Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a Ruger LCR 22LR - range report

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    My buddy just said a local shop has one, but apparently in CA they're LE only (anybody know if that's the case? it was the tag they had on it at the shop he said).
    Nope. It's on the roster now, and OK for anyone to buy..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I hadn't run my .22 LCR very much until a few days ago when I had a chance to put about 300 rounds through it.

Even using ammo stored poorly for 10+ years I have zero malfs. It's fun to be able to grab loose ammo from my junk ammo box and be able to load high speed, sub sonics, hyper velocity and shorts and never have to worry about a malfunction. My AA kit for my G17 is rather finicky about ammo so this is a nice change.

In addition, most likely due to the grip and trigger, I was easily able to shoot really well with that gun. Didn't shoot any groups, but doing a walk back drill on a half popper I was 100% on weak hand only out to 10 yards, strong hand only to the 25, and two handed out to the 40.

I like this gun.

ETA; had a chance to run our qual, KS C-POST course with this gun, both for giggles and because I will likely have this on me during trips to the woods, shot 100% on that COF from AIWB carry.
    Last edited by tpd223; 04-16-13 at 16:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    This is commonly known as "short stroking" in double action revolver shooting. It is more prominent in the LCR design. You now have discovered that you have to let the trigger cycle all the way out before beginning the next press.

I love my LCR .22LR. Up until recently, I shot it at every training/practice session. .22LR ammo are hard to come by this year, so I have not shot it much.

I came up with a simple drill, a variation of the famous Bill Drill with the addition of an actual local self defense shooting.

Using an electronic timer, starting with the fully loaded gun, aimed at the head box of an IDPA or USPSA (B zone) target, at 3 yards/9 feet from the target. At the buzzer, the shooter engage the head box will all 8 rounds. All shots must be in the head box. Repeat at any pace until the shooter can keep the shots within the 6" x 6" square (approx). With practice, one can get the hits and keep the time under 3 seconds. Under 2 seconds is good. I assume somebody like Jerry Miculek can probably do 1 sec. oh wait, he shoots S&W.

I kept the drill simple and eliminated the draw or presentation to the target. We are only dealing with trigger manipulation and sight alignment.

I got the idea from a situation here where a burgler broke into a home while a mother and her two children were hiding. When he discovered the occupants, the burgler advanced toward them in a threatening manner. The terrified mother shot the burger 5 times with her .38 special revolver. He did quit being aggressive and cried like a little girl begging her not to shoot him again. He was arrested by the police and transported to the hospital where he recovered.

While the gun, caliber and quantity of shots are different, it still made the drill fun and interesting. You can do it with the centerfire LCR loaded with .38 special. Again, 3 seconds would be a good time to shoot for.
    The "Loganville Drill." Destined to become a classic.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've been looking to find one for my wife for a while now. No luck in my area.
    US Army Infantry 2008-2012
    LEO 2012 - Current

Feedback Score
    I like my LCR 22 so much that I bought another in 22 WMR when they became available. Out of 3 LCRs the new 22 Magnum has become my favorite and moves the rimfire into the realm of a defensive revolver. Several ammunition makers have developed 22 WMR ammo specifically for short barreled revolvers, namely Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX1 and Hornady Critical Defense. Not only do these loads have more horsepower out of a short barrel they have really good bullet designs. So for anyone recoil shy or imfirmed in some way the LCR 22WMR would be an excellent choice. For a lot of us the rimfire LCRs are not only a great training aid for our centerfire versions but they are also fun guns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
    I like my LCR 22 so much that I bought another in 22 WMR when they became available. Out of 3 LCRs the new 22 Magnum has become my favorite and moves the rimfire into the realm of a defensive revolver. Several ammunition makers have developed 22 WMR ammo specifically for short barreled revolvers, namely Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX1 and Hornady Critical Defense. Not only do these loads have more horsepower out of a short barrel they have really good bullet designs. So for anyone recoil shy or imfirmed in some way the LCR 22WMR would be an excellent choice. For a lot of us the rimfire LCRs are not only a great training aid for our centerfire versions but they are also fun guns.
    I really like my LCR22. Do you find a noticeable difference in the trigger pulls of the LR vs the WMR?
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    JHC, Yes I did, the trigger on my LCR 22 WMR was noticeably lighter than the trigger on my LCR 22. I think Ruger may have tweaked the trigger on the Magnum version as I've examined a few and they all had a lighter trigger pull.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I continue to enjoy my LCR .22. A shop in my area has all calibers in stock, and I plan to buy one in 38 spl. My .22 smoothed up nicely with use. In this gun I will replace the hammer or main spring with one made for the .38 version and thus will have both revolvers with about the same trigger pull weight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    I continue to enjoy my LCR .22. A shop in my area has all calibers in stock, and I plan to buy one in 38 spl. My .22 smoothed up nicely with use. In this gun I will replace the hammer or main spring with one made for the .38 version and thus will have both revolvers with about the same trigger pull weight.
    I'll be interested to hear how that works out for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12