Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best flashlight for Soldier overseas, those with .mil experience as an Engineer.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Not really looking for a weaponlight as I'll cross that bridge if/when he knows about any deployment.

I'd prefer to keep it AA battery powered because I don't know what the availability is for cr123's (and married PV2's need to save coin) where he is stationed. I'm thinking of a light that can be used in FTX/Guard Duty type environments. You know the stuff that goes on in non deployed units.

I know Surefire is the obvious choice, but their AA line-up is not just limited, it's non existent.

He is going to need a light that can easily convert to a light disciplined environment.

Keep it up, don't give up on this. Thanks.

ETA: As a first permanent duty station gift I sent him a pair of Matterhorn 10", 400 gram Thinsulate boots to keep his feet "tier 1". Damn, boots have gotten expensive!
    Last edited by SW-Shooter; 05-23-12 at 06:14.

Feedback Score

LED is the way to go!

For a hand held light, a Surefire G2 or 6P in LED are hard to beat. Lately I've been using the heck out of my Princeton Tech helmet mounted light http://store.greygrouptraining.com/SWITCH-MPLS.html Just make sure you get him the helmet mount, as not all big army units allow use of helmet rail systems.
    Tourniquet, nose hose, chest seal, dart!

In chaos, there is hope!

Feedback Score
    If you're not looking to put it on a weapon, I would go the headlamp option. You can do everything you would do with a flashlight, with the addition of actually being able to use both hands. Deployed or in garrison, I pretty much always have a headlamp around my neck, and a surefire in my pocket. I would say I use the headlamp 90% of the time. I'd go with the Princeton tech remix. 100L, runs on aaa, and various color LEDs available. http://princetontec.com/?q=remix

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Helmet mounted lights are one trick ponies. I think I'm going with the Streamlight, I think pound for pound it's hard to beat. That is unless someone chimes in with a more creative post.
    Last edited by SW-Shooter; 05-23-12 at 07:20.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    123s shouldn't be an issue from supply. A lot of issued equipment uses them.

Sure fires are the way to go for a handheld light, and for helmet mounted the Princeton MPLS is a lot better than the surefire light.

Headlamp is a necessity, too...

Feedback Score
    For years I carried a G2 Nitrolon Surefire and a SOG EOD multi-tool in a 2 pistol magazine ammo pouch on my belt. They were there everyday. Neither ever let me down. The G2 still works to this day. 123 batteries aren't that hard to get through supply, they sell them at the PX. One thing I have never seen personally with the 123s is a leaky battery unlike the AA and AAA batteries which I have seen ruin stuff in the past, if you don't check them regularly.

Sure you can get fancier and more expensive lights, but I always felt if I broke or lost my $30 flashlight, I would be a whole lot less unhappy than if it was a $150 light. If I had to buy one today, I'd take a hard look at the LED model.
    “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    Helmet mounted lights are one trick ponies. I think I'm going with the Streamlight, I think pound for pound it's hard to beat. That is unless someone chimes in with a more creative post.
    Pardon my lack of creativity, but I vote for a Surefire as well. I carried my 6Z on three deployments, and it never let me down. In fact, considering how many folks bought one after borrowing mine Surefire should probably put me on commission.

CR123s are easy to come by; I *rarely* had to buy any out-of-pocket. Unlike AAs, you can be sure the flashlight they're in is going to work when you pull it out, regardless of the temperatures they've been subjected to.

Feedback Score
    As far as streamlight goes. I have a tlr1 and it's an awesome light, zero problems

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I'm going to throw a shout-out for the E2D Defender.
    2 brightness settings to save on 123 consumption, usable pocket clip, and also serves as a functional face-shredder should the need arise.

It isn't cheap, but neither are Colts.
    A good light can make a huge difference in the outcome of a bad situation, so I am willing to devote as much consideration to them as I do my knives and my cell phone.

If you aren't looking to drop in excess of $150 on a light for your nephew (understandable), I would look at the G2 (or whatever the new flavor is). There are some other decent lights out there in the sub-$100 bracket (such as the Fenix PD31 and PD22), but I have not personally used them.

123s are widely available through issue and smart shopping.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    In addition to my previous post, "buy once, cry once!" I have used all kinds of lights and I continue to use and buy Surefire. The battery issue is nonexistent, as a lot of battery operated items use the CR123 and they are readily available. Just tell your son to make friends with the supply and comm guys and he will be set, plus you could send him some extras when you send the light to him. Surefire also makes the colored tip off covers.

If you are dead set on getting a light that uses AA's, take a look at the Gerber Recon, http://www.gerbergear.com/Military/L...light_22-80017, or something from Energizer, http://www.energizerlightingproducts.../military.aspx.
    Last edited by drtywk; 05-23-12 at 11:54.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast