Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fighting Carbine, AK Edition

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    I've never seen Polish mags tested, but in videos where the rifle was dropped onto the magazine, all magazines that lacked metal locking tabs failed. Maybe the Polish mags are different or it just doesn't happen often enough to be an issue?
    FWIW, Sig 550 series mags lack metal reinforcements as well.

Feedback Score
    mo3, thanks for the input.

Montrala, I guess being accused of bad behavior must be the price for still having balls.

I own and use a TWS topcover and like it for it's lack of weight- it's actually about half an ounce lighter than the original parts it replaces since the top cover and rail are aluminum and they replace the topcover, rear sight, and the rear section of the recoil spring guide rod. I think it might be the lightest optic mount solution for the AK in the world right now.

Mine seems to hold zero very well so far. I'll have to test it the next time I'm at the range to determine exactly how much shift there is, if any, when opening and closing the top cover.

I'm curious, is the POPC steel or aluminum? How much does it weigh?

Looking at the picture of your mini Beryl, I really like the look of the magazine release. That would make the magazine bash mag change method more consistent, I think.
    Last edited by Aries144; 06-12-12 at 01:20.

Feedback Score
    I'm curious, is the POPC steel or aluminum? How much does it weigh?
    POPC is steel. Actually POPC3 (one I have) is heavier than POPC4 (current), beause POPC4 uses lightening holes. POPC4 is higher and 1913 standard, while POPC3 is Weaver. I use POPC3 because I wanted RDS as low as possible. If I would go for light weight, I would keep RDS on front handguard and throw POPC away.

ETA: POPC3 is 11.5oz.
    Last edited by montrala; 06-12-12 at 11:57.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    You Poles just drop your rifles wrong.

I've never seen Polish mags tested, but in videos where the rifle was dropped onto the magazine, all magazines that lacked metal locking tabs failed. Maybe the Polish mags are different or it just doesn't happen often enough to be an issue?
    I asked some questions here and there. I found out that dropping rifle in way that it hits ground by magazine is part of standard Polish Army acceptance tests. Magazines can not be damaged, to pass the test.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

Feedback Score
    Montrala,

Thank you very much for looking into that, I appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    Montrala,

Thank you very much for looking into that, I appreciate it.
    No problem. Other info I got was to stay away from white translucent mags for Beryl (polymer is ageing on those and can become brittle). Old black mags and new green/blue translucent are OK (with latter being best).
    Montrala

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m03 View Post
    FWIW, Sig 550 series mags lack metal reinforcements as well.
    But the rear lug is far more robust.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    I do not know how good TWS rear mounting solution holds zero, but it has advantage of "general AK" compatibility. POPC needs Beryl rear trunion.
    I specifically did not mention the TWS because I have never, since they were released, seen a viable RTZ test. Never. I've seen a lot of half-assed and half-completed tests but nothing definitive.

I'm not saying it doesn't hold a zero, I'm saying that I've never seen a single test that proves it holds a zero. What I'm looking for is a LaRue-style test but so far no one has stepped up to bat. I've seen a couple trials but none with positive conclusions.

Frankly, it makes me want to break my own rule of, 'no more free reviews' and just do it myself.

BTW White translucent and black solid magazines gave steel reinforcement in top front part of the mag. New, blue translucent mags does not, however plastic on blue mag feel more crack resistant. I've seen guy at FB Radom hammering with some decent sized hammer on blue magazine body from the side and hammer just kept bouncing back.
    Again, the same sorta thing. I have not seen any military drop tests on this so I cannot comment. I will say that no metal reinforcement = total deal breaker for me in regards to AK mags.

Magazine pushups/hammering/whatever don't mean anything to me--bear in mind that this article was written for the American AK-enthusiast first and foreign-nationals second; this means I mostly write about items commercially available on the American market and not niche items available in some small national militaries.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    Dave,

I'm planning on a range outing tomorrow.

Would this work?

1) Fire 1 10-shot control group at 100 yards
    2) Fire 3 10-shot groups at 100 yards, opening and closing the cover after each shot
    3) Post results of test with pictures of targets along with description of testing method applied

Would performing the above, while firing prone from a bag used as a rest, be acceptable? I don't have access to any better stabilizing equipment/method for a rifle.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Dave,

I'm planning on a range outing tomorrow.

Would this work?

1) Fire 1 10-shot control group at 100 yards
    2) Fire 3 10-shot groups at 100 yards, opening and closing the cover after each shot
    3) Post results of test with pictures of targets along with description of testing method applied

Would performing the above, while firing prone from a bag used as a rest, be acceptable? I don't have access to any better stabilizing equipment/method for a rifle.
    Here's what I was thinking:
    -Fire a statistically significant group (10+ shots at 100m) to establish the baseline
    -Stand up, sit down, and raise/engage the rail system 10-12 times or so
    -Fire a statistically significant group again and track the zero
    -Rinse and repeat about 10x times

Track the group from the original each time and record standard deviation from original zero.

This kind of extensive testing has not been publicly done to my knowledge at the date of this posting. The couple who have tried the above experienced more than expected shift during the first couple trials and then quit. Like I said above; I may have to just spend the money to do it myself.
    Last edited by Dave_M; 06-23-12 at 01:57.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast