Page 102 of 674 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202602 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 6733

Thread: The 1911 Handgun Picture Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPLOETHOS View Post
    d90king writes:

"That Colt is already far from "stock", I would send it out and do whatever you want with it. "

Hmmm really,

we must have different math skills.

Parts that were added before I bought it

1) trigger
    2) sight (BTW front only rear is stock)
    3) Guide Rod

Parts on it that are stock or OEM

1) Barrel
    2) grip safety
    3) bushing
    4) safety locks
    5) rear sight
    6) All internals
    7) Plunger tube
    8) hammer
    9) magazine
    10) slide stop
    11) mainspring housing

I count 3 items to 11 items stock.

I'm not going to change the front sight regardless. It is a King's, it is solid and far better than stock Colt's original.

I guess if you say thats "far" we have a difference of opinion of the word's definition...

For ME not far in the least.
    The rear sight is not a Colt sight, it is also a King's part. The thumb safety may or may not be original to the pistol, Colt rarely used the Mueschke ambidextrous safety. The MSH is not original to the pistol, it is a checkered Smith & Alexander, Inc. I'm sure you already know the stocks aren't factory.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Boring night @ work...

OD* writes:

"The rear sight is not a Colt sight, it is also a King's part. The thumb safety may or may not be original to the pistol, Colt rarely used the Mueschke ambidextrous safety. The MSH is not original to the pistol, it is a checkered Smith & Alexander, Inc. I'm sure you already know the stocks aren't factory."

YOU bring up some good points and you may be right. I had a good smith bud check it out before I bought it and give me what he thought was the 411. Coupled w/ my years I felt pretty smug about it's pedigree.

I'm going shooting w/ another friend who next week who knows more than I and will inquire as well.

While I do have the original arched serrated MSH I used this one which is a King's and should have made that clearer.

Rear sight does have taller profile and does make me wonder. You may be spot on there as well.

Thanks for your insights

I'm going to check it w/ magnifier and look for AC intials (possibility)...

I'll get back ...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    The rear sight is not a Colt sight, it is also a King's part. The thumb safety may or may not be original to the pistol, Colt rarely used the Mueschke ambidextrous safety. The MSH is not original to the pistol, it is a checkered Smith & Alexander, Inc. I'm sure you already know the stocks aren't factory.
    OD and d90 both make valid points and I noticed that the ejection port has been flared.

The modifications look tastefully and professionally done which adds to an already nice looking pre-80 series Commander.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    d90king writes:

"That Colt is already far from "stock", I would send it out and do whatever you want with it. "

Hmmm really,

we must have different math skills.

Parts that were added before I bought it

1) trigger
    2) sight (BTW front only rear is stock)
    3) Guide Rod

Parts on it that are stock or OEM

1) Barrel
    2) grip safety
    3) bushing
    4) safety locks
    5) rear sight
    6) All internals
    7) Plunger tube
    8) hammer
    9) magazine
    10) slide stop
    11) mainspring housing

I count 3 items to 11 items stock.

I'm not going to change the front sight regardless. It is a King's, it is solid and far better than stock Colt's original.

I guess if you say thats "far" we have a difference of opinion of the word's definition...

For ME not far in the least.

I had a long reply detailing your pistol written but I decided not to stoop to that level and deleted it.

Congrats on your new Colt best of luck with it.

Feedback Score
    HOPLOETHOS,

You have a beautiful Combat Commander, regardless of which parts it wears, it was very tastefully executed.

Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Checked it overw/ lupe, no proof or King's crown stamp anywhere.

Trigger looks like Kings.
    swapped out MSH. and guide rod.
    Taking it to range and see how it feels w/ changes.

Probably wil not do a full conversion to OEM. I really don't care for OEM front sights. Had too many fly off in the past.

Thanks for the help OD*.

Feedback Score
    Checked it overw/ lupe, no proof or King's crown stamp anywhere.

Trigger looks like Kings.
    swapped out MSH. and guide rod.
    Taking it to range and see how it feels w/ changes.

Probably wil not do a full conversion to OEM. I really don't care for OEM front sights. Had too many fly off in the past.

Thanks for the help OD*.
    You're welcome Sir.

Is the rear of the sight serrated? If so, it's a King's (not all their parts wear the crown), if not, it is a copy of the King's. Colt did not put HiViz sights on the pre-80 series Commanders (FWIW, Colt never made, nor marked a Commander as a Series 70, the "70" in the serial number is nothing more than a numerical prefix, you will find Colt's with the "80" serial number prefix that are not Series 80 guns. To have been an actual Series 70 and thus so marked, the Colt had to have the "Accurizor" barrel and finger collet bushing, which the Commanders never had).

Best of luck with your Commander amigo, it certainly is a dandy.
    Last edited by OD*; 04-12-09 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    OD*

Check.

affirmative, King's rear sight.

Check on the other info regarding Colt's numbering codes.
    I'm in awareness.

Thanks for the info.

it's appreciated in unravelling this project.
    Last edited by VooDoo6Actual; 04-12-09 at 13:58.

Feedback Score

I just had Wilson Combat upgrade my CQB with their new Bullet Proof Ambi safety (CNC'ed from one block of steel) and I thought I'd put some pictures up. This thing is built like a tank and it has a superb feel and very nice positive action, I'm very impressed. Another thing that I need to mention is WC's truly excellent customer service. They bent over backwards to facilitate my getting the gun to them quickly, they payed shipping both ways, did an excellent job (I also had some minor tweaks done to the gun which they didn't charge for), and sent me two free mags in the process with less than a week turnaround time.
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 04-12-09 at 23:40.

Feedback Score
    Good looking CQB.

Page 102 of 674 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202602 ... LastLast