Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why don't we see more Sully stocks?

Feedback Score
    I came really close to buying a Sully stock for my rifle as I liked its length and didn't see the need for adjustment. Then, we got hard plates at work. Suddenly, even the "one notch out" length was too long for me. I realized that I needed an adjustable in case I had time to wear the plates. I ended up with a Magpul CTR and think it is a great solution.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The Sully stock is ugly as hell!

(someone had to say it since all the legitimate points have already been covered )

I favor a fixed stock if you can get away with it because you get the better reliability of a rifle buffer system... especially on carbonated length gas systems.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    If you need a short fixed stock, the Sully is the best one available, once a slot is cut for the sling. However, I infinitely prefer an adjustable stock, like the Magpul CTR, on my carbines to allow adjustment for various shooting positions and body armor.
    +1

I'm liking the VLTOR E-Mod more and more as well.

I have no use for a fixed stock.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The Sully stock met the need for a shorter fixed-length stock that was legal under the '94 Assault Weapons Ban (no collapsible stocks.)

No longer needed.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score

Sully

A collapsible stock allows me to fit my carbine into an already crowded patrol car (Impala - POS), and allows for variances in armor and physical build between users.

While it's an improvement over the A1/A2 stocks, one size does not fit all.

Feedback Score
    We starting hand building the Sully Stock about a decade ago. It was designed out of necessity for our SWAT Operators as we needed a shorted stock than the A1 and A2, and something more durable than collapsibles as we kept breaking them on doorways and exiting the vans and suburbans on rapid deployment. We went to molding them once demand got too busy to keep up with hand made. The molds allowed us to make a solid stock that was tough, and allowed people to attach and carve sling mounts just about anywhere they wanted it. Demand today for them keeps us extremely busy. Once we free up some of the CNC machines from other projects that we are about to release, we will have several other stocks designs available.
    CY6
    Greg Sullivan "Sully"
    SLR15 Rifles

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have one on my AR rifle and it is excellent. My rifle started out with the standard M4 stock, I went to an A1, and then finally got a Sully.My personal philosophy is basically to make my rifle as simple and sturdy as possible. The Sully stock puts and end to "adjustment-its"--you just shoulder it and shoot. The short overall length means it will be short enough for all but the shortest/bulkiest wearing armor. As indicated above, this stock will be much sturdier than most, if not all adjustable stocks.

It is a good solution for those of us who don't really need adjustable lengths. If you are one of those few who really needs to be able to adjust your stock length on the fly, then there are better solutions out there.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12