Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Question

Feedback Score

Reloading Question

I am thinking about reloading my own ammo and i have a couple of quick questions that maybe you guys can help me out with. In your honest opinion what is a good reasonably priced reloader and what led/powder should i use. I will be reloading .223 rem, and 5.56 nato. thanks in advance guys.

Feedback Score
    How much do you shoot? Press features (and price) is a function of production rate. Progressives allow increased production, but at a higher cost. Single stage will be the cheapest, but slowest. Plus you'll need to get a powder measure ($35-100), scale ($25-50), calipers ($35) and a few other odds and ends tools depending upon how you eventually set up.

If you go with a Dillon progressive, expect to pay $500-600 for all of the above. A Lee Single Stage kit will run $100. Then you have turret presses which fall in the middle ($150-200).

How much time are you willing to invest? How much do you shoot and how often? And how important is keeping your investment cost down? We need to know those answers before we can give appropriate recommendations.

Powder: Start of with a ball powder. Much less aggravation.

55/62 grain: H335, Ramshot TAC, AA2230
    Heavier: Ramshot TAC

Feedback Score
    Reloading probably isn't worth it for you, since you plan on only reloading one caliber and since that caliber is .223/5.56, especially if this is just for plinking ammo.

If the intent is to load some hunting or competition ammunition, where you will only need maybe 50-100, then I could see picking up a lee press or go with the RCBS Rockchucker kit. Good beginner set and loads quality, low volume ammunition.

If you plan on doing high volume reloading, I would go with a Dillon 550 or 650 with case feeder. Now these get expensive pretty quickly, so keep that in mind. Progressives make more sense when you intend to shoot a lot and load several calibers.

I started reloading when I wanted more accurate hunting ammunition and didn't want to pay $30 for a box of 20rds. I got the RCBS Rockchucker Kit and that worked fine for that purpose. Then I got into IPSC shooting and needed to reload more ammo and faster. I upgraded to a Dillon 550 at that time. After several years, I sold the 550 and got the 650 because it was auto indexing and automatically fed cases. All I had to do was but a bullet on top of the case and pull the handle. I could reload about 600rds an hour.

In the end, you don't really save any money, you just shoot twice as much. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpe187 View Post
    In the end, you don't really save any money, you just shoot twice as much. Hope this helps.
    You indeed shoot more at a cheaper per round cost. It's not the magic lamp that it appears to be. You have to buy a lot more than the basic press. And you don't start to discover all the stuff you really need until you're knee deep into it....

A bench, tumbler, storage containers for all the various in process components, a dedicated area for all of this mess, etc.

It costs a lot. But if you enjoy it, and are in it for the long haul, it can be worth it. If not, buy wolf!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    At todays ammo prices I can buy the equipment needed to load 1K rounds plus all of the components for what it would cost to buy 1K rounds of factory loaded ammunition.

For anyone looking to get into reloading, you don't have to spend a grand up front. Reloading is modular, start small and work up. The Lee Classic turret press is a great way to get your feet wet. For about $150 - $200 you can get all the tools needed to load .223 and then when you are ready you can buy a Dillon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpe187 View Post
    Don't ever admit that to your wife. Every time something shows up from Midway I tell my wife it is a tool to help us save money.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim2L View Post
    At todays ammo prices I can buy the equipment needed to load 1K rounds plus all of the components for what it would cost to buy 1K rounds of factory loaded ammunition.
    Primers, Powder, bullets, case tumbler and media, crimp removal device, dies, case lube, case guage, chronograph, powder scale, and press???
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    don't forget a reloading manual, trimmer, and calipers

when i started reloading 223/5.56 four years ago, I bought 10,000 pieces of once-fired brass for $300, and similarly cheap bullets/powder/primer and now most of that brass has been fired 4x. My avg cost/rnd was about 7 cents for the first 15,000, and it's been about 10 cents/rnd since then. (i.e. 1000 rnds costs me $100) So, I've definitely saved money.

Part of the problem I've run into recently (aside from component prices doubling) is that i started taking carbine classes and they don't really give you time to stop and pick up your brass there. So my stash has dwindled to about 5k.

My point is that if you're calculating the savings of reloading and you plan to attend carbine classes, don't count on using that brass 5x. Honestly, purchasing cases for every loading makes reloading much less attractive financially.

You should also include the time you spend picking up brass. For instance, if you buy a case of factory for $350, and collect the spent cases (like you'd do if you were reloading) and resell them for $75, then you're really only playing $275/case.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    Honestly, purchasing cases for every loading makes reloading much less attractive financially.
    For sure! I've never bought brass at all. If I need more brass, I buy factory ammo to get it. It's kinda strange! I need to burn thru this UMC so I can make some good ammo out of it!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I need to burn thru this UMC so I can make some good ammo out of it!
    Ain't that the truth!

Before I figured out this fact of life, I bought Remington brass for as little as $.03/round. Most I ever paid was $.06; at $.08, I switched to buying UMC on sale at Dick's, printing off coupons as necessary - $.25/round or $.17 plus one once-fired case.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast