Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Similar load to 70gr TSX?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Similar load to 70gr TSX?

Ok, so I've pretty much decided that I will be loading the 70gr TSX bullet for hunting on a precision AR setup. This will be for 200-300yd and in for hunting as well as just shooting every now and then to see how far I can stretch it out.

My question is, if I were to take a "light precision" type of class where I would need 500 or so rounds (and didn't want to pay the premium to shoot the TSX bullets for the class), which projectile would you use to load up for the class that will match as close as possible to the 70gr TSX round's ballistics?

I was thinking either 77gr SMKs or Hornady Match 75gr HPBT since the TSX is such a long round, but am I on the right track here? Is there something closer/better?

Feedback Score
    I don't have a surrogate but I did spend some time trying to put together a 70gr TSX load for my colt 20" govt barrel w/ 1-7 twist and 5.56mm chamber. I worked with RL15 and H4895 powders at 5.56 mm pressure. If I had a 14.5" or shorter barrel then I would have tried H322 as well.

The best so far is:

24.3gr H4895 (24.4gr listed as 5.56mm max load by barnes)
    Remington 71/2 primers
    hornady 5.56 brass
    2.245" coal
    moderate crimp with lee factory crimp die
    They chrono at ~2890fps (not quite as fast as SSA but a little more accurate in my rifle) in the 50ish F ambient temp range.
    5 rounds in 0.6" CTC at 50 yards which is about as good as this rifle will do. It shoots at the same elevation but 3 MOA (1.5" at 50yards) left of 5.56mm 75gr TAP. Trajectory to 300+yards is very close to 75gr TAP. I'm going to try it in my 16" LE6920 next.

This is a 5.56mm pressure load and should only be fired in a 5.56mm (not .223) chamber. As always, start lower and work up slowly. Hopefully this will give you a point of reference.

Good luck.
    Last edited by DRT; 05-16-12 at 20:39.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply DRT. I guess I'm going to just have to experiment to see what works. Sounds like the 75gr Hornady projectile I mentioned *might* do the trick...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    When the G first went to the 7 twist and the "heavy" 62 grain bullet, I got on the bandwagon and was all over anything 60 grains and more. Speer has a 70 grainer that is seldom discussed-- it's not a very glamorous bullet, downright pedestrian in fact, since there is no boat tail, it's a soft point, and a rather blunt ogive. But I used to get great accuracy from it in my 1/10 Douglass.... and for sure it'll be less expensive than any of the 75-77 OTM's. I'd be very surprised if it didn't give better accuracy than the 70 grain Barnes and a POI within 2".

I had kinda forgotten this one until I read your question. Never really shot any game with it but hmm, I wonder.... this might be a good candidate for a commercial load for short-barreled AR's.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballist...ail.aspx?id=14

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Will it really make a big difference which load you use for the class? You're taking a class where you will be taught how to work up your DOPE and use it properly to shoot range and shoot with precision at various distances. Can't you take the information you are taught and use it to set up the rifle with any specific load you have in mind afterwards.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by wahoo95; 05-22-12 at 08:39.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You got me thinking and checking prices. Hornady 75 OTM's are actually less that the Speer 70's. As good as those 70's have done me in the past I have to think the Hronady 75's would be better in terms of grouping, all other things being equal. But if you HAD to have another bullet that was exaclty 70 grains, maybe the Speer. Just don't forget that 68 and 69 grain bullets "might as well be" 70 grains too...... most of the best groups I've ever shot were with 69 grain SMK's.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Ned,

Thanks for the info! I'll have to look into the options you discussed as well. I was thinking that I would probably have to use a slightly heavier bullet in order to get closer to the length and BC of the 70gr. TSX bullet. From what I understand, the TSX is exceptionally long for a .223 cartridge...

On another note, your post about the ridges on the TSX bullet in another thread had me ask a different question: is it a pain in the a$$ to get a consistent seating depth with those ridges? How do you ususally solve that issue (if it is an issue)? Do you just not crimp?
    Last edited by Ironman8; 05-22-12 at 09:02.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Will it really make a big difference which load you use for the class? You're taking a class where you will be taught how to work up your DOPE and use it properly to shoot range and shoot with precision at various distances. Can't you take the information you are taught and use it to set up the rifle with any specific load you have in mind afterwards.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Yes that is a valid point, and something that I would do if I couldn't find a load that has similar ballistics, but for class OR just practice, it would just be a little easier to work with similar ballistics between loads....not a deal breaker, just a convenience issue.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    You got me thinking and checking prices. Hornady 75 OTM's are actually less that the Speer 70's. As good as those 70's have done me in the past I have to think the Hronady 75's would be better in terms of grouping, all other things being equal. But if you HAD to have another bullet that was exaclty 70 grains, maybe the Speer. Just don't forget that 68 and 69 grain bullets "might as well be" 70 grains too...... most of the best groups I've ever shot were with 69 grain SMK's.
    This was around my lazy reply - 69gr SMK's, or even the lowly Hornady IIRC 69's used in the PPU stuff can actually be impressive. Not sure how big a difference you'll see at longer range since the BC is going to be a touch different, but it would be a start.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Ok, so I've pretty much decided that I will be loading the 70gr TSX bullet for hunting on a precision AR setup. This will be for 200-300yd and in for hunting as well as just shooting every now and then to see how far I can stretch it out.

My question is, if I were to take a "light precision" type of class where I would need 500 or so rounds (and didn't want to pay the premium to shoot the TSX bullets for the class), which projectile would you use to load up for the class that will match as close as possible to the 70gr TSX round's ballistics?

I was thinking either 77gr SMKs or Hornady Match 75gr HPBT since the TSX is such a long round, but am I on the right track here? Is there something closer/better?
    I get within 1 moa of my 70 grain tsx loads when shooting 77g smk handloads.
    May I ask what power optic you plan on using on your hunting rig?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast