Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Snap On Tools! Worth The Price For A Torque Wrench For SCAR/MWS/MRP?

Feedback Score
    I've got over $12K worth of Snap-On & MAC tools. Yes they're worth it. Their torque wrenches are the best there is. Free lifetime warranty / calibration. Buy once, cry once. Goes for tools, too.

Feedback Score
    You know who makes Snap-On's torque wrenches/screwdrivers don't you?

http://www.cditorque.com/

They're usually cheaper for the same wrench/screwdriver, just branded with the CDI name.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This may seem obvious and apologies if it does - but be sure to understand the difference between foot pounds and inch pounds, and make sure your wrench is in the correct range.

I've known a few guys who threw a torque wrench on that was way too big for the job, mistook inch pounds for foot pounds and broke a bunch of expensive shit.

Just FYI.
    The opinions posted above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Snap-On might be overkill for something that isn't used for a living but good tools rarely fail so peace of mind is there. I've never had problems with my tools and I use many daily, including Snap-On, Mac, Matco, SK, Proto, Knipex, Wera, Wiha, NWS, Fluke, Starrett, Etalon, Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharpe, etc.

As mentioned there are certain tools that tool truck guys rebrand because they're too specialty to manufacture themselves and you can save a buck buying from the original manufacturer. If you think mechanic tools are spendy, try paying $1500 for a micrometer or $2000 for a height gage.
    “The practical success of an idea, irrespective of its inherent merit, is dependent on the attitude of the contemporaries." Nikola Tesla

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    This may seem obvious and apologies if it does - but be sure to understand the difference between foot pounds and inch pounds, and make sure your wrench is in the correct range.

I've known a few guys who threw a torque wrench on that was way too big for the job, mistook inch pounds for foot pounds and broke a bunch of expensive shit.

Just FYI.

What? They make them inch and foot pounds???

C4

Feedback Score
    Also Kg-cm, Kg-m, and N-m. Gets complicated.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    What? They make them inch and foot pounds???

C4
    Crazy I know!
    The opinions posted above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Seekonk, Utica, and Borka all make nice in-lb torque devices too. All US made. The Borka is popular at The Hide since its simple and bombproof.
    “The practical success of an idea, irrespective of its inherent merit, is dependent on the attitude of the contemporaries." Nikola Tesla

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    Crazy I know!
    No wonder I keep breaking chit and can't get certain things apart!

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The number 12 is your friend.

If you're dropping that kind of cash and are anal about precision you also need to get one where you're not operating at the extreme ranges of the wrench. If you need 140 in-lbs don't use a 150 rated tool. That .25% tolerance is an average and the bell curve stretches at the ends.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast