Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is causing this? (M&P40)

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    It looks like they just polished the ramp and called it good enough. I would contact S&W.

Does it do this with brass/steel/aluminum casings? Hollow point and jacketed rounds? Does it occur during rapid strings or slow fire?

If it did this out of the box then S&W needs to know about this and really fix it.
    Last edited by amd5007; 05-09-12 at 22:39.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    That rifle has won trophies for its game face alone!

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I would make sure the mags springs are good and have the latest #9 stamped follower. I would make sure there is no burr or sharp edge on the extractor, so the cartridge slides under it without binding. The extractor spring is most likely okay as long as it is not out of spec and to strong. Make sure there is no burr anywhere on the breech face or feed ramp. Polish the feed ramp . Replace the recoil spring assembly if it is old and weak.You might also try using mags from an M&P that is known to be reliable. If it were my pistol I would keep sending it back until they (S&W) get it right.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by amd5007 View Post
    It looks like they just polished the ramp and called it good enough. I would contact S&W.

Does it do this with brass/steel/aluminum casings? Hollow point and jacketed rounds? Does it occur during rapid strings or slow fire?

If it did this out of the box then S&W needs to know about this and really fix it.
    Does it with brass and aluminum fmj. Was goin to try jhp next time. Happens fast and slow fire.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomByU View Post
    Does it with brass and aluminum fmj. Was goin to try jhp next time. Happens fast and slow fire.
    Yeah S&W needs to take it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    That rifle has won trophies for its game face alone!

Feedback Score
    Interesting. Have you tried cleaning and lubing it? I say that because when I first got my M&P40 years ago, I bought it at a gun range and shot it as soon as I bought it and had similar issues. As soon as I added lube, the problem went away.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 05-10-12 at 07:30.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    Interesting. Have you tried cleaning and lubing it? I say that because when I first got my M&P40 years ago, I bought it at a gun range and shot it as soon as I bought it and had similar issues. As soon as I added lube, the problem went away.
    It was dirty this time but was lubed up.

Feedback Score
    Send it back again, and be clear that this is the second time with the same issue. I would include the pictures and a detailed description like the one you gave above.

I have had good response from S&W in the past.

Feedback Score
    Do you have your magazines marked somehow? Does it happen with one magazine or all of them?
    I'd probably still send it back to S&W with the photos and a detailed description of the problem, wouldn't hurt to tell them that it was supposed to be a LEO firearm either.

Sent from this... Using that...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It looks like an extractor issue. I would pull the extractor out, check the channel, spring, etcl. Put a slight radius on the leading edge of the extractor, replce the spring and give it a go.

I have Apex FRE's in all of my M&P's and had to give the extractor a good radius / polish to get them working really well (As Apex suggests)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Borrowed a barrel from a reliable m&p and going to take it out Wednesday or Thursday and test it out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast