Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Any EMT's in here?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic556 View Post
    First, RNs cannot do anything without asking a doctor or being ordered to do so. Here in our region, on the Flights, for anything pre-hospital the Paramedic is in charge. Why? RNs are not allowed to operate here as pre-hospital, unless licensed as a paramedic. They can still fly and do inter-facility transports, but medics are in charge in the field.
    Certainly not the case here. RNs fly the helicopters too. The hierarchy is usually that the EMT-P is in charge of the patient at the scene, the nurse becomes in charge of the patient once loaded. From a practical standpoint though, it's not that cut-and-dried...it's a very collegial relationship.

The doctors here have a deep and great respect for Paramedics. Especially the medics who display the skill, confidence and knowledge that the doctors expect. After these docs become familiar with a particular medic, they gain a trust in them. One doctor told me years ago here, "I always trust the opinion of the paramedics bringing me a patient. They see things we in the hospital do not see, at the home, on the street. They have experience there. They seem to have that gut feeling of what is happening." He said more, but it was long ago and I forget some of that conversation. To this day, He will approach me when bringing in a critical patient and say, "Whatta we got?" or "What do you think it is?" or "What are your thoughts?" These docs display a genuine respect and interest in what the Paramedics working here think.
    I'm the guy that signs those Paramedics off with the National Registry. If I didn't feel the way you describe, that Paramedic wouldn't have a job here. We all have very high expectations here for competence and professionalism in our Paramedics. Their performance has always shown those expectations to be justified.

You slam paramedics again tough guy, and I will unleash a rash of true stories on you of RNs "screwing the pooch" in the field, and royally F'n up. Thanks.
    A very unnecessary response. This doesn't need to be a pissing contest. I'm confident that I have more such stories about RNs and Paramedics than both of you put together, but it makes no difference. The guy was obviously posting out of ego and ignorance. It doesn't merit anything more than a shake of the head.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I totally forgot about this thread for a few days guys, sorry about that. Other than the random bouts of bickering, this is a treasure trove of real world info and advice. I have decided to pursue the EMT B route, and after a little experience, if I decide to do EMT P, then I will.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got my EMT-B years ago and it whetted my appetite to get into the medical field. I ended up with a BSN and worked primarily inpatient oncology and hospice. I'm not interested in the Paramedic-Nurse bickering. Both do different jobs, most do them well, there are areas of overlap, and, in my experience, they generally function very well as a collaborative medical team insuring the safety and welfare of the patients entrusted to their care.

One thing I learned about the medical field is the importance of knowing your temperament. Some folks thrive on the rush, love the unexpected, can't wait to get the call and try to create order out of chaos. Other folks prefer to work at an orderly pace, prepare and anticipate any contingencies, and identify and resolve little problems before they become big problems. Finding yourself in the wrong working environment is a recipe for disaster and certain to make your career either short-lived or miserable.

As for mistakes and screw ups. They happen to everybody. Hopefully they get caught in time with no harm to the patient. But I'll guarantee you that you will KNOW the procedure you screwed up once better than the procedure you've done a thousand times without giving it a second thought. That sick, sinking feeling that hits like a Mack truck when you realize you've made an error is the best motivational learning tool ever invented.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    A very unnecessary response. This doesn't need to be a pissing contest. I'm confident that I have more such stories about RNs and Paramedics than both of you put together, but it makes no difference. The guy was obviously posting out of ego and ignorance. It doesn't merit anything more than a shake of the head.
    Yeah, I agree with you. I had a moment. He struck a cord in me by attacking what I have dedicated over a third of my life to. Shake of the head it is then.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I totally forgot about this thread for a few days guys, sorry about that. Other than the random bouts of bickering, this is a treasure trove of real world info and advice. I have decided to pursue the EMT B route, and after a little experience, if I decide to do EMT P, then I will.
    Good luck to you... Hopefully you will find it a good profession and enjoy it. I think you are on the right path. :thumbup:

Sent from this... Using that...

