Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The quietest can ever...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers
    Can you measure the tubing thickness?

Maybe it broke on the seam of welded-seamed tubing?

Is it 303 stainless?
    I could measure the tube but I'm not going to.

It split because the tube was too thin.

Feedback Score
    That tubing 0.065 thick (I counted pixles in Photoshop) with a 1.37 inch ID. It is not too thin. There was another problem such as a defective seam on seamed tubing.

I use this to pick tube thicknesses: http://www.engineersedge.com/calcula...l_pres_pop.htm

Feedback Score
    I didn't have any problems, Robert. Maybe try reading the entire thread.

Feedback Score
    I am just not sure why you feel the tubing was too thin when it is the same thickness used by popular companies such as Gemtech. In fact, it is thicker than Ops Inc or Surefire tubing.

Feedback Score
    Applying your MIT masters degree to this thread is unnecessary since the can was a POS and the thread title was a joke. Move on Robert, we aren't going to debate this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    The tube was obviously too thin since it split and it wasn't a seem or weld failure. When you use unknown alloys you need thicker tube or a welded structure.
    If the tubing was a common thickness (it was), but the alloy was a substandard alloy, then I would say the problem is the alloy or the tubing had a non-visible structural defect.

Feedback Score
    In case you missed it Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    It is a burst .308 can. The can is not mine so I can only give you what info I have. No baffle strikes before the tube split.
    I think it would be prudent to rent a time machine and go back in time so that we can get a sample of the tube in order to Xray the metal for molecular defects. Furthermore, I think we need to put together a panel of scientists and metallurgists so that we can analyze what exact type of stainless steel was used. In the end I am confident that we can show proof that the can was not strong enough to hold the pressure of a .308 cartridge.

Feedback Score
    It looks to me that the suppressor was made from seamed tubing and started to fail where the knurling intersected the weld seam. Depending on the type of seamed tubing, it might only be 70% as strong as seamless. It is an interesting picture of a failure since it looks like it unziped down the seam. I would have though that it would have stopped at some point before the end of the tubing. Welding the baffles to the tube would obviously have resisted the spliting and might have even kept it from failing altoghter. I know its not your suppressor but did you see if the blast baffle was close to the muzzle? The first expansion chamber size can vastly alter the pressure stresses on the tubing.
    Firearms engineer for hire on a piece work basis.

http://weaponblueprints.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nope, I counted the pixels too and you are off by one.

Were you by any chance looking at a laptop screen? My CRT monitor is up at 1856x1392 resolution and it's crystal clear.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    I used my desktop. It is 2650x1600.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast