Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Combat Commander

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)

Colt Combat Commander

I’ve always wanted a 1911 .45 acp. Beautiful handguns and the .45 is a deadly round.
    I’ve done some research on these but probably not enough. I have friends that have 1911s, Colts, RRA, Kimbers, and have shot them all including a compact Kimber.

Don’t like the compact 1911s at all. The full sizes are great and handle / shoot really nice, but just seem to be a little large to CC on the hip.

I picked this up the other day after handling it. It was one of those…damn this is nice and has potential….got to have it moments. I think I got a good deal on it too from everything else I’ve seen.
    Purported to be a 1970s model Combat Commander. Serial No. starts with 70BSXXXX. Anyone know if this may be correct or how I can find out?

From a cosmetic standpoint the pistol is in great shape if it is really 35+ years old.

I knew even before the purchase that it presented two issues for me.
    The trigger is terrible compared to the other 1911s I’ve shot.
    The sights suck due to my older eyes. Or maybe my eyes suck and I can’t see shit is more like it.

I don’t know that I want to modify this pistol to the point that I could not return it to its’ original condition. Any thoughts on this? Concerning myself over nothing?

Any recommendations for trigger/sights based on the above consideration if it should be a consideration?

I’ve only had a chance to put two mags / 14 rds through it yesterday. I know I need to shoot it more and will when time allows. And, when I get some more mags. Had a malfunction on both strings I shot and each malfunction was exactly the same…..failure to feed the last round in the mag. It is the only mag that I currently have and appears to be the original Colt magazine. Weak mag spring is what I’m thinking due to the age. Good assumption?

I’ll be getting 2 or 3 more mags or course and I know everyone has their favorites. 8 rd Wilsons, McCormicks, new Colts? What do you think? Six of one, half dozen of the other?

Haven’t done any research or a search on here for belt holsters yet but, if anyone has a recommendation I’d like to hear it.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Novaks

Nice looking Colt,
    I have two older series 70 Colts that I sent to Novaks to give them a few upgrades, not a full tune up, but a few modern additions to make them a little better shooters. I kept the original hammer, and added a slim but ambi safety, and beavertail with the adjustable Novak sights.
    A few new mags from whomever you like, Novak, Wilson, etc.
    I like FISTinc. holsters they have many to choose from.

http://www.novaksights.com/photogallery/photo1911.html

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    The full sizes are great and handle / shoot really nice, but just seem to be a little large to CC on the hip.
    The combat commander has a steel, full size frame. The difference is about .75" of slide and barrel. In my experience, in a holster with 10 deg cant, they carry the same. In a straight drop, it might be noticed when sitting down.

I picked this up the other day after handling it. It was one of those…damn this is nice and has potential….got to have it moments. I think I got a good deal on it too from everything else I’ve seen.
    Purported to be a 1970s model Combat Commander. Serial No. starts with 70BSXXXX. Anyone know if this may be correct or how I can find out?
    I'd call Colt or perhaps message Brent on the m1911.org forums (he is active there and works at Colt CS).

I don’t know that I want to modify this pistol to the point that I could not return it to its’ original condition. Any thoughts on this? Concerning myself over nothing?
    If you want to keep resale value, leave it be. Otherwise if it's a keeper, I'd do what makes you happy.

Weak mag spring is what I’m thinking due to the age. Good assumption?

I’ll be getting 2 or 3 more mags or course and I know everyone has their favorites. 8 rd Wilsons, McCormicks, new Colts? What do you think? Six of one, half dozen of the other?
    Wilson 47D (or ETM), Tripp Research, or McCormick power mags should solve that issue.

Haven’t done any research or a search on here for belt holsters yet but, if anyone has a recommendation I’d like to hear it.
    I don't carry a 1911 often, but when I do, it's in a Milt Sparks VMII.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    look here for Combat Commander. It could be a few different years in the 1970's

http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    If you plan to shoot that stock Commander for any length of time, you will notice the webbing between your thumb and index finger will be hurting. That short grip safety tang with the ultra sharp Colt factory edge will cut you. Since you don't want to permanently alter this gun, you should consider installing a drop in Wilson beavertail grip safety made for the commander. It should fit and not leave an unsightly gap, it will make your hand feel much better.

Get Wilson magazines.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    If you plan to shoot that stock Commander for any length of time, you will notice the webbing between your thumb and index finger will be hurting. That short grip safety tang with the ultra sharp Colt factory edge will cut you. Since you don't want to permanently alter this gun, you should consider installing a drop in Wilson beavertail grip safety made for the commander. It should fit and not leave an unsightly gap, it will make your hand feel much better.

Get Wilson magazines.

Agreed, it was painful to shoot mine with the stock grip safety. I replaced it with the Wilson drop in beavertail and it's all better. I did have to do some fitting on the engagement tab but nothing major.
    Keep up the good fight

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Thanks for the input.

I've shot this another 100 rds since my first post.

The sights on this pistol will have to go. It is my eyes I know but, it is what it is.

I can't get over the trigger. I know it can be corrected but, I'm not sure just how much, if any, modifications I'd want to make to this pistol.

The FTF the last round continued to be an issue although not every time. Got some Wilson 47Ds on the way. They seem to be the most highly recommended everywhere I've looked.

Sam you are correct. The grip safety does have alittle bite to it. This mod would be further on down the wish list but one I'd want to make.

Cash investment for all of this has become a major consideration for me.

Now, after saying ALL OF THAT.

I have since gotten my hands on a Colt Goverment Model XSE which is a full size 1911. Got it for close to the same money I paid for the Commander.

Much cleaner / lighter trigger, Novak sights (really big improvement), ambidextrous saftey, nice beavertail grip safety, double diamond grips and no FTFs.

Handles and shoots really well.
    I've since determined that the larger size is not going to be as big of a consideration as I thought.
    I'll carry this only when I can wear my shirt out or have a jacket, etc.. on. Not really a big deal.

I now have a firearm that really needs no modifications for my needs and requires no further outlay of cash.

So.....as the way some firearm acquisitions / dispositions can sometimes go....the commander is now for sale.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Great story epilogue.

Welcome to the enigma & conundrum of 1911's.

I have several in my litter. They ALL seem to be my favorite.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPLOETHOS View Post
    Great story epilogue.

Welcome to the enigma & conundrum of 1911's.

I have several in my litter. They ALL seem to be my favorite.

Yes they are a mystery and the choices a person has in purchasing a 1911 nowadays is overwhelming. Even when basing a puchase on very specific needs. Seems everyone is making a 1911 these days in every configuration imaginable.

The XSE and I now need to become familiar friends.
    Scoby

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Get Wilson magazines.
    It depends on your grip. I've never had that problem but, then again, I don't use the ultra-high handhold that everyone thinks is needed with a 1911. The Wilson "drop-in" will work with little gap with most (but not all) pistols and it will, most likely, still need some fitting.
    I second the Wilson mags but you can also convert the Colt mags with Wilson kits.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast