Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to get a "guard" dog

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BudMan5 View Post
    I am a rfetired LEO working dog handler. After seven years on the street together, I had to put my GSD "Hans" down from injuries. It bothered me so much that i retired rather than getting another dog.

Seriously pay attention to what i am going to say. I have participated in "Schutzhund" training as both a handler/dog trainer and as an agitator in trials. I have working dogs for the better part of forty years.

For your purposes, all you need is a dog that you and your family will looive to death because it has been my experience and evry other dog trainer/handler in the countrry's experience that that bond is the only thing you really need.

I love the GS because of Hans but all the other breeds mentioned here all have their good points and will serve equally well.

But if you accept a dog into your family and encompass the dog into the family so that he excepts the family and his place as his "pack", you really don't have to do much more than that.

For the way you describe your situation, i would suggest a Lab because they are less aggressive and territorial. On the other hand, there are numerous anecdotal stories of Labradors saving their oweners in all kinds of situations and very few where they have misjudged or over reacted in a situation.

And don't downplay any of the samller breeds either, especially terriers ("terrors" is well deserved nickmname). My wife's Jack Russell would die for any of us and while he might not be big enough to stop a threat, he would surely alert us and give us time to stop it ourselves.

Send me PM if you want to talk more.
    Especially Jack Russell's. Very well put. May not stop the a threat but FEARLESS ! And too intelligent ! Lol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    http://www.germanshepherds.com/

Do a google for GSD "clubs" in your area for leads for good breeders, of course, do your research on any breed you may choose.
    Thanks for the link...more info to look at

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
    Here's a question: Do you want a GUARD dog or a WATCH dog?? I have a boxer and a doberman. Both are VERY good with kids (especially the boxer) and are outstanding watch dogs. Our doberman didn't need any training to be excellent at this as it's in his blood. I don't expect him to bite anyone or go on the attack. I don't have the time to train him in Schutzund. But I promise you, if you approach my house he will tell me about it. He knows all the time which windows have the blinds pulled up and he checks them constantly, like he's on patrol. He's VERY high energy, needs alot of exercise. Also a bit of a clown...check into them. Great dogs.

Also...I know all about the "deterioration of the breed in America". Don't care. We rescued him, hes an outstanding pet and watchdog for our house and my wife whem I'm not home. People cross the street because they don't want to walk past my wife if she's out with him.
    I guess I am looking for a very well rounded dog. I am fully commited to obedience training as well acclimation to woods and an active lifestyle. I find myself continually turning towards a GSD as my option. I am going to use the research I have made so far as well as opinions of members here and friends that have GSD. Thanks to all for the opinions and info shared. I guess once I make a decision I will post up pics of the pup, and or pups.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had 3 german shepherds before and all were great. You can teach them anything. Labs are great dogs and I feel like are as smart as the GS. The german shepherd makes a better guard dog. As a young boy, I remember it would chase stray dogs away from me or fight them until they gave up and ran away. Also, one day some cousins from out of town came up and decided they were going to wrestle with me. My GS quickly came to the rescue and chased all three of them away. Then stood guard by me until I told him to go back to his house.

The lab I had would bark then run away. I think they are great for families, but they're more of a watch dog.

Now I have a mut. She's mixed with boxer, chow, GS and what ever else lol.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    if your serious about a "guard" dog then you might as well just purchase one already trained..

check out worldwidecanine. ive heard very good thing about. and usually you have breed options.
    Last edited by Vash1023; 06-03-12 at 10:28.
    "I must study politics and war so that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
    -John Adams
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Albert Einstein
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IYAAYASwarrior View Post
    I guess I am looking for a very well rounded dog. I am fully commited to obedience training as well acclimation to woods and an active lifestyle. I find myself continually turning towards a GSD as my option. I am going to use the research I have made so far as well as opinions of members here and friends that have GSD. Thanks to all for the opinions and info shared. I guess once I make a decision I will post up pics of the pup, and or pups.

GSD are great dogs. I considered one but then I saw a friend brush his once. Birds were literally swooping down and taking the piles of fur to make nests...I just don't have time to vacuum twice a day!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
    GSD are great dogs. I considered one but then I saw a friend brush his once. Birds were literally swooping down and taking the piles of fur to make nests...I just don't have time to vacuum twice a day!
    This is sooooo true. They shed twice a year, the first half and then the second half However its not enough to discourage us, she is simply amazing.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I hit the same crossroad about a year ago. I have two boys - 10 & 8 - and wanted to make sure our family pet wouldn't attack the boy's friends. My wife isn't an alpha female and I wondered about her ability to command a "guard" dog. We had a rotty for a several years, and my wife couldn't get the rotty to respond. As you mentioned, a commitment to training is a must. As BudMan pointed out, any dog needs to be know it's place within the "pack".

Personally, I wouldn't adopt a pet for the purpose you are describing. True, adopted pets are some of the best, most loving out there. But, you don't know what type of irreparable mental damage has been done to that dog. The imprinting of good behavior, and bad, start immediately. Second, adopting a 1 + year old dog robs you of the bonding stages of a pup's life. My wife and children have been able to bond with our current dog and this has allowed them to be confident in their handling and commanding of our dog.

All that said, I decided to go with a GSD. I spent lots of time researching the breed. I interviewed several breeders, talked with local GSD club leaders and members. It took two purchases to finally get it right. The first ended with the tragic death of our pup. A breeder I thought was on the up and up turned out to be a breed farmer. The second guy was just the opposite. My lesson learned, when you are prepared to make the final purchase, call the local vets for another character reference. Most breeders will administer shots and handle the deliveries, but they all have to show up eventually to get the drugs.

Training and proper socialization is the key for you and your dog. Also selecting the right pup from the pack is critical to match your dog to your plans for the pup. A good breeder can assist you in this area. I could spend hours talking about dog selection, as this was something I invested a lot of time in doing. Do your homework with this breed. They are very demanding, shed a ton and have strong personalities. Just remember, a dog is a 12 + year commitment. Make an informed choice.

The New Skeet Monks have written two excellent books about GSD's. I suggest you pick one up. They're an easy read. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

My Zeus

[IMG]
    Untitled by ammac12, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Take any standard dog and put a hoodie on it. Instantly more menacing.

Those are my dogs and they're great dogs but if I wanted a guard dog I'd get a Shepard. I've had friends with shepards and they're just awesome. So loyal, smart and fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Fapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Although I favor Boxer Dogs for house animals, I can not speak ill of GSD's. I am a dog handler for a large federal agency. My first partner was a GSD. If you go that route, make sure you get a hip x-ray from the breeder. They are intelligent, loyal, and want only to serve a purpose for their master. Start the training/socialization at a young age and continue it. The training, grooming, and exercise will serve to further the bond and attachment. This all goes to enhance the dogs drive to be one of the pack and protect it.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast