take down Ruger 10/22 rifle.

If I'm not allowed to cheat by adding a third gun, then I'd look at what the majority of my firearm needs are. They are centered around defense. For that, I'm content with the 5.56mm and 9mm combo.

My choices might be different if I lived in a more rural area, or in the Rockies, ect.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My last duty station in NE California was loaded with mule deer. We put deer down weekly. My M4 with 55g 62g or 77g rounds rarely got a first shot kill on the wounded deer.

On the other hand my 308 AI rocked them, as did my 1911 230g rounds.

I also had to do a couple of Pitt bulls my last two years. The 223 was a joke. I'd shoot the dam dog and the ****er would still be coming like a raging bull. One actually chased me back into my 4x4 unit.

My 45 and my 308 rocked them instantly with decent KZ hits. Im not knocking the 223, I just haven't had the same results you guys are toughting.

I was out in the middle of nowwhere and could not afford to get pulled down by a pitt as that would have been a very very bad position to be in.

DW

Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast