Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Coyotes losing their fear of people?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPup View Post
    Got this one @ 75 yards with LDI DBAL-I2 IR Laser and Barnes 70 grain, shot him right between the eyes and the Barnes put an nice half-dollar sized exit hole next to his anus....

Thats just about the neatest color phase I've ever seen, where was this canine bagged?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I've had two encounters at the ranch now where one or more coyotes got within 30 yards of me without being afraid. The second one was within 30 FEET (but on the other side of a fence). I didn't have a safe backstop in either case, so I couldn't take a shot even though I had my M4 with me. The second one I yelled at, and it just looked at me like, "I know you ain't talking to me."

I'm beginning to think the coyotes around here are tainted as well.

Anybody else notice coyotes losing their fear of people?
    I don't get the issue with the backstop.

One of the beautiful things about using a 5.56 is some of the varmint bullets you can use, one of the 50-55gr varmint bullets would fail to ricochet even if you tried to do it on purpose, say skipping it off of concrete (of course, not missing always helps too).

Having had to put several deer down while at work, and right in the middle of town, I keep a mag of 55gr SP on hand that would most definately not be approved by Doc Roberts for use as a patrol rifle round (although it's what we used before we knew better).

Not sure what your backdrop was, but I'd bet money with coyote appropriate ammo you'd have been fine.

And yes, they can get trained to not fear people. Years ago I had one pop up in my mom's back yard at dusk, she lived in a house on a property that was a greenhouse complex and backed up to heavy woods near an agricultural area, but towards the growing edge of town.
    Ballsy bastard just stood there looking at me like he was wondering what I was doing in his yard.
    I think people quit shooting at the coyotes in that area (in most of KS any farmer will blast the hell out of any coyote pretty much on sight).

That coyote made the mistake of not knowing that I was carrying a 9mm with night sights, and being within 30 yards of me.

Federal 9BPLE might not be a good load for police work, but it's a great general purpose varmint load for anything you might shoot at with a 9mm.

Feedback Score
    I have shot three black dogs in my backyard about 250 yards out the back door here in North Florida!!

Right after sundown yesterday I had the FoxPro Prairie Blaster on Bay Bee Cottontail for about 5 minutes when I picked up a heat signature on the FLIR PS 32 at about 300 yards out.

Switched over to the ITT Pinnacle PVS-14 with LDI DBAL-I2 IR 0.7mW laser and shot him in the shoulder with a hand-loaded Barnes 70 grain TSX @ 175 yards, he spun and died right there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I don't get the issue with the backstop.
    The "backstop" was somebody's house.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I didn't think much of it at first, until I saw a show on one of the science or Discovery channels or something about a woman that was attacked and partially eaten by coyotes.

I've had two encounters at the ranch now where one or more coyotes got within 30 yards of me without being afraid. The second one was within 30 FEET (but on the other side of a fence). I didn't have a safe backstop in either case, so I couldn't take a shot even though I had my M4 with me. The second one I yelled at, and it just looked at me like, "I know you ain't talking to me."

On that TV show, they killed the dogs and DNA testing revealed they had been mixed with wolf DNA at some time.

I'm beginning to think the coyotes around here are tainted as well.

Anybody else notice coyotes losing their fear of people?
    Of course. They are smart animals and will avoid what they know is dangerous and consider eating what they don't consider dangerous. If they are treated as cuddly woodland creatures, they have no reason to fear us and will not. In my area, they were re introduced and all the wealthy soccer moms wanted it. Then, as expected, wild animal meets easy food source, and people's fluffy dogs and cats and such started getting eaten.

Soccer moms, not so happy and in tears on the news over "fluffy" being grabbed before their eyes. Now there's a limited hunting season on them as their population has exploded. Have a few run through my back yard a few times chasing a rabbit.

I was taking a walk in the forest close by on a hike and came around the corner and one was in the middle of the path and had no intentions of getting off the path. This was a big animal too. I think of them as scrawny little dogs you see in the desert. Not this guy, he was at least as big as a full sized large dog.

I yelled at him, no response. I then strode at him to make it clear who the alpha creature on this path was, and he bolted after I took a few steps. I felt back peddling potentially more dangerous then going forward at that moment.

I have not seen any, but it's been reported local black bears are showing much less fear of people also, and that's bad mojo right there.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 06-04-12 at 11:12.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Varmint loads and sound suppressors should do the trick. Course some stupid yuppie politician is going to want to trap and release the bastards.

Considering the sizes of these yotes and health, they would make great blankets.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Seeing all these pics makes me wish I had private land to hunt yotes on here in VA. For now I'll have to wait for fall or drive out to OK and visit the inlaws if the urge gets strong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've had two encounters at the ranch now where one or more coyotes got within 30 yards of me without being afraid. The second one was within 30 FEET (but on the other side of a fence). I didn't have a safe backstop in either case, so I couldn't take a shot even though I had my M4 with me.
    Might be time to switch to an 870 full of high-base #6's or add a 22 pistol full of high-velocity hollowpoints.

The greenbelts in Seattle are full of coyotes, and every telephone pole in the ultra-liberal, gun-hater neighborhoods has several missing-cat flyers.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    I have them in my area as well. There are several reports of them walking into buildings full of people in broad daylight if you search. They can live anywhere that supplies food and do. They're always crossing the main roads around here as well. The few that are around my house won't come out to anything other than a bait pile or the house next door while they're on the porch. The misses see's them within 20 yards all the time but they never come near me. The only thing logical that I can think of is that it has something to do with male and female.

Another thing that most don't know or realize is that they are an animal that responds to pressure. Everything that was thought in the 70's mostly doesn't apply anymore. They actually will breed in larger number more frequently when they are threatened. If you kill some off they will literally breed larger litters in double the size to accommodate the loss and have a better survival rate. They don't need the range that was once thought and they normally hunt solo or in two's. One will decoy and the other approaches from the rear. You see this a lot on game cameras on deer or other larger animals. There have been countless studies on them with tons of new information.

Here's a couple from 40-50 yards out my door.

Healthy fox...this guy comes out as soon as I walk away from the pile and set the camera up.

Beautiful yote

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234