G&R Tactical
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the most out of your 5.56 SBR rifle with pricey .223 "hunting ammo"....

Feedback Score
    Your videos are always entertaining. Slo mo bullet trace was cool at 350yds.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Glad to hear some found the last stuff interesting.

Per poster request / my own curiousity....here are some results that I think are really neat:

165gr. Fusion / 150gr. TTSX

VS.

62gr. Fusion / 55gr. TSX FB

Pretty damn interesting head to head comparison there, and while one's a 16" 1000yd MWS, and the other is a 10.5" MRP that guards my home/person.....numerous things still I think can be compared apples to apples in broader terms like .308 vs. .223, or Fusion construction abilities/TSX construction abilities in .223 vs. .308, etc.

The dead nuts reliable cutting edge 16" .308 AR is just one helluva lethal and potent pill...and it just makes the .223 16" AR or any other one for that matter look straight anemic, and sickly. Amazing firepower in the L129A1-MWSF/SR25EC-M110C type rifle....enough on that.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 06-14-12 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Awesome thread and info as usual, trident.

By any chance, would you be able to add .300 blackout into the mix of testing results? Maybe the barnes vor-tx 110gr ttsx.
    Last edited by snackgunner; 06-14-12 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    Trident,
    wow... thanks for all of your research and more importantly sharing!
    I'm a newb to this site and you have already answered some of my first questions.

Feedback Score
    Simply Awesome, thanks for posting and taking the time.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Great to see some of you guys are interested in this stuff...snackgunner, I don't have anything chambered in .300blk or I'd love to test some of that stuff out. Perhaps in the future

I believe the following data and testing are my best effort in order to evaluate one of the most critical components when analyzing a potential SD/HD/PD round...which is to test the actual consistency of either the fragmentation or in my case the expansion properties within that particular SD/HD/PD round in question. The point of this is to not just cherry pick one round or two, but use a significant sample size in order to effectively measure how reliable this Fusion round expands when you hold the test medium constant, as well as all other relevant factors associated with this.

While this test shows nothing in regards to penetration or where/when the bullet is primarily upsetting, I think it tests the expansion abilities consistency extremely well.

My setup/testing model was directly inspired by the MacPherson's water test method, but not copied very closely at all due to the fact that this method is really for estimating handgun hollowpoint penetration.

These were steps I directly used in my model...

"
    2) Fire 10 JHP bullets (from same lot of ammunition as in step 1) vertically into center of water-filled container. Pause long enough for air bubbles to clear after each shot. There’s no need to stop to recover each bullet. You can recover the bullets all at once after you’ve shot the last one. (You will get wet doing this, but you can minimize the splash by placing an old bed sheet over the mouth of the water-filled container.)

3) Recover bullets from water-filled container. Using calipers, measure average expanded diameter of each bullet using instructions on page 251 (JHP Bullet Expansion) of MacPherson’s book.

4) Calculate average expanded diameter for all 10 bullets. "

So without further ado....

Huge reservoir in which to shoot vertically down into??....turns out a ladder, and a recycling bin have dual purposes around my place these days

All 10rds at the bottom of the collection reservoir after draining the water....

Analyzing the 10 round's avg. diameters, retained weight, and overall expansion....

Final data set for evaluating the Fusion's ability to consistently expand effectively:

Rd 1: .5380"
    Rd 2: .5210
    Rd 3: .6085
    Rd 4: .5660
    Rd 5: .6165
    Rd 6: .5125
    Rd 7: .5530
    Rd 8: .5690
    Rd 9: .5070
    Rd 10: .5590

Low: .5070"
    High: .6165"

AVG: .55505"

Additional statistics:

Last edited by ALCOAR; 06-22-12 at 21:35.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Good info! Any desire to test 70gr tsx? It should give optimal expansion out to about 275 yards from a 10.5" sbr, as loaded by ssa.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks, and I would eventually like to test some variety of the 70gr. TSX....it's just a bit difficult to find currently.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It's been said many times already, but thanks for doing this and posting it. Great stuff.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Thanks, and I would eventually like to test some variety of the 70gr. TSX....it's just a bit difficult to find currently.
    Just buy it from ssa who loads it.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast