Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snap On Tools! Worth The Price For A Torque Wrench For SCAR/MWS/MRP?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Boeing, McDonnel-Douglas, USAF and US Army all use Snap-on torque wrenches. They are sent out for re-certification every 12-24 months, depending on institutional requirements. In the last two or three decades I've been in aviation, I have only seen one or two Snap-On torque wrenches needing to be replaced. Many of the Snap-On torque wrenches I've used were several years old and they do get used and even abused.

Don't drop your torque wrench. If your wrench needs a calibration certification, it will then need to be sent out.

Don't "zero" your torque wrench before putting it away. Adjust it down to it's lowest setting, but no lower. Most torque wrenches do not go down to zero and adjusting it below it's lowest setting can cause damage.

Very few torque wrenches are made to used in the counter-clockwise direction. Do not use your torque wrench to loosen anything or to torque left handed threads.

The Snap-On torque wrench is the industry standard in aviation. It's worth $280 and if you take care of it, you'll be able to recover much of the investment if you need to sell it
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    This is a great torque wrench for your consideration. Fits in your range bag easy and can also fit into the storage compartment of an LMT sopmod stock. http://www.rei.com/product/823101/ef...que-wrench-kit

I use a Parktool TW-2 for my MRP and it works great. You never have to get them recalibrated either.. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NVAHMW/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=
    Last edited by cabbynate; 05-24-12 at 16:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    This may seem obvious and apologies if it does - but be sure to understand the difference between foot pounds and inch pounds, and make sure your wrench is in the correct range.

I've known a few guys who threw a torque wrench on that was way too big for the job, mistook inch pounds for foot pounds and broke a bunch of expensive shit.
    That may be obvious to some, but not to all. It certainly wasn’t to me. I bought a torque wrench in foot-pounds for working on my aircraft. I kept stripping the bolts, and they were Not cheap to replace. That’s how I learned. I traded it to a mechanic for teaching me the difference between inch-pounds and foot-pounds and some work on my aircraft. I then invested in a very nice Craftsman inch-pound wrench, and my problems went away.
    Last edited by wingspar; 05-25-12 at 10:55. Reason: Fixed so it makes sense.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.

Feedback Score
    Seems like a lot of cash for something you will only be using now and then. The BIL has a matco wrench so I just make him bring his home when I need one.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I can't justify their pricing... And my tools see SERIOUS use.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Snap-On is definately good to go. I have used tools my grandfather wrenched on tractors with and besides a few scuffs they are solid tools. A lot of the tools my family used have three generations of use on them.

They have a great track record and the tool boxes are awesome.

Feedback Score
    treat like it like the instrument it is and it will be a good wrench, most people that need a quality torque wrench use it several times a day for many years and that's what a wrench like that is built for. In my opinion any thing more precision we are getting into some dial types or a stretch gauge.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is what I bought. Same quality IMO as Snap On but not quite as ridiculously priced (though still a bit expensive):
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...-Torque-Wrench
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    What? They make them inch and foot pounds???

C4
    That was worth a chuckle.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapsandwich View Post
    They are absolutely worth the price. Snap-on and Mac tools are some of the best in the business. I used to be a craftsman man but as of late you have to look at the tool to make sure it's got a USA stamp.
    You will never buy another torque wrench now since you have that one.
    Congrats !!! I have a MAC Wrench and I paid around $220ish or so,,but I have had a few years,,so thats probably the difference in price,,plus I think it was on Sale !!! The MAC Truck comes to my place of employment for the Maint guys,,,but I always check stuff out and grab stuff thats on Sale !! Anyways,,ya done good,,its a tool that will last you a life time and ya can hand it down to your kids along with your Firearms & thats priceless !!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast