Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to get a "guard" dog

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This is going to sound like the gayest thing on the planet.

Standard poodle.

My mother and sister got standard poodles a few years ago. Truely fantastic dogs. Smart loyal don't shed. Very protective. Awesome with kids.

If you give them a decent haircut it ain't bad

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BudMan5 sounds like a man providing sound advice.
    Last edited by montanadave; 05-31-12 at 18:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I appreciate the advice on everything fellas. I'm still undecided on EXACTLY what I want, but I have to say that I want some size--something along the lines of 60-80. Regardless of my decision, I appreciate all the input.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm currently looking at our two German bloodline GSD's, and couldn't be happier. They notice EVERY sound, stranger walking by, anything that is at ALL out of sorts. They have had minimal training, which we're working on, but pick up things very easily with minimal repetition. They are fantastic with our kids, which is nice because in our new bigger backyard we just turn the four of them loose and know that the kids will be looked after well, even if daddy keeps constant, unnoticed tabs on them
    Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it.
    -Buck Brannaman

"Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution,or you're just part of the landscape."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My dog is a 25lb Boston Terrier great with the kids a bundle of love and alert. He will wake me and my M-4 will do the heavy lifting.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IYAAYASwarrior View Post
    I have looked into adoption as an option, but I would prefer to buy a registered/papered pup. Both my wife and I are liking the thought of having a dog that will be a playful, obedient, loving, and in the event--guardian of our slice of heaven. All the research I have been doing and the opinions I have heard lead me to believe what I want/need is a GSD. On that note, if those that know what to look for, and can maybe shed some light on this--what is the best route to take as far as a purchase and what are do's and dont's??? Thanks
    http://www.germanshepherds.com/

Do a google for GSD "clubs" in your area for leads for good breeders, of course, do your research on any breed you may choose.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Red face

All Of the dogs I've owned have been fantastic companions and great protectors. With that said, we currently have a chow chow. She has been VERY extensively socialized since birth. She is fantastic with strange children, adults, and dogs... As long as they are introduced my myself, wife, or a few close friends. I would not, however, recommend kicking my door in at 0300 or even yelling at my wife. Chows have one of the most interesting personalities of any dog I've ever known... They are very "cat like" in their demeanor. They enjoy their people but also enjoy their space. If ever considering such a dog, socialization is key from an early age and maintaining a firm alpha role on your part is a must.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Our dogs are getting old and we have been looking at getting some pups. I have been doing research and I think I will get an Anatolian Shepherds.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Here's a question: Do you want a GUARD dog or a WATCH dog?? I have a boxer and a doberman. Both are VERY good with kids (especially the boxer) and are outstanding watch dogs. Our doberman didn't need any training to be excellent at this as it's in his blood. I don't expect him to bite anyone or go on the attack. I don't have the time to train him in Schutzund. But I promise you, if you approach my house he will tell me about it. He knows all the time which windows have the blinds pulled up and he checks them constantly, like he's on patrol. He's VERY high energy, needs alot of exercise. Also a bit of a clown...check into them. Great dogs.

Also...I know all about the "deterioration of the breed in America". Don't care. We rescued him, hes an outstanding pet and watchdog for our house and my wife whem I'm not home. People cross the street because they don't want to walk past my wife if she's out with him.

Feedback Score
    Giant Schnauzer......Great family dog, intelligent, easily trained and very protective ..outstanding guard and watchdog.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast