Thread: Which Colt = M16A2

Feedback Score

Which Colt = M16A2

Just like the title says:

Which current model Colt is the closest in spec to a semi-auto varient of the M16A2?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sully0812 View Post

Which current model Colt is the closest in spec to a semi-auto varient of the M16A2?
    There is only ONE that comes the closest to USMC M16A2... the Colt AR15 Gov't Model (6550). It is also a very hard one to find and if you do find one they are not cheap. They are probably the most sought after Colt model for collectors...

"Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a post ban Colt that started out as a Match Target H-Bar that I rebarrelled with a Colt M16A2 gov't barrel in Sept. of 2004.

Colt does not currently offer anything close to the M16A2.

I've since sold the ACOG, it's back to a bare bones A2.

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sully0812 View Post

I agree that Colt does not currently offer anything close to the M16A2.

Colt have the Match Target HBAR models MT6601/ MT6601C (with muzzle brake) but they don't have the A2 flash suppressor and bayonet lug also they have heavy profile barrel (under the handguards) instead of gov't profile barrel.

I was looking for the same Colt model closest to the M16A2 back in Jan. 2005 but since they didn't have it I decided to put together a Match Target HBAR MT6601 lower half with a Colt M16A2 upper half.

Another way to do it is what Templar did just rebarrel a MT6601 with a Colt M16A2 gov't barrel assembly.

Templar's way is better because the upper and lower receivers' finish will match better, not mine, I have a Colt gray upper with a black finished lower.

Colt Match Target HBAR site link
    YMMV

AR-15 SP1 owner since 1971
    NRA and CRPA life member