Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P90X

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

P90X

If followed correctly, does this program work? With my type of job (train conductor) I can't always make it to the gym as I'd like.

Feedback Score
    Without knowing your fitness level and your goals....through my research I can tell you that this program as well as many others definately has benefits. I am trying to follow it myself (but not following their nutritional plan). My fitness level is really bad and past injuries sure don't help. This program is tough if followed. With that being said....I enjoy it. It's almost as if each session is some sort of challenge. If you search P90X you will find some testimonials of members. Good Luck

Feedback Score
    Also...you can legitamately use bands with this program...very easy to travel with.

Feedback Score
    I didn't think it would work before trying it. However, a guy on my department started it and within a couple of weeks I noticed a change in him (he was much bigger). I started it and did two cycles of it. I wouldn't say I "swear" by it, but it does work. The key to getting results is STICK WITH IT!! I didn't follow their diet plan but I eat "healthy" as it is. The only difference in my diet was I noticed I was cooking A LOT more chicken. I was hungry often. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Work is a very subjective term. Will it improve your conditioning? Probably. Will increase your strength? Maybe. Will you lose fat? What does you diet look like.

Feedback Score
    It worked for me. You will lose a ton of fat if you follow the program (diet is probably the key). I started at 185 and was down to 168 after 2 months. I play hockey, too and noticed an increase in my stamina and energy on the ice. The diet probably helped, here.

I don't think there are any secrets to it, though. They work you hard for 1 hr/day 6 days a week and control your diet to healthy food. No beer or pizza is on the list.

Faults I found with it are the legs and chest portion seemed weak compared to what you do for arms and back. I also had to take the routine to the gym as I needed heavier weights for the back and arms exercises than what I had at the house. I didn't want to invest tons of money in a bunch of dumb bells when I had a gym membership and they had all the weights you could shake a stick at.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSledgehammer View Post
    If followed correctly, does this program work? With my type of job (train conductor) I can't always make it to the gym as I'd like.
    I'll also give a positive review for P90x. I went from 232lbs down to 187lbs... I've settled around 194lbs.

I didn't follow the diet, but I did focus on a high protein / low carb diet.

P90x is tough, just do your best and I'm sure you'll see some results.

Just a heads up that P90x2 is out, but I would start with the original.

-batsoff

Feedback Score
    Yes it works.

ANY exercise and diet program will work.

It all comes down to what you enjoy.

If your goal is to lose weight, you don't need to be a math major: Calories In - Calories out = Net Caloric Intake/Outtake

3,500 calories is a pound. Figure out your daily net number and you can figure out how long it will take to get to your ideal weight.

BTW: I'm a big fan of P90X because the cheese factor of Tony Horton keeps me interested.

Feedback Score

Works for Anyone

I've seen countless people post about how p90x helped them lose weight, but I'm on the other side. Before starting p90x, I weighed a measly 135lbs (I'm 5'10") and after completing one round of p90x, I was up to 150lbs. One thing that bothers me is that I see so many people say they don't bother to follow the nutrition plan. You don't necessarily have to follow the p90x nutrition plan, but the way you eat is THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR, whether your goal is to gain or lose weight. I would say it's 60% diet and 40% exercise.

Although there are many programs out there that will definitely help, p90x is great in that it's the closest thing to a personal trainer (with quite a bit of motivation during workouts) that won't break your bank. Tony will push you through tough workouts and you will see results very quickly. You'll be VERY sore the first couple weeks, but don't give up! You will be glad you finished at the end of the program!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRightWing View Post
    I've seen countless people post about how p90x helped them lose weight, but I'm on the other side. Before starting p90x, I weighed a measly 135lbs (I'm 5'10") and after completing one round of p90x, I was up to 150lbs.
    You bring a good point in that most people are equate losing weight with losing fat. And that is not true.

You were pretty slight at 5'10" and 135lb. I bet you put on a lot of muscle which weighs more than fat.

Many people that look to programs like P90X want to lose body fat and talk as though losing weight is the same thing.

Instead think in of terms losing fat but being aware that your weight may not drop too much if yo are putting on muscle weight.

I would fall in the same category as batsoff in that I carry too much body and would lose fat if I started a high energy program. For a skinny person on the same program and comparable diet, this would not be the case.
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast