Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic556 View Post
First, RNs cannot do anything without asking a doctor or being ordered to do so. Here in our region, on the Flights, for anything pre-hospital the Paramedic is in charge. Why? RNs are not allowed to operate here as pre-hospital, unless licensed as a paramedic. They can still fly and do inter-facility transports, but medics are in charge in the field.
Certainly not the case here. RNs fly the helicopters too. The hierarchy is usually that the EMT-P is in charge of the patient at the scene, the nurse becomes in charge of the patient once loaded. From a practical standpoint though, it's not that cut-and-dried...it's a very collegial relationship.

The doctors here have a deep and great respect for Paramedics. Especially the medics who display the skill, confidence and knowledge that the doctors expect. After these docs become familiar with a particular medic, they gain a trust in them. One doctor told me years ago here, "I always trust the opinion of the paramedics bringing me a patient. They see things we in the hospital do not see, at the home, on the street. They have experience there. They seem to have that gut feeling of what is happening." He said more, but it was long ago and I forget some of that conversation. To this day, He will approach me when bringing in a critical patient and say, "Whatta we got?" or "What do you think it is?" or "What are your thoughts?" These docs display a genuine respect and interest in what the Paramedics working here think.
I'm the guy that signs those Paramedics off with the National Registry. If I didn't feel the way you describe, that Paramedic wouldn't have a job here. We all have very high expectations here for competence and professionalism in our Paramedics. Their performance has always shown those expectations to be justified.

You slam paramedics again tough guy, and I will unleash a rash of true stories on you of RNs "screwing the pooch" in the field, and royally F'n up. Thanks.
A very unnecessary response. This doesn't need to be a pissing contest. I'm confident that I have more such stories about RNs and Paramedics than both of you put together, but it makes no difference. The guy was obviously posting out of ego and ignorance. It doesn't merit anything more than a shake of the head.