Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning/Maintenance of SPR barrel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cleaning/Maintenance of SPR barrel

I am a new owner of a MK12 with an 18" stainless steel barrel. I am curious what the differences might be in cleaning and maintaining this type of barrel as opposed to a chromed or other lined barrel typically used in a non-precision AR. Are there different tools that are required or recommended to maintain accuracy? Tools that should definitely not be used (e.g., certain solvents, brass brushes). I would hate to mess up my new rifle from the get-go with improper cleaning.

Feedback Score
    I found this helpful.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/impdf/barrelcare.pdf

How does she shoot?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In doing further research on the net, I have found articles saying to use only bronze brushes, never stainless, while another articles says absolutely never use a bore brush at all. A note from Douglas Barrels Inc. that came with the rifle says that if you use a wire bristle brush in a SS barrel, do so with care. What is a guy to do?

One guy says use Shooters' Choice copper remover - another says never use ammonia based solvents on SS barrels.

Just curious what you guys use on your 416 stainless barrels and how often you clean it.

Feedback Score
    A nylon bush is another option and very few strokes are needed. I clean before ever shooting the new rifle, after the first range trip, and then at around 400 rounds (SPR barrel). You will get a hundred different opinions - and there are several big ass threads worth using the search button to find. Noveske's is as good as any, IMO.

The biggest thing is don't over do it - you will cause more damage from a poor and heavy cleaning than you will shooting the gun dirty. A little copper in the barrel is good - and certainly better than stripping it on a regular basis. (IMO, YMMV, etc.)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In general, shoot more and clean less. You likely will have to clean a lot less often than you think. But, eventually the time will come when accuracy will drop off. When it does:

Here's an older post of mine that is somewhat relevant here, although it focuses on making specific product recommendations rather than outline a procedure.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91357

I have my own idiosyncrasies when it comes to cleaning, as I think most precision shooters do. We're anal, type-a, detail obsessed people by nature, so everyone will have their own little methods and quirks. Instead of typing out what exactly I do, I'll just link you to Krieger's maintenance section, which should answer most any question you have. There are few companies in the world that have as much experience and knowledge about precision barrels as Krieger, so you can place high value on their advice compared to the endless pages of bullshit on the internet about barrel maintenance.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_...246-wp2558.htm

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by a0cake; 06-02-12 at 01:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    In general, shoot more and clean less. You likely will have to clean a lot less often than you think. But, eventually the time will come when accuracy will drop off. When it does:

Here's an older post of mine that is somewhat relevant here, although it focuses on making specific product recommendations rather than outline a procedure.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91357

I have my own idiosyncrasies when it comes to cleaning, as I think most precision shooters do. We're anal, type-a, detail obsessed people by nature, so everyone will have their own little methods and quirks. Instead of typing out what exactly I do, I'll just link you to Krieger's maintenance section, which should answer most any question you have. There are few companies in the world that have as much experience and knowledge about precision barrels as Krieger, so you can place high value on their advice compared to the endless pages of bullshit on the internet about barrel maintenance.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_...246-wp2558.htm

Hope this helps.
    Great info in those links. Thanks!

One piece of info I got from someone at KAC was to clean and defoul a new barrel after each 5 shot group. The idea is that keeping copper out of the barrel lets successive bullets smooth the steel of the bore rather than just burnish any copper deposits. The Krieger guide seems to hint at that( even mentioning a "fire one shot and clean" regimen), but didn't explicitly recommend it.

Seems as if you guys don't do anything like that.
    Last edited by SigFanM4; 06-02-12 at 12:36.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think this thread is more directed toward routine cleaning as opposed to break in.

I think break-in depends on the finish of the barrel to start with, some won't need it, others may see a benefit.

For routine cleaning, I remove carbon until things open up. If I notice groups getting bigger, I'll strip all of the copper.

The intresting thing about removing copper is that I've always noticed slightly bigger groups to start. After a few rounds things settle back down.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My routine cleaning does not involve trying to remove copper deposits.
    Unless the rifle will be fired say less then 4-5 times and then cleaned and copper removed then its a waste of time.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    More and more the tactical (not bench rest) are shooting 300 or so rounds before cleaning. I have a WOA 18SS barrel. I pay it no special attention, I clean whenever I get around to it.

IMHO, use whatever you want to clean it. Get a a good guide, I use nylon brushes. Get a coated cleaning rod and I don't worry about copper, maybe once a year.

As was already said, you cleaning the shit out of it will probably do more harm than a little copper. If accuracy goes to shit, clean it.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SigFanM4 View Post
    I am a new owner of a MK12 with an 18" stainless steel barrel. I am curious what the differences might be in cleaning and maintaining this type of barrel as opposed to a chromed or other lined barrel typically used in a non-precision AR. Are there different tools that are required or recommended to maintain accuracy? Tools that should definitely not be used (e.g., certain solvents, brass brushes). I would hate to mess up my new rifle from the get-go with improper cleaning.
    I clean my 2 Noveske stainless barrels approx. every 500 rounds. So, far I have noted very little copper build up. I essentially follow the guide linked from the manufacturer. I always use a coated rod and bore guide and use Hopes 9 and swedes 7.62 for cleaning.

I agree with others that excessive cleaning is not very beneficial.

SkiDevil
    Last edited by SkiDevil; 06-03-12 at 15:44.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast