Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best flashlight for Soldier overseas, those with .mil experience as an Engineer.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I'm going to throw a shout-out for the E2D Defender.
    2 brightness settings to save on 123 consumption, usable pocket clip, and also serves as a functional face-shredder should the need arise.

It isn't cheap, but neither are Colts.
    A good light can make a huge difference in the outcome of a bad situation, so I am willing to devote as much consideration to them as I do my knives and my cell phone.

If you aren't looking to drop in excess of $150 on a light for your nephew (understandable), I would look at the G2 (or whatever the new flavor is). There are some other decent lights out there in the sub-$100 bracket (such as the Fenix PD31 and PD22), but I have not personally used them.

123s are widely available through issue and smart shopping.
    I am going to echo this sentiment. I have had an E2D for about four years now and it has taken more hard falls at 30 MPH than I can count (falls out of my pocket when riding a bike usually). It looks like hell, but it still works great. I don't know how SKD sells them for this cheap, but they are in stock right now. ($132)

http://www.skdtac.com/SureFire-E2D-L...-p/sur.207.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The best flashlight is four of them. I'm not kidding, each has it's place, and savvy people probably agree with most of these.

1 Carry Everywhere utility light. Surefire. E2D, G2Z, or G2LED depending on budget.
    2 Headlamp. Princeton Tec's Quad, EOS, or Remix. Nearly as much utility as the former light, and it's hands-free. AAA or 123A batteries are fine.
    3 Keychain light. The small INOVA, in white or red (or both) are amazing. For arm pockets, attached to armor, and even inside seabags/luggage/pelican cases these can be indispensible. For vehicles, the four-legged bendy ones can have some clever uses too.
    4 Weapon light. If needed - if so, then Surefire. Scout Light (X600, M300), or the VTAC Executive almost-scout lights preferred.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    for EDC I would go with the SF G2X PRO as it has two light levels available. I would not use this if it has to double as a weapon light as the low level is the first option. in that case, just go with the G2X Tactical with one level...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    we were issued surefire helmet lights, sidewinder and energizer hardcase lights, and surefire scout wml.

helmet light- garbage save for the IR beacon, that was an ass saver a couple of times

sidewinder and energizer hardcase- very similar, I like the energizer more, brighter light (appeared to me anyway) more options
    http://www.energizer.com/lighting-pr...-military.aspx
    The sidewinder and hardcase rode in my ankle pocket the whole deployment

surefire scout wml- good light, zero complaints.
    OEF X-XI

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A G2X isn't too pricey. I would think that CR123s shouldn't be hard to find.
    You might also check out Elzetta lights. No personal XP with them but they use Malkoff heads and are pretty configurable. I've read a few good things about them and nothing bad yet.

ETA
    I've been carrying a Nextorch Mytorch AA flashlight for the last 3 months and enjoy it. It's nothing hardcore but is a great budget AA light. 70 lumen, 2 HR run time, dust and water resistance. I'm planning on picking a few more up to keep with emergency and camping supplies.

Long and in-depth review : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?314060-Nextorch-MyTorch-1AA-2AA-3AAA-(XP-E-R3-PC-Programmable)-Review-RUNTIMES

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by mallowpufft; 05-23-12 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Novatac Classic 2x AA - $60

I have carried a Storm, essentially the smaller 123 version, for two years now, and it works. Have dropped it from my pocket a couple times, as well as from the truck, and it keeps on ticking.

I have two Classics, as backups to a 6PLED and G2LED. I would consider them all interchangeable for my uses.

Plenty bright, and good beam cast.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    If you can spare the $$, I love my Elzetta ZFL-M60. That thing has been dropped, kicked, wet, and generally not been treated gently and never missed a beat.

I also really like the Surefire/VTAC offerings. I use an mini L4 on one of my ARs, very nice compact light.

If it's never going to be used on a weapon, I don't see anything wrong with the SF G2/6P offerings.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Used a G2X Pro for land nav up in the mountains with a red filter. Led light. Good battery life. 200/15 lumens, iirc. Good kit highly recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I went with the Sidewinder w/IR for his vest, and the G2X Pro w/red and IR caps filters. Total cost was under $250.00. Now for the paperwork to get them delivered to him legally.

Thanks for the input.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    good choices. I know if my uncles hooked me up like you are for your nephew I'd be happier than a pig eating...well ya know.

Good on you for hooking up a young soldier and starting him down the path of good gear.
    OEF X-XI

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast