Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best flashlight for Soldier overseas, those with .mil experience as an Engineer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

AA and 123 lights.

I have a few sure fires, I like the saint minimus for a headlamp, the x300 for weapons, and the two lights below that are LED and have different pieces so that they will accept either a single AA battery or a Single 123A battery. I usually carry both lights, one with an AA in my pocket all of the time and the other with the adaptors in my pack/gobag.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/oligh...nsformers.html

http://www.batteryjunction.com/sunwa...r-ti-plus.html

http://www.batteryjunction.com/sunwa...-extender.html

Feedback Score
    I love my Fenix PD30.
    Takes 2 CR123's and fits snugly in most MOLLE application without the need for an actual case.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Probably beating a dead horse here...

I had a Sidewinder light issued. It was great for handheld work, but the clip was too weak to stay attached to my uniform or MOLLE webbing. Nice that it had blue & IR in addition to red as alternatives. It's a good all-a-rounder, but definitely begs to be dummy corded.

Some other good ones are the Sidewinder compacts and the Surefire Helmet Light. Especially the Surefire helmet light (HL1-C-TN) if he doesn't need to work with aviation assets. (Red for being sneaky to the unaided eye, whereas blue doesn't show up as brightly to NODs.) I bring up Surefire because they have been very good to me, in terms of durability and warranty support. A Surefire E1B as a secondary would be great. Maybe a 6P LED if you can still find one. The newer ones are painfully bright.

CR123A's *should* be plentiful though the supply chain if he's doing real world work and has a good amount of logistic support. But that's a big 'IF'. CR123A flashlights are definitely preferred because of the extended runtime and form factor.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by iaredavid View Post
    Probably beating a dead horse here...

I had a Sidewinder light issued. It was great for handheld work, but the clip was too weak to stay attached to my uniform or MOLLE webbing. Nice that it had blue & IR in addition to red as alternatives. It's a good all-a-rounder, but definitely begs to be dummy corded.

Some other good ones are the Sidewinder compacts and the Surefire Helmet Light. Especially the Surefire helmet light (HL1-C-TN) if he doesn't need to work with aviation assets. (Red for being sneaky to the unaided eye, whereas blue doesn't show up as brightly to NODs.) I bring up Surefire because they have been very good to me, in terms of durability and warranty support. A Surefire E1B as a secondary would be great. Maybe a 6P LED if you can still find one. The newer ones are painfully bright.

CR123A's *should* be plentiful though the supply chain if he's doing real world work and has a good amount of logistic support. But that's a big 'IF'. CR123A flashlights are definitely preferred because of the extended runtime and form factor.
    Thank you for the info on the "dummy cord", I'll be sure to include some 550 cord with the package. I did go with the Surefire as well, although I went for the obvious G2X series to keep the price reasonably low. I sure do hope he doesn't have any problems with obtaining the cr123's.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    make sure to go with the g2x pro just so he will save battery life by using the low level light. Sorry didn't read last post. Excellent choice g2 is my most used light.
    Last edited by circuit; 06-02-12 at 19:13. Reason: didn't realize OP had already purchased light

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    Not an engineer, but a Surefire 6PX or G2X mil tac light would be a great choice, IMHO. Plenty of light, can be mounted on a weapon with the right mount, and can be found fairly easily. I have several and they have served me well.
    Surefire doesn't do much, and Streamlight's HL series is also recommended. It is my favorite, and once you see it with your own eyes, you will definitely be impressed by it because of its delicate and sturdy construction. No light can last forever, but some light will last longer than others, such as Streamlight.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Best flashlight for Soldier overseas, those with .mil experience as an Engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by MarMark View Post
    Surefire doesn't do much, and Streamlight's HL series is also recommended. It is my favorite, and once you see it with your own eyes, you will definitely be impressed by it because of its delicate and sturdy construction. No light can last forever, but some light will last longer than others, such as Streamlight.
    SureFire’s are typically more durable than streamlights and this thread is seven and a half years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I'm betting the OP's nephew is already out of the Army by now. No need to resurrect such a thread.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456