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Certainly not the case here. RNs fly the helicopters too. The hierarchy is usually that the EMT-P is in charge of the patient at the scene, the nurse becomes in charge of the patient once loaded. From a practical standpoint though, it's not that cut-and-dried...it's a very collegial relationship.
    I have been a flight medic and am now a RN, and my experience has been the same...very collegial and mucho back-and-forth. Generally if it was a scene run I was 'in charge', and the nurse seemed OK. Interfacility/critical care stuff, the nurse was generally in charge (even though I had my CCEMTP). I know I was OK with that....those patients were the nurses' bread and butter.

When I was a medic I heard all of the crap about nurses. Now, I hear all the crap about medics. Life is a big ol' bell curve, folks, and there are truly sucky ones of each profession, and truly gifted ones. Most, in the middle.
    Last edited by chuckman; 06-02-12 at 11:08.

Feedback Score

Something, perhaps, to keep in mind

LowSpeed_HighDrag,
    Congratulations on your decision, sounds like a well-reasoned and solid choice. Good luck and thank you again for your service.

montanadave,
    Your post speaks volumes and I wholeheartedly concur. Many years ago a preceptor told me that "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment." Not sure where she first heard it, but I've always tried to keep this thought in the back of my mind.

I strive to be open to help and counsel from anyone on the health care team, regardless of their title. In the end, it is not about us, it is about our patients. This approach seems to have worked reasonably well for me so far.

Kiwi57

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Licensed Fire/Medic, AD Marine

Im getting out of the military within the next 4 months. Im very interested in emergency medicine, and Ive always been fond of helping those in need. I have never been a math guy, life science was ok but chemistry was a mess for me. Im more of a history/english person, but I think I can apply myself and do alright in biology/anatomy oriented classes.

A little about myself:
    -4 Years, Active Duty Marine Corps, Numerous Personal Awards, *soon to be* Disabled Combat Veteran.
    -Neat and professional, fit, enjoy high stress environments, like to work with people, not squeamish in the least
    -Married, no kids. Need to make about 35,000 a year to sustain my lifestyle with the amount my wife is making currently. Will need to work at least 25 hours a week while taking EMT courses.

I was wondering if anyone here is an EMT, and if so, maybe you could answer a couple of questions for me?

1)Since the GI Bill is covering my tuition, should I:
    -Start with my EMT-B cert and try to get hired from there?
    -Take the Front Range Pre-Paramedic cert, which is 2 semesters of EMTB, EMT refresher, anatomy, emt intravaneous, basic EKG, medical terminology, and clinicals?
    -Or find a college that does Paramedic as an Associate degree in 2 years of class time (Im having a hard time finding one on google that is within 1 hour of my home)?

2) Since I am not a math oriented person (we're talking counting on fingers and toes here), am I asking for trouble by going into this field?

3) "The Internet" says that the EMT field will grow by 30% from 2010-2012. Are you guys seeing alot of new positions open up, and if so how often are you seeing fresh hires with no applicable work experience coming in?

4) Knowing what you know now, would you still be an EMT or would you have taken a different path?

5) Generally, what is the average pay for a new guy in this field?

6) I have a few visible tattoos, they are tasteful but large and not gang related (forearm, bicep, and above elbow area). Do you foresee this keeping me from getting hired? Is it normal for EMT's to wear long sleeves on the job?

7) I have some significant hearing loss with a service-connected disability. I can hear pretty well, but not according to those damn sound booths. I do have hearing aids, but hate the goddamn things. Will this possibly keep me from getting employed?

Last but not least...

8) Are you satisfied with your job?

PM me for my number, we'll talk on the phone personally. I'm an experienced Marine and former Fire Medic, still licensed, worked in Detroit and Central South Mid Michigan.
    I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Feedback Score
    I am a former FMF Corpsman and EMT Paramedic, I would recommend starting with EMT B, getting into the field on the trucks and really seeing what EMS is about.

Then after getting your feet wet go for the Paramedic cert, make sure to test out at Intermediate (a mistake I saw a lot of student make is not doing so) in case for whatever reason you cannot finish the EMT P course.

I loved emergency medicine and still do, I just got away from it to try my hand in criminal justice.

It is something that I am very proud to have spent 20 years in and witnessed the advancement of skills and training that medics get today.

Feedback Score
    PM sent about EMS in the Front Range....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345