Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SAVAGE CANCELS 300 BLK PRODUCTION

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I am classic late adopter for new technology. And I have not even been able to see the value in this load. It has been a huge success, one of these days, but not today.
    Unsuppressed, it's just about the perfect whitetail cartridge for anything short of trophy bucks in the far north. In a 6-pound carbine like the M-7, you could still-hunt all day long with it and not get tired. If you're really sneaky, it might work for antelope. It's probably a bit light for bear or elk, but it would do under ideal conditions, especially with a Barnes TSX.

But it would really shine in pig country. Normally you hunt pigs at dusk because that's when they come out. They destroy habitat for other game, so the idea is to whack as many as you can at once. When you fire one unsuppressed shot, the whole herd splits in about a thousand different directions. Suppressed, you can kill several before the rest of them catch on, especially if you focus on the edges of the herd.

It's unfortunate that Savage decided to stick with the classic .30-caliber twist instead of waking up and getting this one right.

The AAC Micro 7 is interesting. The cheekpiece seems like an afterthought until you think about shooting it suppressed vs. unsuppressed. You'll need tall rings to see over the can, so you'll need to hoist the cheekpiece up to keep a good stock weld. Or you could lower the cheekpiece and use it with standard-height rings.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowepg View Post
    Yup... But I decided to do THIS:

Attachment 12405

Sbr, supressed 9mm, glock mags.

Cheaper to shoot and QUIET!
    Very cool! If my memory serves me the MP5 did OK for CQB a time to two. I would love a semi MP5.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Find ManBearPig! View Post
    I have doubts about 9mm for use in a rifle for self defense
    really?

I wouldn't go bear hunting with it, but for a close-quarter, self-defense carbine, I have no doubts about 9mm.

Feedback Score
    really?

I wouldn't go bear hunting with it, but for a close-quarter, self-defense carbine, I have no doubts about 9mm.
    I don't claim to be an expert in terminal ballistics or employing firearms in self defense.

However, there is someone, well respected on this forum, who is qualified to speak on this matter, and I differ to their opinion. I am merely repeating information I have gathered through reading through DocGKR's threads, all of which points towards full size rifle calibers being a superior option compared to pistol calibers.

I will direct you to this thread in particular:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=44869

As I said, I am no expert, but I bet if you asked DocGKR yourself what he would recommend for self defense, an AR in 9mm or .300 Blackout, he would probably say .300 Blackout.
    Taken from a random Sniper's Hide Post
    It's really hard to judge by the size, but that [critter] looks to be in the class of "Big Mother ****er" and perhaps the family of "Stay the **** Back"

Feedback Score
    As I said, I am no expert, but I bet if you asked DocGKR yourself what he would recommend for self defense, an AR in 9mm or .300 Blackout, he would probably say .300 Blackout.
    You missed my point.

I didn't comment on which was BETTER, rather I said *I* would be perfectly confident choosing 9mm for self defense.

I personally went with the 9mm because:
    1. It shares mags with my glock 34, 17 and 26 (which I have tons)
    2. It suppresses VERY quiet.... Id argue nothing other than a .22 is quieter
    3. Its a tried and true caliber.
    4. I wasnt ready for a NEW caliber than I dont already stockpile and reload
    5. cheaper to shoot

My go-to weapon for home defense is a glock21.... mostly because I can keep it safe in my nightstand (moreso than a longgun). However, if I was going to foght my way to a long gun to bring into action, it wouldnt be a 9mm carbine or a .300BO or a 5.56- it would be a 12gauge....

btw, your link shows ballistic comparisons to 5.56, nothing in there about .300 - so not really relevant to this conversation...

Lastly, I think .300 is a cool round... If it takes off, I woudnt be surprised if Im not building one to sit on one of my M4 lowers in the future...
    Last edited by lowepg; 06-03-12 at 01:34.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Lots of things.
    A 9mm is a good handgun round but not such a good carbine round.
    The 12 gauge is a good home defense option but so is a good 5.56 carbine.
    The .300 blackout is too new for me to say how comfortable I would be using it for any kind of self defense. However its going to be better than a pistol caliber carbine.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    A 9mm is a good handgun round but not such a good carbine round.
    Pat
    I don't claim to be an expert in terminal ballistics or employing firearms in self defense.

However, there is someone, well respected on this forum, who is qualified to speak on this matter, and I differ to their opinion. I am merely repeating information I have gathered through reading through DocGKR's threads, all of which points towards full size rifle calibers being a superior option compared to pistol calibers.
    I don't want to dispute the Internet experts here, sounds like they need to send a memo to a few folks:
    Navy Seals
    British SAS
    German GSG9

Those "dummies" have been using 9mm carbines for years!

;-)

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    What do they use now?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I don't want to dispute the Internet experts here, sounds like they need to send a memo to a few folks:
    Navy Seals
    British SAS
    German GSG9

Those "dummies" have been using 9mm carbines for years!

;-)
    "Had" been using would be a more apt description.

Feedback Score
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but for a little over two decades, MP5s in 9mm were the "go to" SMGs for hostage rescue with SOF forces around the world. A few reasons the switch was made in the U.S., was for a more common weapon system (M-4) and the 5.56mm caliber, which offered more lethality, regardless of barrel length, over the 9mm. It also streamlined logistics. The rest of the world, noticed what we did and followed suit. The MP5 series and other SMGs in 9mm, are still in use with some international & domestic SWAT teams, although currently, not so much.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast