Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The Fighting Carbine, AK Edition

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another offset mount option is new light mount from Way Of The Gun. Its designed around the Protac 1L, but fits other lights with same diameter. Thinking of doing this on Draco SBR. http://www.wayofthegun.us/plm-proctor-light-mount/
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Okay, dumb question time: How does one operate an AK left-handed? Specifically wondering about the operation of the safety, here.

Thanks!
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Okay, dumb question time: How does one operate an AK left-handed? Specifically wondering about the operation of the safety, here.

Thanks!
    Simple answer: Support hand
    Easy answer: Krebs Ambi
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    Simple answer: Support hand
    Easy answer: Krebs Ambi
    I have a Krebs ambi-safety. I am, however, concerned about inadvertently taking the weapon off safe due to how low the rear portion of the safety hangs down on the pistol grip. (And Arsenal's stupid, fat rear trunnion rivet make it rather difficult to put the gun back on safe.) And I just watched this and noticed that everybody's favorite cross-eye dominant retired Delta assaulter is rocking a standard Krebs safety on what is apparently his most recently set-up - and practically spare-no-expenses - AK.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    I just finished going through the whole thread--enlightening read!

Something that really stood out to me was Jippo's comment on 5/30/12:
    "VFG:
    One serious drawback in using a VFG with an AK is it's effect on POI. Especially so if it is used to support the weapon against a barricade etc. AK's generally come with relatively thin non-freefloat barrels that tend to vibrate a lot when fired. In my experience difference between pushing and pulling the VFG can mean a POI shift of 10 inches or more at 100m distance."

I installed a Romy 'Donkey Dong' lower handguard on my WASR, for the comfortable angled grip it gives me. The above comment gives me pause, though. Is a simple, solid grip using this handguard likely to throw me off badly, to the point that going back to a straight handguard is recommended?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shep854 View Post
    The above comment gives me pause, though. Is a simple, solid grip using this handguard likely to throw me off badly, to the point that going back to a straight handguard is recommended?
    In the other thread, you say you've got over 1000 rounds through your rifle. Do you notice a POI shift when shooting in difference positions with the VFG?

If so, there you have it. If not, well... there you have it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    In the other thread, you say you've got over 1000 rounds through your rifle. Do you notice a POI shift when shooting in difference positions with the VFG?

If so, there you have it. If not, well... there you have it.
    HA! Got me!! I never thought to consider this; the vast majority of my shooting was at steel plates--a 'CLANG was good enough.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shep854 View Post
    HA! Got me!! I never thought to consider this; the vast majority of my shooting was at steel plates--a 'CLANG was good enough.
    I've done some testing for you as well. I have had discussions about this issue with several people who often have hard time believing what I am saying, so I made this little test. I shot my Sako M92 from a bipod for two groups in a same target. I fired both groups from bench (sitting rested) with my support hand holding the bipod. First group I shot pushing the bipod forward with my thumb, and the second group pulling the bipod backwards with my index finger.

Test setup:

(Sako M92, Brugger+Thomet rail, Vortex PST 4-16x FFP scope)

Test target:

With only this small force I was able to create a one MRAD difference in the POI. Now imagine using full length VFG and pushing it towards a barricade with 200lbs body weight.

Feedback Score
    AK.jpg

My buddy holding my Arsenal.

SLR-107
    ALG Trigger
    Krebs Safety and retaining plate
    US Palm grip
    Ultimak Rail
    Blue force AK sling
    Magpul MOE mags or Gibbs mags with bolt hold open followers
    Primary arms Micro dot
    (I also stippled the forend of the rifle so it feels like a sig E2 grip) Will not slip.

I still need to mount a white light to it and I am looking at replacing the rear sight with the wider rear notch sight from Krebs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jippo View Post
    I've done some testing for you as well. I have had discussions about this issue with several people who often have hard time believing what I am saying, so I made this little test. I shot my Sako M92 from a bipod for two groups in a same target. I fired both groups from bench (sitting rested) with my support hand holding the bipod. First group I shot pushing the bipod forward with my thumb, and the second group pulling the bipod backwards with my index finger.

Test setup:

(Sako M92, Brugger+Thomet rail, Vortex PST 4-16x FFP scope)

Test target:

With only this small force I was able to create a one MRAD difference in the POI. Now imagine using full length VFG and pushing it towards a barricade with 200lbs body weight.

I had to look at that photo for a minute and didn't register what it was, then realized you are Finland. How lucky you are to own such a rare rifle.

Neat.

7n6

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast