Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engagement 1911

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    A the owner of a few 1911's in that price range, I'd still be looking at just getting a Colt Rail Gun or similar, and perhaps getting it upgraded/customized (at minimum, some gorgeous grips that are perhaps engraved).

That also leaves enough cash to be looking at a 6720 for another couple hundred dollars.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    I'd still be looking at just getting a Colt Rail Gun or similar, and perhaps getting it upgraded/customized.
    I was just getting ready to post the same. I currently only have one 1911, it's a Springfield custom shop one and I love it, but if my wife were to say to me "hey, why don't you go get a 1911 to commemorate our anniversary", after I recover from the shock of that statement, I would go and get a Colt rail gun and send it off the Mars or Harrison.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    A the owner of a few 1911's in that price range, I'd still be looking at just getting a Colt Rail Gun or similar, and perhaps getting it upgraded/customized (at minimum, some gorgeous grips that are perhaps engraved).

That also leaves enough cash to be looking at a 6720 for another couple hundred dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by doriwoogie View Post

I was just getting ready to post the same. I currently only have one 1911, it's a Springfield custom shop one and I love it, but if my wife were to say to me "hey, why don't you go get a 1911 to commemorate our anniversary", after I recover from the shock of that statement, I would go and get a Colt rail gun and send it off the Mars or Harrison.
    While I plan on getting mine worked on eventually, it has yet to shown me a need for any work. That being said, I'd hold off on the 'smith, and buy some grips, lots of ammo and magazines, and maybe some night sights, and a holster or 2 instead.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I don't think you are sacrificing reliability at all by shopping under $2,000. Quality? Yes, but then again a Timex will often do the job just as well as a Rolex despite the cheaper materials and manufacture.

For $2,000 and under I would consider:
    - Les Baer (UTC, Thunder Ranch Special, Custom Carry)
    - Dan Wesson Valor
    - Colt
    - Springfield (TRP, Range Officer, Loaded)

Personally, I would not go more "budget" than a Springfield.

One I left out is the Springfield Custom Shop. They build very nice 1911s to order. The base model is the Custom Carry and starts at about $1700 retail, but you have to put down a 50% deposit and wait about a year.

I often recommend the Springfield Loaded Parkerized model to people who are looking at buying their first 1911. They are not too expensive (~$800) and are usually good to go out of the box. Mine was 100% reliable and was as accurate as I was capable of being.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    While I plan on getting mine worked on eventually, it has yet to shown me a need for any work. That being said, I'd hold off on the 'smith, and buy some grips, lots of ammo and magazines, and maybe some night sights, and a holster or 2 instead.
    Sorry, was not implying any issues with reliability but merely just for a few custom touches. The ammo, magazines, night sights and holster I just viewed as a given.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by doriwoogie View Post
    Sorry, was not implying any issues with reliability but merely just for a few custom touches. The ammo, magazines, night sights and holster I just viewed as a given.
    No I didn't think you were, all good. Just saying mine hasn't seen the need so if those aren't on the list already then go for that now.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I am planning on experimenting with custom modifications on this 1911. The first thing I want to try is front strap checkering. Because of this I am leaning towards something like a RIA tactical because if I mess it up, it wont matter. Once I become more proficient I can look into a high quality gun. The beauty of this approach is that I can swing the AR and a budget 1911 for the gift

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12