Thread: 308 buffer

Feedback Score

308 buffer

Will a heavier buffer make a difference in felt recoil? If so what buffer would you suggest?

Feedback Score
    I haven't used one but from my searching, a lot of people recommend heavybuffers.com. Again that's only what I've found by searching. I book marked the website to potentially order from after I try out my build.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The answer is that it all depends. If you search for 308 buffer you will find several great threads answering this, and other important considerations, for buffer selection in the 308 AR.

Just because you spend $100 on a buffer doesn't mean it will be the right choice for your setup.

Feedback Score
    I got my buffer from Aero Precision, does anyone know the weight of these? I would be interested in trying a heavier one.

Feedback Score
    Cyclic rate will affect felt secondary recoil from reciprocating mass, as well as increased return to battery stroke impulse.

Heavier buffers tend to slow down cyclic rate, but too much mass can also lead to short stroking.

You have to balance the gas system with the recoil system, given a certain window of cartridge loads.

With the .308 guns, there are several different buffer length possibilities as well.

Rifle length buffers are shorter than AR15 rifle length buffers, but are longer than any AR15 carbine buffers.

Carbine length buffers in an AR15 carbine tube used on LR-308's are extremely short.

Carbine length buffers in ArmaLite AR10 carbines are the same length as AR15 carbine buffers, because the extension tube is longer. This is the better system to use for a .308 carbine.