Thread: SA Loaded 1911 Rear Sight Problem

Feedback Score

SA Loaded 1911 Rear Sight Problem

Hey guys, I've had my Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 for about eleven years now. The only problem it's ever given me was right after I got it the rear sight worked loose. It's dove tailed in and fixed, my friend and hand gun mentor roughed up the dove tail slot and loc-tited the screw for me, with blue loc-tite. Unfortunately it worked loose again, so we repeated the process with red loc-tite. Well, the 1911 is my edc so I was just doing a cursory inspection and I'll be damned if it hasn't worked loose again. Any idea's on what to do to fix it permanently? Any help is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You'll need to add a little material to the bottom of the sight. Chuck the sight up in a vice tightly and use a punch to divot the bottom. It'll raise metal around the punch mark.. Just add more punch marks until it tightens up in the dovetail and reset the sight with blue loctite.. Ron
    Last edited by Kokopelli; 06-04-12 at 14:55.
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockonman View Post
    Hey guys, I've had my Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 for about eleven years now. The only problem it's ever given me was right after I got it the rear sight worked loose. It's dove tailed in and fixed, my friend and hand gun mentor roughed up the dove tail slot and loc-tited the screw for me, with blue loc-tite. Unfortunately it worked loose again, so we repeated the process with red loc-tite. Well, the 1911 is my edc so I was just doing a cursory inspection and I'll be damned if it hasn't worked loose again. Any idea's on what to do to fix it permanently? Any help is appreciated.
    Damn 11 years. You bought that pistol before i was old enough to buy guns lol.

Feedback Score
    Damn difficult to grab a Novak sight in a vise, as the darn things are tapered!
    A loose sight should be an easy cure for a competent smiff.
    Just sayin'.......
    Cheap-Fast-Good
    Pick any two.

Feedback Score
    Yeah stippling it with a punch is what I'd done before. I don't have the tools here so I guess I'll take it to a smith. Yeah badness I was actually 16 at the time, had just got into IDPA, my Dad bought it for me at the time. She's a beast, after carrying her for 6 years I'm actually thinking about getting something new, but I'll never get rid of her I love her too much. Thanks for the advice guys, I had hoped there was an alternative solution that would be more permanent since the stippling and loc-tite worked its way loose this past time, but I guess we'll do what we can.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You could always have someone add a little silver solder to the bottom of the sight and then refit it yourself afterwards. A little Kleen Bore Black Magic will fix the finish right up.. Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    Well I'm taking it to my favorite lgs to see what he can do for it today. Hopefully we'll be problem solved by this afternoon.