Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best flashlight for Soldier overseas, those with .mil experience as an Engineer.

Feedback Score
    Someone's dad sent our entire crew (15 dudes) a bunch of these in a care package during my last stint in AFG.

Attachment 12302

Very useful when taking a piss or a dump in the middle of the night.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    G2X Pro w/red and IR caps filters.
    IR filter is useless. If he has NODs, he already has an IR illuminator. The only real use is when on a WML.

A blue filter is more useful (avoids detection better than any other color).
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    IR filter is useless. If he has NODs, he already has an IR illuminator. The only real use is when on a WML.

A blue filter is more useful (avoids detection better than any other color).
    $20.00 on Ebay and it was the Surefire one. Too hard to pass up.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    $20.00 on Ebay and it was the Surefire one. Too hard to pass up.
    If it was me, I'd rather you just sent me the $20
    Regardless, it's a generous thing for you to do and I am sure he will appreciate it.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ...A blue filter is more useful (avoids detection better than any other color).
    The light sensitivity of rods is shifted toward shorter wavelengths, and peaks in the blue range. Much depends on the transparency of the filter, but transmission levels being equal it's much easier to detect blue lights at night.
    Last edited by Frailer; 05-23-12 at 23:36.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailer View Post
    The light sensitivity of rods is shifted toward shorter wavelengths, and peaks in the blue range. Much depends on the transparency of the filter, but transmission levels being equal it's much easier to detect blue lights at night.
    If you are looking at the light source, they are all pretty easy to spot at a distance, but if it's just what is illuminated, the blue is hardest to positively identify as being man-made, or as coming from an artificial source.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you are looking at the light source, they are all pretty easy to spot at a distance, but if it's just what is illuminated, the blue is hardest to positively identify as being man-made, or as coming from an artificial source.
    I defer to your obvious experience and expertise, but I do believe red light is much better at preserving night-adapted vision, as opposed to other wavelengths?

From Wikipedia
    In biological night vision, molecules of rhodopsin in the rods of the eye undergo a change in shape as they absorb light. Rhodopsin is the chemical that allows night-vision, and is extremely sensitive to light. Exposed to a spectrum of light, the pigment immediately bleaches, and it takes about 30 minutes to regenerate fully, but most of the adaptation occurs within the first five or ten minutes in the dark. Rhodopsin in the human rods is less sensitive to the longer red wavelengths of light, so traditionally many people use red light to help preserve night vision as it only slowly depletes the eye's rhodopsin stores in the rods and instead is viewed by the cones. However the US submarine force ceased using red lighting for night adaptation after studies found little significant advantage of using low level red over low level white lighting.[3]
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Just stumbled across the primary arms pawl light anyone tried one yet? They have great reviews and look tough.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchen986 View Post
    I defer to your obvious experience and expertise, but I do believe red light is much better at preserving night-adapted vision, as opposed to other wavelengths?

From Wikipedia
    Trying to avoid a derail here, so if anyone wants to delve into this further we can start a new thread.

We have used red light to preserve night vision for a long time, however, that may not really be as effective as we used to believe. Take a look at these sites:

http://stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/

http://www.alicesastroinfo.com/2010/...-night-vision/

http://www.aoa.org/x5352.xml

Now, aside from trying to preserve night vision (which really is not an issue if you keep your illumination only as high as you need to see), one also has a necessity to avoid detection. A blue light will work well for the user, allowing him to identify good detail, and reduces detection (when properly employed), since blue is a predominant color in dark adapted vision in natural ambient illumination. Just like putting on clothes that match the environment, matching your light to natural illumination reduces your signature (as much as one can while using a light in the dark). It doesn't make much difference at higher levels of illumination, but when only using as much light as is absolutely necessary, blue light gives the user an edge.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    You did the right thing buying multiple lights. I don't think I could get by on this deployment with only one (or three) lights. There's just too many uses for them.

Now all he needs is a good headlamp, a good weaponlight, and a good keychain light. Possibly a helmet light too.

In my unit, we have 123s coming out of our ears. I have at least a two years supply sitting in my footlocker right now.

I'll also add that experiencially (as opposed to scientifically) blue light is harder for me to see at night than red, while a blue light SOURCE is easier to see than a red light SOURCE.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast