Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colt Combat Commander

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Okay. But, common usage and the Blue Book both seem to break them down into
    "pre-70 Series" manf 1950-69,
    Series 70 manf 1970-83 0r, for steel 1971-80

and Series 80.

Not trying to be argumentative just using standard nomenclature, even though I don't recall any significant difference between the pre-70- and 70 series. I IRC the serial numbers and slide markings vary. And, values seem to vary.
    Pre 70 seems to be better finished.
    Last edited by g5m; 05-29-12 at 16:12.
    former cat herder

Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by g5m View Post
    Okay. But, common usage and the Blue Book both seem to break them down into
    "pre-70 Series" manf 1950-69,
    Series 70 manf 1970-83 0r, for steel 1971-80
    and Series 80.
    Not trying to be argumentative just using standard nomenclature, even though I don't recall any significant difference between the pre-70- and 70 series. I IRC the serial numbers and slide markings vary. And, values seem to vary.
    But, my pre 70 seems to be better finished.
    With Colt Commanders it's "pre-Series 80" or Series 80" as Commanders never were a "Series 70". A TRUE "Series 70" (original) had a collet (finger) bushing and an "Accurized" barrel (and were full-size 5" models) neither of which the Commander has ever had and is NOT about any type of safety system as the "Series 80" is. Today, the "Series 80" safety system is found on all lengths of Colt 1911s, including Commanders. Even the new Colt "Series 70" 1911s are not true to the original "Series 70". The Blue Book is, simply, wrong and it is not "standard nomenclature" or "common usage" except among the uninformed. Also, Colt does not help by muddying up the waters with their present day use of "Series 70" and "Series 80" in relation to some models. Some may say it doesn't matter but it does if you are paying a premium price for an older Colt 1911 Government Model or Commander. If one doesn't care then feel free to call it whatever you want including "Series 90" as Colt has on some 1911 type pistols.
    Confused? Well, there is no need to be. All you need to do is some research on Colt 1911 type pistols and your eyes will be opened.
    Last edited by wetidlerjr; 05-28-12 at 19:00.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    With Colt Commanders it's "pre-Series 80" or Series 80" as Commanders never were a "Series 70". A TRUE "Series 70" (original) had a collet (finger) bushing and an "Accurized" barrel (and were full-size 5" models) neither of which the Commander has ever had and is NOT about any type of safety system as the "Series 80" is. Today, the "Series 80" safety system is found on all lengths of Colt 1911s, including Commanders. Even the new Colt "Series 70" 1911s are not true to the original "Series 70". The Blue Book is, simply, wrong and it is not "standard nomenclature" or "common usage" except among the uninformed. Also, Colt does not help by muddying up the waters with their present day use of "Series 70" and "Series 80" in relation to some models. Some may say it doesn't matter but it does if you are paying a premium price for an older Colt 1911 Government Model or Commander. If one doesn't care then feel free to call it whatever you want including "Series 90" as Colt has on some 1911 type pistols.
    Confused? Well, there is no need to be. All you need to do is some research on Colt 1911 type pistols and your eyes will be opened.
    I'm interested in this stuff...where did you get your information? Is there a particular reference book you would recommend?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    Okay. I understand your point. And there is no difference in the earlier and later Commanders, until the slide changes. As stated.
    Last edited by g5m; 05-28-12 at 21:43.
    former cat herder

Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I'm interested in this stuff...where did you get your information? Is there a particular reference book you would recommend?
    Not really although others could probably help you more in recommending a particular book. I picked a lot of good info on 1911forum.com which I consider the best of all forums that deal with the 1911. If you aren't a member, I suggest you join, do some searches and start picking the brains of the "Masters" there. I would ask for the book recommendations there. I often see Collector’s Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols Models of M1911 and M1911A1 by Charles W. Clawson recommended but it is pricey at $125.00. I don't have a copy but it is considered the best by many.
    Here is a site for 1911 books. 1911 Books
    Some so-called 1911 sites are helpful but some perpetuate the common errors like with Series 70 and 80. It takes awhile to know enough to "separate the wheat from the chaff". I'm still learning.
    Last edited by wetidlerjr; 05-28-12 at 22:49. Reason: Additional info.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by g5m View Post
    Okay. I understand your point. And there is no difference in the earlier and later Commanders, until the slide changes. As stated.
    There are other differences but it would take more than a few posts to get into that. It's an on-going learning process for me and I don't even pretend to be an authority.

Bill Tidler Jr.

~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Clawson's big book deals with 1911's and 1911A1's. As in military versions. Can't speak to the 'Collector's Guide' condensed version referenced.
    If you have a chance to look through the big book you'll see some gorgeous photos of pristine 45's.
    Last edited by g5m; 05-29-12 at 08:45.
    former cat herder

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    wetidlerjr

Good information. Thanks for posting it.

I just joined 1911.com a couple of weeks ago and have been doing alot of reading. Sooooooooooo much information there to absorb.

As an update. The Combat Commander has been sold.
    Here is its' replacement.
    About 200 rds down the tube so far without a problem.
    Decent trigger and sights. Accuracy at 10 yds with range ammo is good for what I'm capable of.

Colt XSE Goverment Model
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    wetidlerjr
    Good information. Thanks for posting it.
    I just joined 1911.com a couple of weeks ago and have been doing alot of reading. Sooooooooooo much information there to absorb.
    As an update. The Combat Commander has been sold.
    Here is its' replacement.
    About 200 rds down the tube so far without a problem.
    Decent trigger and sights. Accuracy at 10 yds with range ammo is good for what I'm capable of.
    Colt XSE Goverment Model
    Great looking pistol and great photo skills, also.

Bill Tidler Jr.

~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    I have that same version of the Combat Commander, except mine is in satin nickle.

Glad yours shoots fine as is.....I had to swap the ejector and extractor and do some other tweaking to make it cycle 100%. I think I even added a Wilson Bulletproof Slide Stop because I kept getting premature slide lock! LOL

Shoots great now...but a pain to get it that way.

They're quality guns but some of the earlier ones like mine had teething problems. Mine was made in 1970.

Nowdays, you can buy a cheapo 399 1911 and the damn thing will function 100% right out of the box. Sure, its out of spec and made of cast and MIM parts but the things usually run.

Colts are still worth it, because their resale is high and once you get a Colt 1911 to run right....man...they're totally worth owning.

An unaltered early Combat Commander is a collector piece of sorts. Think twice before going crazy on mods. Might be worth more if it was left alone.

- brickboy240

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123