Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can I find a waterproof first aid kit?

Feedback Score
    I second Aloksaks if space is important like in a kayak or small sail boat. They work very well.

I also second building a kit that fits your needs and training. Build the kit, put each type component in a ziplock for organization and mild weather protection, and then put them in a waterproof box.

Both Otter and Pelican boxes are totally waterproof and very rugged. Either have great reputations.

Feedback Score

use of zip lock bags

Back when I carred a CLS bag I'd zip lock bag IV sets. so when needed just grab one and have whats needed worked well for me then, low cost. about any sealing box or bag should work for a case. It depends on the boat size you are packing for speed boat, kayak ? that way you can tune the kit for your needs, most "box store kits don't have much "needed" gear. Adventure Med has one for about any type of trip and group size. I carried and used one in Balklands with added gear.
    Skintop911 said it the best.Buy or assembly a kit that meets your needs, and throw it in a dry bag or zip-lock. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The rubberized dry bags work great. They can be floatable as well. Mostly just by air trapped inside but if you pack a lot you could clip a float to the D ring and or buckles. Pelican cases are obviously more durable but hold a lot less.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OPO4P2/...SIN=B001OPO4P2

But be sure you get the rubber coated ones. Not that thin see-through stuff. BTW, these roll up or down to make them smaller or full size. You just keep folding the reinforced upper edge. So it's always sized to fit tight on whatever load you put inside.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFPararescueDoc66 View Post
    Put your med kit into a Pelican Container. Extremely durable and water proof to 50 meters (I believe) might have to check into that one.
    Well said, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Feedback Score
    Make sure you throw tourniquets (plural) in. The most common "real" injury we see on the water is prop strikes and we have a a number of people bleed out before we get there.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Where can I find a waterproof first aid kit?

If a hard case isn't to your liking, a roll-top drybag is as good as it gets on top of being more durable than ziplock. Get the clear reinforced w mesh and you can see what you're after without dumping the whole thing

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For marine environment I'd package in Aloksaks even if using a waterproof hardcase.... Spray, humidity, etc.

Ask me how I know! (more than one spoiled marine "waterproof first aid kit).

I now keep pills in super tiny Nalgene jars with dessicant, etc.

If you are using single serve pills, then you need Aloksaks for sure. They will deteriorate just from humidity alone.

Gauze does not appear that sensitive, but other 1st aid items also will spoil from humidity.

Fav truck/camp setup now is a brit PLCE med pack/ouch that was intended to zip onto their pack. Not waterproof, but rain proof. Holds what I want, and I used the tiny nalgene's trick for medicines. Size of a large metro phonebook.

I lean toward otterbox over pelican in the smaller sizes, better seal. Larger sizes the pelican's have the advantage.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    +1 for the Pelican case and several tourniquets.
    www.highcountrydefense.com
    Out of a hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there and 80 are just targets. Nine are the real fighters, and we are thankful for them because they make the battle. But the one, the one is a warrior and he brings the others back-Heraclites

Feedback Score
    Pelican case is what I use on rafting trips or hiking.
    On my larger boat I use this http://www.walmart.com/ip/20563442?w...599990&veh=sem

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Assuming you don't need the rugged protection of a hard box like a Pelican case, then throwing your kit into a small dry bag would be ideal IMO. Dry bags are fairly durable on their own. They're also inexpensive and you can pick them up at most any sporting goods place like Dick's or Academy. Or just order one from Amazon.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast