Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Must Do" reliability list

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Red, of the two you have, what reliability issues are you experiencing? As mentioned by another poster, don't try to fix what's not broken. If your pistols are and have been running reliably, then you have a reliable pistol.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    Red, of the two you have, what reliability issues are you experiencing? As mentioned by another poster, don't try to fix what's not broken. If your pistols are and have been running reliably, then you have a reliable pistol.
    No issues with my pistols. I was simply curious if anyone knew what manufacturers (if any) still hold to the 1911A1 design specs....Colt maybe?
    Last edited by Redhat; 05-17-12 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I purchased two new Colts about 8 years ago and have shot them for tens of thousands of rounds, simply replacing recoil springs as prescribed by the manufacturer. A correctly built 1911 will be reliable out of the box for thousands of rounds.

Otherwise, how was this possible over 100 years ago?

"Over 6,000 consecutive shots fired from this pistol in one test without a jam, misfire or broken part! A PERFECT SCORE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    In case anyone is keeping score, Cameron just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Cameron won again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    ...Otherwise, how was this possible over 100 years ago?
    One big difference between then and now is ammo. FMJ ammo feeds better than modern hollow point ammo, especially short bullets with large hollow points.

The lower edge of a hollow point bullet hits the frame lower than the tip of a round nose FMJ bullet and on some frames they don't hit the feed ramp at all, they hit below the ramp.

I'm not saying that this is the only reason but a magazine loaded with short fat hollow points would choke many stone cold reliable GI pistols.

Then there is that 8 round magazine thing......

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I agree with low drag buy mags ammo and shoot it if you need to do anything to them you will figure it out during that process.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    One big difference between then and now is ammo. FMJ ammo feeds better than modern hollow point ammo, especially short bullets with large hollow points.

The lower edge of a hollow point bullet hits the frame lower than the tip of a round nose FMJ bullet and on some frames they don't hit the feed ramp at all, they hit below the ramp.

I'm not saying that this is the only reason but a magazine loaded with short fat hollow points would choke many stone cold reliable GI pistols.

Then there is that 8 round magazine thing......

And then don't forget that the colt 1911 that fired 6000 rounds in that mythical test was a very massaged sample. It is unfair to compared a pistol that has every single part inspected and tuned by JMB and some senior gunsmiths to a production pistol.

Feedback Score
    Guys I really appreciate all the replies and info. Only one problem left now for you to help with. Since my favorite replies are the ones which say "Just take it out and shoot up a lot of ammo", now I need to figure out a way to get the "shoot up a lot of ammo" idea past the wife!
    Seriously, thanks for the info. By the way, my 2 Loaded Springers have been digesting just about everything, thanks to y'all's suggestions....Still need to shoot more ammo though!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jstephens202 View Post
    Guys I really appreciate all the replies and info. Only one problem left now for you to help with. Since my favorite replies are the ones which say "Just take it out and shoot up a lot of ammo", now I need to figure out a way to get the "shoot up a lot of ammo" idea past the wife!
    Seriously, thanks for the info. By the way, my 2 Loaded Springers have been digesting just about everything, thanks to y'all's suggestions....Still need to shoot more ammo though!
    Do you reload? That would cut costs if that's the problem and not time. I think reloading the .45 is very cost effective as the cases last a long time with it's low pressure. Good luck with the wife.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Do what I do just save a little cash then keep it all in your safe so she can't get to it haha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Generally I use this as a "break in" check list. But here are my requirements for any firearm that will be carried or kept close by for self defense.
    Does it feed with all the mags that came with it?
    Does it feed and slide-lock on the last round?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with only one round loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with two rounds loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with three rounds loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with four rounds loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with five rounds loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with six rounds loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with seven rounds loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag +1?
    Where does the brass fall?
    Does the gun feel solid?
    Is anything found loose? Grips? Sights? Barrel?........
    Yes, the slide stop/release is tight.
    Trigger take-up?
    Trigger brake? It should be a surprise.
    Trigger reset?
    Does it shoot to aim?
    If everything on this list passes then I make no changes what so ever. Why fix what isn't broken? If something on this list fails, I seek a solution to the problem. The 1911 is a tried and proven platform it has been used longer than most of us have been alive. If you buy a quality gun you are pretty much getting a reliable gun without any mods necessary.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast