Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to get a "guard" dog

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IYAAYASwarrior View Post
    ... I have been a dog owner for about 6 years now, but nothing larger than 20 lbs....
    That is not a dog, sir. That is a cat with a long nose.

Feedback Score
    Have you thought of adopting. We adopted a lab/ pit mix and she has been the best dog I have ever owned. Easy to train and extremely protective of me and the wife. Plus she's bad ass at catching a frisbee.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In my opinion, any dog that is properly socialized into your family and treated as such will probably lay down their life for you.

Also be aware that dogs usually make better alarms than anything else, and even that can't be counted on. They are living things, and they do get tired and have a tendency to say "screw it, not playing today" just like humans do.

Get the dog that will be the best companion, and fits your family well. Think of it as a pet, and any "guard dog" stuff will come naturally.

I have two Golden Retrievers that are the best companions ever. They will put on quite the show for a stranger, but if they charge, they just jump up and down in front of you, cause they don't know what to do after that...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If you're serious about guarding, German Shepherd or maybe a Malinois. I've owned both. Currently have a Mal. A good GSD is my first choice. There's many reasons the police and military use these breeds.

Don't fall into the trap of believing bigger is better. Go with a proven breed. There are many good dogs that need adopted, even GSDs and Mals. A 2-4 year old dog is not too old to learn and to become part of your household.

Feedback Score
    I should have mentioned in my post that all the dogs I have owned were adopted from animal shelters (my mom used to work for the Humane Society).

To the OP, as others have mentioned, don't think you have to drop big money on a dog for it to love and protect your family. Dogs aren't AR's, it's okay to go with the "Bushmaster" you find at the local shelter.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Whatever breed (if you go purebred) you choose, be sure to read up on the breed's needs for work, exercise, control etc. Some working dogs (like Mals) may need more "work" than you can give them in a family setting, and if those family members around them the most are not comfortable being dominant over the dog, you may see significant behavioral problems with the dog.

With mixed breeds you still need to make sure "opposable thumbs beats 4 legs" mentally, but you don't have the same set of breed-need guidelines to judge things by, since you don't know what aspects of their breeds a mix will inherit.

That said, I have 3 Monkeys (2 legged variety) and 3 Rhodesian Ridgebacks (2 of uncertain parentage).
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alienb1212 View Post
    That is not a dog, sir. That is a cat with a long nose.
    lol...he's a fat little F***er!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have looked into adoption as an option, but I would prefer to buy a registered/papered pup. Both my wife and I are liking the thought of having a dog that will be a playful, obedient, loving, and in the event--guardian of our slice of heaven. All the research I have been doing and the opinions I have heard lead me to believe what I want/need is a GSD. On that note, if those that know what to look for, and can maybe shed some light on this--what is the best route to take as far as a purchase and what are do's and dont's??? Thanks

Feedback Score
    I am a rfetired LEO working dog handler. After seven years on the street together, I had to put my GSD "Hans" down from injuries. It bothered me so much that i retired rather than getting another dog.

Seriously pay attention to what i am going to say. I have participated in "Schutzhund" training as both a handler/dog trainer and as an agitator in trials. I have working dogs for the better part of forty years.

For your purposes, all you need is a dog that you and your family will looive to death because it has been my experience and evry other dog trainer/handler in the countrry's experience that that bond is the only thing you really need.

I love the GS because of Hans but all the other breeds mentioned here all have their good points and will serve equally well.

But if you accept a dog into your family and encompass the dog into the family so that he excepts the family and his place as his "pack", you really don't have to do much more than that.

For the way you describe your situation, i would suggest a Lab because they are less aggressive and territorial. On the other hand, there are numerous anecdotal stories of Labradors saving their oweners in all kinds of situations and very few where they have misjudged or over reacted in a situation.

And don't downplay any of the samller breeds either, especially terriers ("terrors" is well deserved nickmname). My wife's Jack Russell would die for any of us and while he might not be big enough to stop a threat, he would surely alert us and give us time to stop it ourselves.

Send me PM if you want to talk more.
    Bud

Feedback Score
    I have a Malinois 7 mo old and a blue Doberman 8 years old. I would never get another Doberman myself. They are very very needy and vocal about everything.

My Malinois is plenty protective at 7 months and seems to be much much more intelligent and "trainable" than the Doberman was at any age. I know they all can have a shall we say slow member of the family, but my Doberman just doesn't get it. These are house dogs. I have bred and raised English Pointer bird dogs for 11 years so I have dog experience.

I just couldn't be happier with my Mal. He has all the drive, heart, determination, and most importantly smarts I could of ever wanted.

Just my 2 cents

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast