Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Must Do" reliability list

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Should be but then again what's the explanation for complaints owner's of these same 1911's report on the internet? They just making it up?
    Even high quality ones can suffer from bad QC. But they are much less likely to.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

in a perfect world

Redhat,
    You are closer to getting it. Just because it costs more doesn't mean it has been built correctly. It should be, but I can go through a list of firsthand experiences of more than one maker where things slip through the cracks.

That is why alot of big name instructors & others move to glocks, etc. It is like someone said earlier, the 1911 is a reliable weapon, WHEN setup correctly. I love the 1911, but I can't argue as to why others would not.

Feedback Score
    Any manufacturers hold closest to the original specs with the exception of ramp/work for modern HP ammunition?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Any manufacturers hold closest to the original specs with the exception of ramp/work for modern HP ammunition?
    It's difficult to determine without knowing what your price range is. The Dan Wesson guns are top notch quality and stuffed with excellent, non-MIM parts. The Colt's are good and many like Springfield (I'm not a huge fan personally). On a budget, I actually like the S&W offerings, though many don't like the external extractor on them.

If you get one, it's a good idea to have a good 1911 gunsmith look it over. If anything is wildly out of whack, they'll spot it pretty quickly. The main areas for reliability on a 1911 seem to revolve around the magazines, mag catch, extractor, feed ramp and chamber. A good "fluff & buff" may make one feed smoother, but will not overcome bad tolerances.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    It's difficult to determine without knowing what your price range is. The Dan Wesson guns are top notch quality and stuffed with excellent, non-MIM parts. The Colt's are good and many like Springfield (I'm not a huge fan personally). On a budget, I actually like the S&W offerings, though many don't like the external extractor on them.

If you get one, it's a good idea to have a good 1911 gunsmith look it over. If anything is wildly out of whack, they'll spot it pretty quickly. The main areas for reliability on a 1911 seem to revolve around the magazines, mag catch, extractor, feed ramp and chamber. A good "fluff & buff" may make one feed smoother, but will not overcome bad tolerances.
    Sorry I think you misunderstood my post. I am not looking for one...already have a Colt and S&W...I was just inquiring of the folks who know more of the details than me if any manufacturers hold to the "TDP" so to speak?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

specs

Red,
    As I have been told. if everyone stayed within a close tolerance to orig. specifications as drawn up for the 1911 blueprints we'd be good to go. The orig. specifications are very detailed and are used as ref when reviewing a current 1911.

In certain ways the tolerances can be reduced, thus improving the operation.

What can happen in today's world is that a manuf can just say that they don't need to adhere to the orig spec. ( start doing their own propietary thing ) or worse.

Worse: Two real world examples; One, the manufacturer trying to lower production costs starts cutting parts and not fitting them. Two, someone, for whatever reasons puts a part in the CNC machine incorrectly and you get a whole batch of govt slides with the firing pin hole off center, or the chamber drilled to high, where the ejector can barely contact the shell casing.

To run right the 1911 needs to stay within spec or be adjusted when out of spec. That is where our good 1911 smiths come into play, they know what is needed in making sure your 1911 runs right.

JMHO
    Last edited by lordofbarbeque; 05-13-12 at 22:30.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm not sure any of them build to the original TDP for a 1911A1 these days, but then again, the TDP can be updated. In certain areas my Colt Rail Gun does, in others, not so much. I didn't care at all for the extended slide stop or ambi-safety, so those got ditched immediately. However, the slide to frame fit wasn't excessively tight and while the barrel is marked NM, the chamber isn't overly tight either. It's been reliable through a little over 3K so far, with the exception of a couple of issues traced to one magazine, which was subsequently tuned and hasn't been an issue since. Accuracy is very good, if not quite "match grade".

If I had the cash to buy a top notch factory gun, it would be the Dan Wesson. With another grand, I'd buy a Wilson CQB. However, I don't need match grade accuracy and I do my own 1911 maintenance, tuning and parts fitting, so there's no need for me to buy one more expensive than the Colt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jstephens202 View Post
    Guys, I'm sure this has been asked before, but being the computer moron I am, I can't find the info.
    What do you consider the "Must Do" list for making 1911's as reliable as possible?
    Thanks for the info and the patience!

My .02, stay away from budget brands (except Rock Island Armory) and Don't 'fix' whatever's not broken.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm with the above poster on the info that can be had from 10-8 and LAV.

Also, I wrote an article for SWAT Magazine, January 2005 issue, that covers a lot of it-- you can get the back issue on PDF for five bucks at
    https://www.swatmag.com/issues/view/january_2005

Not plugging me or the magazine here (and I don't get a cut on the $5), just too lazy to re-hash it here!

Once you get one set up right, it's pretty hard to beat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I'm with the above poster on the info that can be had from 10-8 and LAV.

Also, I wrote an article for SWAT Magazine, January 2005 issue, that covers a lot of it-- you can get the back issue on PDF for five bucks at
    https://www.swatmag.com/issues/view/january_2005

Not plugging me or the magazine here (and I don't get a cut on the $5), just too lazy to re-hash it here!

Once you get one set up right, it's pretty hard to beat.
    This and or buy some of the well reviewed armorers courses and buy and read the Kuhnhausen books.

There are many things that can be done to 1911 by the user with a few tools and some education.

If you take some time to learn the 1911 and how it works you should be able to trouble shoot most problems.

+100 on reading the 10-8 blog. Hilton Yam offers up a wealth of info on his blog and forum. I learned more from him that any source.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast