Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to get a "guard" dog

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Looking to get a "guard" dog

So the wife and I have been debating on what breed of dog to get. I want a German Shepherd and she wants something more along the lines of a Black Lab. I have been looking in to local breeders and trying to research what exactly I need to be looking for as far as my needs and wants. I will be purchasing a dog with papers, but I know that just because they have papres does not make them the best dog. I have been a dog owner for about 6 years now, but nothing larger than 20 lbs. I want a dog that will be all around great with the family, but also willing to protect that same family. I would like to hear what those with experience in selecting a future family member have to say about encounters and experiences. Thanks-Warren

Feedback Score
    Rottweiler. They are super with the family and very protective

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

Feedback Score
    I've owned dogs my whole life.

I had a German Shepherd when I was a kid, a Rotty when I was in HS, and now I own 2 APBT's.

Our neighborhood was hit by robbers once, the three houses on both sides of us (6 total) were robbed while everyone was at work. Our house wasn't touched. I don't know if the robbers could see our dogs but they could definitely hear them and that was enough of a deterrent. None of the other houses had dogs.

Any dog with a good bark will be a good "guard dog" in most cases. I'm just saying this because every swinging dick (like me) is going to tell you why "X" breed is better than the other.

I also have a 2 year old, if that matters.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a buddy that breeds papered pit bulls.

His dogs and their offspring are some of the most fun, loving and protective dogs I have ever come across. They stand by their owner or a known to them "friend" if a stranger to them approaches. All it takes is a "he's ok smoky/mj" and the dogs will immediately accept the stranger, if that is not said they'll stay by your side and be very watchful.

I dog sat while my buddy was out of the country. The dogs barked at a door knock, but only once. They are completely polite dogs and are well trained.

I'd own one of his dogs, save for the fact they shed like crazy and I live in an apt that doesn't allow pets.

Pit Bulls imho are an awesome breed that can fill both the family pet and protector role with the correct training.
    OEF X-XI

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Wink

Belgian Malinois.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    German Shepards are pretty awesome dogs. They are extremely smart and loyal/protective members of the family.
    Join Gun Owners of America Here

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. - The Bodasafa

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Boxer Dogs...
    Pro's
    -great with kids
    -very protective
    -big bad dog look
    -awesome family pets

Cons
    -short life span 9-10 years
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just don't like Pit bulls or Rottweilers as I have seen too many turn on their owners and used them as a chew toy.

Just something about those dogs and I'M not sure what it is but they are the predominate breeds linked to owner mauling's in my area.

I'M sure Pits and Rotties they can be great pets but one hardly ever hears of a Lab, German Shepard or Retrievers biting the owners up in my area.

But then I rely on my cats to trip up the bad guy burglarizing my home breaking his neck. Once I get home I'll check the kitty box for the hidden remains as cats always bury crap.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 05-30-12 at 22:46.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    I think this topic will bring forth strong personal opinions, it does for me. I love my German Shepard, she IS part of our family. That said Animal Plant had a show awhile back which stated the GSD (Germand Shepard Dog) was a great family dog, great with kids and VERY protective. So much so that is was the number one breed for biting strangers, so take that into consideration. They can, however, be trained better and eaiser than most other breeds, hence their use in professional roles.

That said, I can't think of any other breeds that could consistantly exceed the capabilities of the GSD. But again I am STRONGLY biased.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I just don't like Pit bulls or Rottweilers as I have seen too many turn on their owners and used them as a chew toy.

Just something about those dogs and I'M not sure what it is but they are the predominate breeds linked to owner mauling's in my area.

I'M sure Pits and Rotties they can be great pets but one hardly ever hears of a Lab, German Shepard or Retrievers biting the owners up in my area.

But then I rely on my cats to trip up the bad guy burglarizing my home breaking his neck. Once I get home I'll check the kitty box for the hidden remains as cats always bury crap.

I don't mean to sound racist..and I too have heard this due to work..but every..single..one..has been "african american" and most, when questioned, have admitted to "not being very nice" to the dog. Almost all situations had children in the house too, and the dogs (at least in the cases I read about) never went after the children.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast