Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile/Removable Reloading Setup

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Mobile/Removable Reloading Setup

So here's the deal. When I get back from Iraq, I'm moving back into an apartment. Before I left I had a Lock n Load AP screwed to a cheap Wal Mart desk with some bolts and wing nuts. I'm looking for a more viable mobile for a lack of a better term setup than what I had. I'm planning on being able to mount my equipment, tool out some rounds, and break it all down so that I'm able to stow it out of sight.

Anyone done this before? I was thinking D clamps and having the press semi-permanently attached to a 2x4 or something. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Feedback Score
    When I was in your situation I bought a Black & Decker Workmate folding work bench. At the time they made one that was about 3' square and it was perfect for reloading. I haven't seen one that large for a while but perhaps they're still available. The smaller ones would work to hold your press but wouldn't be large enough for all of your reloading gear.

PS I did a google after my reply and B&D sell a 425 Workmate that's the same as the one I have.
    Last edited by slomo; 06-13-11 at 06:19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Don't know about an entire bench, but individual tools are easy.

If you're sticking with a bolt-down single stage press, you could probably put together something cheap that looks like this (if you don't want to shell out $75 for a wooden press stand):

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...en_Press_Stand

Here's another setup from TOS mounted on what looks like a 2x4, then clamped to a deck exterior (great idea if you like to load outside).

The other more expensive approach is to acquire portable tools that can clamped anywhere (like a bench at the range).

Harrell's Precision makes some very nice powder measures and turret presses that come with clamps.

http://www.harrellsprec.com/

I've been kicked out of the kitchen with this:

I use this mostly to seat bullets and do my crimping, but this has enough oomph to do resizing for .223 cartridges. If I'm just seating bullets and crimping, I'll clamp this to a coffee table with the TV on.

Last edited by 30 cal slut; 06-13-11 at 08:24.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mcclainm View Post
    I'm planning on being able to mount my equipment, tool out some rounds, and break it all down so that I'm able to stow it out of sight.

Anyone done this before?
    I don't know if this counts, but before I got a garage big enough to have two full-size workbenches, my regular everyday workbench had holes in the top where my RL550B mounted.

Once a year or so I'd bolt the press to the workbench, add all the accessories, and load ammo for several days straight (typically 'til I ran out of components). Then I'd break it all down and put it back in the Dillon box for another year...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Forgot to add

I forgot to mention. I'm using an already owned Lock n Load AP. I'm thinking of constructing a rough mount for it that can clamp to a table or counter top. I'm also thinking of adding a single stage for case prep (sizing, decapping etc.). Still looking for ideas guys.

Thanks for the input so far.

Feedback Score
    I just mounted my lee press using a Dovetail type system. I cut a 1x8 to 15" long and made to cuts 4 "s in from each end. I cut them at a 45 degree angle instead of a straight cut. I bolted the two ends to my bench and bolted the press to the middle piece. Now When i need room to my bench i just slide the press out and makes it handy for setting up other presses!
    To All those that serve either Law/Military I thank you for you service!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by codman View Post
    I just mounted my lee press using a Dovetail type system. I cut a 1x8 to 15" long and made to cuts 4 "s in from each end. I cut them at a 45 degree angle instead of a straight cut. I bolted the two ends to my bench and bolted the press to the middle piece. Now When i need room to my bench i just slide the press out and makes it handy for setting up other presses!
    Do you have pictures of this setup?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That dovetail idea is great! That's something I can make use of, thank you.

Feedback Score
    I dont have any real detailed shots I can take some when I get home.im going to try and upload from my DROIDX a photo.

Can't figure out how to upload from phone. Only tool you need is a table saw.
    To All those that serve either Law/Military I thank you for you service!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you don't want to use clamps and can get to the bottom side of your bench, then these and some properly sized bolts make for a quick and secure mount.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/T-N...4&ci_sku=1XGH6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast